PDA

View Full Version : StarMOBILE Desktop Client, TechAuthority Connection Tweak

jdcaples
10-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Have you seen or experienced anything like this?

The issue is around the encryption used for the network traffic.

I use StarMOBILE Desktop Client (SMDC) v10.02.

My Thinkpad T400 runs Java Version 7 Update 45 on Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1.

Here's a work-around that worked for me.

-Jon

jdcaples
02-11-2014, 08:21 PM
When I posted these instructions, I was in a hurry.

The instructions in the first posting are targeted towards owners of Chrysler's StarMOBILE and users of StarMOBILE Desktop Client (SMDC) v10.02, who also need SMDC access to Techauthority.

Background: Independent repair shops - and individuals like me - may use StarMOBILE to diagnose supported vehicles. SMDC occasionally require access to Techauthority.com.

Why? A technician may want to download flash files (programming updates) for an electronic control module.

To access Techauthority, one needs to subscribe, enter the login credentials in the SMDC. This allows SMDC to initiate an SSL connection to Techauthority (just like your browser when you go to https://www.techauthority.com), except it's the SMDC doing it on your behalf.

Accessing techauthority is now broken on many SDMC installs because DCC Tools is no longer releasing new versions of SMDC.

To make an SSL connection, any software that does SSL must have a list of certificate authorities like Verisign and the certificate authority's public certificate (I'm going to call that a CAcert).

In the case of SMDC, the list of CAcerts - which (years ago) shipped with v10.02 - is now stale.

The solution above refreshes that list, restoring SSL connectivity to techauthority by SMDC users.

...and yes, we'll have to do this as long as we continue living in the past, using SMDC with Techauthority and stubbornly not upgrading to Chrysler's WiTECH scan tool (StarMOBILE's successor).

Clear as mud? Yeah. I know and I do client/server type network stuff for a living.

-Jon

For the search engines:
StarMOBILE can't login to / reach / use techauthority
the web site works but the desktop client can't talk to techauthority