axle ratio and mpg

$5pergallon

hello everybody
I'm looking into buying a 07 hi roof 140wb diesel sprinter. With the reason that
it is a very utilitarian vehicle with good mpg. I dont need it for work or anything,
but just for camping and whatever else you need a vehicle for. Since they supposedly get
better mpg than most cars I'm thinking why not.
Now I've been reading all these horror threads about how horrible the mpg on the new sprinter is.
14mpg is unacceptable these days. Dont they get above 25mpg?
Does the axle ratio really make a big difference? The one I'm looking at has a 4.18 ratio. The dealer
told me that this makes a very small difference in mpg. Is that true or is he just trying to sell me
what he's got?
Are the new sprinters just not living up to the first generations reputation?
Should I look into getting a old used 5 cylinder?
Any advice is appreciated.
thank you

Last edited:

mgjessop

The axle ratio will hurt mpg's... But the worst thing is the DPF... All the eco crap they put on the new clean diesel engines kills fuel economy.. If you get a 2006 140, you should see 25-30mpg... Depending on how you drive... If you get a 2007 you will be lucky to get 20mpg... The new sprinters are no longer get good mpg... Fuel economy on the new sprinters is at least 25-40% worse then the old ones... Best of luck to you...

Sprinter

Exactly,

I agree You should find some nice 2005-06, pre DPF Sprinter. 25 MPG in 2007 You can forget, even it may happen, it won't be on regular basis. You would see 20+ if
- empty or little load
- easy foot and speed under 60MPH (who's got time for that?)
- summer fuel

With winter fuel and cold weather it would be below 20MPG, sometimes as bad as 17-18 MPG depending on speed, outside temperature, idle time even fuel brand.

With fuel prices getting close to $5 now I would think twice before getting 2007.
Good luck

contractor

The axle ratio will hurt mpg's... But the worst thing is the DPF... All the eco crap they put on the new clean diesel engines kills fuel economy.. If you get a 2006 140, you should see 25-30mpg... Depending on how you drive... If you get a 2007 you will be lucky to get 20mpg... The new sprinters are no longer get good mpg... Fuel economy on the new sprinters is at least 25-40% worse then the old ones... Best of luck to you...
Remember the old caveat that actual mileage may vary. I HAVE NEVER GOT 25-30 MPG ... NOT EVEN CLOSE. I get 21 in the summer and 19 in the winter and I drive with a light foot but do run at 65 MPH on the highway.

mobileoilchange

mb went backwards when they installed the 3.0l.....they should of kept the 2.7l inline 5 cylinder. dont get the 4.18 gear, you dont need them.

merdas

I get 20 mpg, mostly city driving. In the beginning (September last year) I remember I got 21 mpg, this was the best I could get. I have high roof 07 with 4.18 axle ratio. Last weekend I towed my jeep wrangler to the off-road park and the fuel economy dropped to 13-14 mpg. My jeep is about 4500 lbs with 35" tires so the Sprinters towing capacity was pushed almost to the max.:cheers:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Remember the old caveat that actual mileage may vary. I HAVE NEVER GOT 25-30 MPG ... NOT EVEN CLOSE. I get 21 in the summer and 19 in the winter and I drive with a light foot but do run at 65 MPH on the highway.
My 06 T1N passenger hand calculated gets 24mpg consistently driving at 70mph when we were on our road trip. I get 22mpg driving in the city.

I'm sure I can get 28mpg if I drive 55mph, but as the song goes...

[YOUTUBE]N_QmludKu1g[/YOUTUBE]

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I'm surpised to read suggestions of T1Ns only achieving twenty to the gallon - I would have to take mine on the track to drop it that low!

My 2000 416CDI consistently returns 27mpg, and I know I can get over 30 if I try (imperial gallons).

I concur with observations about the NCV3's relatively poorer economy: no one I know who has bought one (and I know a lot who have) has said how good the economy is - indeed everyone says the reverse.

Simon

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

I'm surpised to read suggestions of T1Ns only achieving twenty to the gallon - I would have to take mine on the track to drop it that low!

My 2000 416CDI consistently returns 27mpg, and I know I can get over 30 if I try (imperial gallons).

I concur with observations about the NCV3's relatively poorer economy: no one I know who has bought one (and I know a lot who have) has said how good the economy is - indeed everyone says the reverse.

Simon
Here in the US we're working with US gallons and 27 mpg imperial is 22.5 mpg US (27 X 0.833). Given the right conditions, I can sometimes get to 29 mpg US with my '02 - that's almost 35 mpg imperial. I can see that someone with a high axle ratio, 15" wheels and running fast could average 20 mpg US with a T1N.

Suba

I can see that someone with a high axle ratio, 15" wheels and running fast could average 20 mpg US with a T1N.
No doubt that is true. I have a 158 hightop 04. I'm getting 25.5 to 26 mpg highway on winter fuel, but I drive 55 to 58 mph. I recently found some # 2 fuel. With a quarter tank of # 1 and the rest # 2, I got 28 mpg.

If you keep your Sprinter under 60, you'll get pretty good mileage, but 55 to 58 ( no change in mileage for me ) seems best. Driving fast is sort of a habit I think. Allow yourself more time to get to your destination, and slow down. Once you get into the habit of driving slower, it seems very natural and you'll be amazed how far a tank of fuel will go.

contractor

My 06 T1N passenger hand calculated gets 24mpg consistently driving at 70mph when we were on our road trip. I get 22mpg driving in the city.

I'm sure I can get 28mpg if I drive 55mph, but as the song goes...

