PDA

View Full Version : Custom Features on my '06 - imponderables

ritchj
03-19-2008, 03:10 AM
Couple of custom features on my 'new to me' Sprinter @ 11k miles.

1. I filled the tank, drove 2.4 miles, and parked. As the day got warmer diesel started leaking from the top of the tank. Heat expansion causes leakage -probably, but how easy is it to drop-tank and take a look? Is there an over-pressure safety that could be inop?

2. High beams have an automatic wiper feature. Hit the high beams and the wipers wipe. Pull the fuse for the wipers and the turn signals stop. No I don't think there have been many shenannagans relating to steering column additions, but is that a way to tell someone has pulled power from the wrong spot under the seat? Other thoughts?

BaywoodBill
03-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Sounds like gremlins, that WWII nemesis of military equipment. :bounce: But, to be serious, it's clear some wiring activity has transpired and I hope someone on here knows enough about that kind of thing to help you.

sikwan
03-20-2008, 07:00 PM
1. I filled the tank, drove 2.4 miles, and parked. As the day got warmer diesel started leaking from the top of the tank. Heat expansion causes leakage -probably, but how easy is it to drop-tank and take a look? Is there an over-pressure safety that could be inop?

In what area of the tank is it leaking? Close to the filler tube, towards the rear, closer to the driveshaft?

Unless the tank is sitting in the sun, I don't even think 110F ambient is enough to make the fuel expand in the tank. :idunno:

2. High beams have an automatic wiper feature. Hit the high beams and the wipers wipe. Pull the fuse for the wipers and the turn signals stop. No I don't think there have been many shenannagans relating to steering column additions, but is that a way to tell someone has pulled power from the wrong spot under the seat? Other thoughts?

Unless you can see the wires by looking underneath the column, you best bet is to disassemble the column and look at the wires and maybe remove the fuse box.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5196&d=1197750077

Some instructions here...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2360