Onan Generator --> 120vac system disconnect

allensk

I have 2010 ERA 170" Sprinter 40,000 miles. It's a 2008 chassis with a Winnebago conversion done in 2010.

Running the generator the cabin 120vac system came on briefly, then failed. No clock light on microwave, no green light on cabin 120vac receptacles. Nada. Restarted generator and no joy. Cabin electrical system does not connect. System works fine on shore power.

Things got worse because now the battery drains to zero and vehicle won't start without jumping. I jumper started, drove for an hour and shut her down, then released the battery isolation connection down by the gas pedal. When I reconnect, vehicle starts OK.

Is there really a reset breaker on the front of the generator as the manual says? I crawled under and was unable to locate it. If there is anyone with some experience with this problem, I'd really appreciate some help. If I can avoid the $500 trip to Campingworld I would be doubly grateful!

Last edited:

icarus

There should be a reset on the genny, as well as a main breaker. RTFM.

The bigger question now would be what is killing both the house and thvehicle batteries. That should be looked into right away, and to be perfectly honest, I am not sure camping world is the best place for this kind of problem.

Icarus

allensk

Icarus, yes, I agree, and the manual describes a reset button on the front of generator, but I have not been able to locate it to reset. Also, have not found any "Main breaker" in the electrical panel located aft next to refrigerator. Is there another circuit breaker panel in the cabin?

I suspect the battery draining problem is related to the generator --> 120vac disconnect issue. But, I think it may not be a reset or a circuit breaker because of an odd thing about the process of the failure. When it first failed, I noticed the lights in the microwave go out. When I restarted the generator, the microwave light came on for a second or two, flickered, then went out. That is odd, is it not?

showkey

My RV is in storage or I would take a picture of the generator automatic transfer switch. It is in the compartment next the generator. You should be able to follow the the generator leads to the transfer switch. Suspect the transfer switch is faulty.......stuck in the shore power position.

Top Bottom