2007 Oil leak-drivers side

vette850

I've had an increasing oil leak on the drivers side of my 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500 Cargo van. It LOOKS like it is coming from the rear driver side corner or the oil pan right behind the starter. It drips down the bellhousing and onto the crossmembers. It doesn't seem to leak when the truck is just sitting still, only after I've been driving around. I've read that it could be several different items, what do you guys think? Of course it started leaking 3 months after the 5 years was up on my warranty......this shouldn't happen, especially on a $43k truck!!!! It only has 50k miles on it....

Thanks.

Last edited:

scubanw3

If it has gradually become worse and is a reasonable size leak, then I would consider the oil cooler o-rings being the culprit. We've done several oil cooler leak repairs lately. It's becoming a more common problem. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

Last edited:

vette850

I pulled the air cleaner and engine cover off. There is a decent amount of oil laying in the inlet of the turbo. It's not enough to drip down, but is this normal? I see an accumulation of burned oil sitting on the top of the engine. What is the black box in front and below the turbo? Do I have to removed the turbo to repair the oil cooler o-rings? Does anyone have a list of steps/pictures to replace the o-rings? Thanks for any help!

scubanw3

The turbo will weep oil but not enough to pool and create a major oil leak. The black box you are referring to is the swirl valve actuator. The accumulation of burned oil sitting on the top of the engine would be the oil from the cooler. To install new cooler o-rings is a major undertaking and a real PITA!! Turbo off, swirl valve manifolds off, and then more and then even more, yuk! Not for the faint of heart! Sorry, it is a stupid design and is costly to deal with (assuming this is your problem). Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Sprinter Store
http://sprinterstore.com/
A division of Upscale Automotive, Inc.
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
503-692-0846

tadeo1

Stop, right now, fix or have this fixed. My 2008 with 20K miles started leaking, the stupid dealer in San Jose, Ca, said it fix it, at 30K miles the turbo stopped working, fortunately I bought an extended warranty and Putnam Chrysler fixed it, $100 from my pocket and near $5000 of parts and repair. FIX IT NOW OR YOU WILL BE SORRY.

vette850

I just called the dealer but the tech that handles Sprinters isn't in till monday. I've rebuilt engines in the past but I just don't have the patience for this..... Most people say it's an pain in the butt, especially because of turbo removal. Has anyone heard of Mercedes (doing the right thing) and at least helping with the cost of repair? This shouldn't happen at 50k miles........ Even though I'm 6 months over the 5 yr warranty?

Last edited:

Top Bottom