PDA

View Full Version : Car care products

contractor
03-16-2008, 10:46 PM
My Sprinter has been on the road for a little over two years and up till now has only received washes.
I need two recommendations please:

1) A good Bug and Tar remover that won't also remove the paint:smirk:

2) A wax that is easy to apply. I bought a product called "Ice" because they claim you can get it on the black trim and it won't turn it white (I like that) but I was told this product doesn't work very well and so I did not use it. Are there similar products with that feature? Anyway, the name of a good wax that is easy to apply (not a caruba) would be appreciated.

Thanks

mobileoilchange
03-17-2008, 01:54 AM
a good bug and tar remover is:
called kerosene fuel or lighter fluid. or you can go to your local paint store and buy some "wax and grease remover"
we use PPG

or their is a product called "bug remover" its a white spray bottle that you spray on and it soaks and makes removing bugs and tar a breeze. or you can buy it by the gallon also.

i like mothers products for waxes and cleaners
and like meguiars waxes and detail products even better. thats what we use for the custom cars we build,paint and show.

SprinterWisc
03-18-2008, 04:27 AM
I use an electric buffer to apply and take off the wax. I couldn't imagine doing that job by hand - I'd need new shoulders after a few times doing that! The buffer makes the job MUCH easier.

mobileoilchange
03-18-2008, 01:22 PM
if you were to use clay on the whole van you may want to buy a few bars lol.

clay works great at removing debri, sap, specks etc from the paint. but with a van the size of the sprinter, youll be-a-hurtin.
then after that nice bath give it a good coating of carnauba wax.

contractor
03-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Yes, I use to have a buffer and sold it because I never thought I would ever like a vehicle enough to wax it. We still own a '98 voyager (bought it new) and it has never seen a coat of wax:smilewink:

The clay and caruba sounds like the recipe for a rotator cuff injury:laughing:

Doesn't anyone have a magic bullet? Spritz something on, wipe it off, and presto?

mobileoilchange
03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
mothers has a spray detail wax called "show time" but its more like a detailer spray then a carnauba paste or liquid wax. ive used it before on vehicles that were freshly washed and dried then applied the "show time" with good results. but like i said it dont last like a wax does. but it went on easy, and looked good. if your sprinter is white, its not gonna give you much of a difference. but if your sprinter is blue, red, green black etc then you may notice a difference in your paint with less swirl marks, and light paint haze.

if your paint is dull, hazy, scratchy etc you need it rubbed out with a air or electric buffer and with rubbing compound, then hand glaze it, then wax it. we use air buffers because the electric ones suck in my opinion, and sometimes give you a static zap. but when you use a power buffer with rubbing compound, you MUST be carefull because it cuts fast and you could burn through the paint. if that happens the only fix is to repaint it. the areas to watch most are edges, body lines, trim and gaps. a old tip for 1st timers is to use masking tape on all edges to avoid burning through the paint. and to keep the buffer moving and not applying to much speed and pressue to the buffer. let the buffer do the work, and dont get the panel hot or youll warp it. use a foam waffel pad if your new to this as it reduces swirl marks and keeps the panel cooler and less chance of burning through the paint. also dont let the compound dry to long or it may stain the paint.

think of automotive wax as a body lotion for the skin.

contractor
03-22-2008, 12:19 AM
mothers has a spray detail wax called "show time" but its more like a detailer spray then a carnauba paste or liquid wax. ive used it before on vehicles that were freshly washed and dried then applied the "show time" with good results. but like i said it dont last like a wax does. but it went on easy, and looked good. if your sprinter is white, its not gonna give you much of a difference. but if your sprinter is blue, red, green black etc then you may notice a difference in your paint with less swirl marks, and light paint haze.

if your paint is dull, hazy, scratchy etc you need it rubbed out with a air or electric buffer and with rubbing compound, then hand glaze it, then wax it. we use air buffers because the electric ones suck in my opinion, and sometimes give you a static zap. but when you use a power buffer with rubbing compound, you MUST be carefull because it cuts fast and you could burn through the paint. if that happens the only fix is to repaint it. the areas to watch most are edges, body lines, trim and gaps. a old tip for 1st timers is to use masking tape on all edges to avoid burning through the paint. and to keep the buffer moving and not applying to much speed and pressue to the buffer. let the buffer do the work, and dont get the panel hot or youll warp it. use a foam waffel pad if your new to this as it reduces swirl marks and keeps the panel cooler and less chance of burning through the paint. also dont let the compound dry to long or it may stain the paint.

think of automotive wax as a body lotion for the skin.

Thanks Mobil

I'll give that "show time" a try. I hope it is not a silicone because that really doesn't do much. I really want something easy and so I will skip the whole buffing scene.

Nate
03-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I've hand waxed my van twice since I've owned it and i'm getting ready to do it again.

It does take awhile and you will sleep really well that night.
I use Meguiars for the van and am very happy with the results. This time around i'm actually going to do the roof because I looked up there and it was really dirty which was giving light black streaks down the sides after rain.

contractor
03-23-2008, 03:57 AM
One of the reasons I'm motivated to wax my Sprinter is the result of some of the posts I've read about premature rust spots on their white van. I too have noticed these rust spots with only 22K.

I have a theory and hope it is correct.

I found an old bottle of McGuires Cleaner Wax and applied it to a one sq. ft. area that clearly had these spots ... they were all removed. I'm thinking that these rust spots may be from foreign metal (such as brake rotors) and not coming thru the paint. I have also noticed my wheels are loaded with these spots too.

I have not noticed these rust spots higher than 3' up.

mobileoilchange
03-23-2008, 05:54 AM
Re: Car care products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the reasons I'm motivated to wax my Sprinter is the result of some of the posts I've read about premature rust spots on their white van. I too have noticed these rust spots with only 22K.

I have a theory and hope it is correct.

I found an old bottle of McGuires Cleaner Wax and applied it to a one sq. ft. area that clearly had these spots ... they were all removed. I'm thinking that these rust spots may be from foreign metal (such as brake rotors) and not coming thru the paint. I have also noticed my wheels are loaded with these spots too.

I have not noticed these rust spots higher than 3' up.

you are correct!
it is from brake dust. the best way to remove it without doing harm to the paint is to use a "CLAY" bar. it will remove all speckels, dirt, wax, debri, bird stains etc. its good to "clay" your vehicle at least once a year and follow up with a good carnauba wax.