[YOUTUBE]N_QmludKu1g[/YOUTUBE]
That was too funny Seek.

Yes I can't drive 55 mph. One day I'm going to run a half tank (not exceeding 55MPH) and see what the mileage does.

talkinghorse43

That was too funny Seek.

Yes I can't drive 55 mph. One day I'm going to run a half tank (not exceeding 55MPH) and see what the mileage does.
I thought I couldn't drive 55 either, but I've noticed that it's easier that way. By that I mean, I rarely have to worry about coming up on a slower driver since I'm almost the slowest on the road and the traffic just flows around me like water around a rock in a stream. So, basically, the road is mostly open in front of me. I have worried a little though about the traffic approaching me from the rear. I've observed that there's little problem with auto traffic, but 18 wheelers are reluctant to slow down on a downhill and can get pretty close before they either decide to pull out or hit the brakes. So, I've taken a hint from bicycle riders and installed a small amber xenon strobe on the back door (off the license plate bracket) and that's been very successful so far. Since installation, I've noticed traffic pulls out/slows down much farther back than before. I choose when to activate the strobe and simply plug it into the console 12v socket when needed. The link below shows the strobe I'm using.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=STROBE-3A&type=store

Suba

I thought I couldn't drive 55 either, but I've noticed that it's easier that way. By that I mean, I rarely have to worry about coming up on a slower driver since I'm almost the slowest on the road and the traffic just flows around me like water around a rock in a stream. So, basically, the road is mostly open in front of me.
Very true.

I think driving fast is just a habit. It will take some time to break that habit. Like I said, allow yourself enough time to reach your destination. Just plan better. When you drive fast you are also increasing your physiology in that you are in a higher state of awareness. This in itself is fatiguing. Vibrations also increase ( not as the Beach Boys once said......Good Vibrations ) as well as noise and let's not forget fuel consumption.

You see more and more truckers and expediters going 55. Not only does that save fuel, but it makes for a more enjoyable and safer trip.

Slow down......and enjoy the ride.

NYC SPRINTERS

Simon
yes but your truck is 6spd stick shift!!! we have auto trany.

Once you get into the habit of driving slower, it seems very natural and you'll be amazed how far a tank of fuel will go.
WELL said Suba! :clapping:

I have been driving no more than 55mph on this tank of fuel that I have right now, and I'm looking at just under 29mpg right now. With how much driving I do and the rising costs of fuel, I am MORE than willing to leave a little earlier if it's going to save me $ in the long run.

Assuming one can travel approximately 65 miles in 1 hour at 65mph, a 100-mile trip would take approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes. Going 55mph, that same trip would take 1 hour and 45 minutes. For 10 minutes, we're talking 20-21mpg vs. 27-29mpg. It's worth it to me.

Although - I have to admit - going 55mph on the interstate can be scary sometimes. People come right up to your bumper, and then whip around you. Don't they realize I'm bigger than them!! :thumbup:

I would also second Suba's observations about truckers slowing down, but it seems that for them, their speed doesn't make a huge difference. If they're loaded or unloaded, going 55 or 65, they're getting about 6-7 mpg, so unfortunately, not a huge difference for them.

I dunno ... it seems to me that the new NCV Sprinters are getting that "Mercedes-Benz high-tech" look to them with the fancy displays and lots more gadgets. One of the reasons I love my T1N is that I still have temperature and air control knobs. I like simple when it comes to that stuff. I wonder if Chrysler is trying to attract a higher caliber of folks to the Sprinter nowadays?

God willing, the new Sprinters won't inherit Mercedes' well-known "electrical gremlin" issues. Though a good number have been worked out in several models now, the C-class models suffered a LOT, and many people bailed. Spening 40k+ for a car and then having it sit at the dealership more than it sits in your garage is unacceptable! :)

-Michael

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
yes but your truck is 6spd stick shift!!! we have auto trany.
Actually Simon has a 6 speed sprintshift semi automated clutch-less trans
Tins manual 5 speed only
I can validate low 9-10 Liters per hundred Kilometers and or the 316-416 single and or dual rear wheels cargo units will do...US 30 MPG on a Highway run...based on local fleet operator down under in my sector.
He has a NCV3 V6 6 speed standard auto ,which is in the fleet of 28 Merc Sprinters old and new models all types and engines but has retired it for personal use, as to the fact he can only get high 16 per liter x100 Kilometers, mind you he freely admitted he couldn't keep his foot of the pedal either:shifty: going up Spring Hill...Midlands hi-way and blasting Ford Transits off the road at a 137 KM. fully loaded.
Independent trucking organizations in the US have a nominated proven test that the NCV3 has an average of US 20.5 MPG hear say... no figures to back it up, or at least I could not find a reference to it on the site, nor did it say which and what type Sprinter and or model varinats, was being tested.:idunno:
However it topped all competition Ford got the worst figure, but I 'm not sure if a Ford or GM unit can be used as a fair compassion against the Sprinter.
Personally the axle ratio of 4.182 is definitely wrong, it should have been! as it is now standard a 3.923 axle ratio. By the way Simons axle ratio is in the low 4's I think its a 4.111 those sprintshift ratios get me confused:thinking: maybe Simon can verify that one.
Have a Nice day Folks.
Richard.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
yes but your truck is 6spd stick shift!!!

Err, no it isn't friend - as detailed above by Richard.

Also consider that it's a six wheeler (greater rolling resistance), weighs at least 2,600kgs when empty (which it rarely is), and is a long wheelbase high roof build (the least aerodynamic cargo size). Will verify ratio.

Simon

Last edited:

Top Bottom