PDA

View Full Version : Towing

Fredbaly
10-22-2013, 05:21 AM
I wanted to hear success stories towing enclosed trailers.
How big and what type of mpg are you guys getting?
Also what size Sprinter do you have?
I am trying to see what size I would add if I were to buy a trailer.

atulin
10-22-2013, 06:05 AM
I have a 7x16 flat front enclosed trailer with a 7ft 3in? interior height. It's a few inches taller than the sprinter roof. Empty weight for the trailer plus the E-track I've added is around 2750lb. With about 300lb of stuff in the trailer I crossed the scales at the dump at 12,020lb. Sprinter specs are below. I have a stupid amount of crap on my roof (more than in the old photo above) that I'm pretty sure really hurts me at highway speeds. My mpg also varies about 1 or 2mpg if I'm running the rear air and have other junk on really pushing the alternator. Is that enough setup for a low number...

The last long towing trip I took was about 2800 miles with an average cargo weight in the trailer of probably 2000lb while running A/C, result was 11.5mpg - Adding the Renntech ECU upgrade really helped with getting that weight going and maintaining on hills but mpg is the same or a little down.

I'm pretty much at the rated weight limit for a 3500 with that setup but other than the mpg it tows great after the ECU upgrade. I have a tractor coming in a couple weeks that with the loader and backhoe is about 4000lb so I'm getting a 20ft flatbed to keep me under the max GCVW.

Another important factor I really worried when buying my trailer was being able to reasonably fit in two parking spaces at the home depot. My setup works for that but some of the v nosed 16ft trailers I looked at had a longer overall length.

sailquik
10-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Fredbaly;
I tow a 4,500 lb. H&H enclosed V nose 7' x 14' x 9' cargo trailer that weighs around 4,500 lbs.
I've towed the same trailer with a
Dodge 3500 '06 T1N 158wb HT;
2010 Mercedes Benz 3500 144" wb HT SB;
2011 MB 3500 170"wb HT SB;
2012 MB 3500 170" wb HT sb,
and my current new Sprinter 2014 MB 516/3500 170" wb HT SB.

All of these have been the 516/3500 rear wheel Sprinters with the 4.182:1 rear axle ratio.
I've got a lot of miles, and have used a Scan Gauge II to help improve my towing mileage.
Best mileage I've gotten with this trailer was with the '06 T1N which got 13-16 mpg pretty consistently (depends on grade and winds a lot).
The NCV3's got in the 12.5-15 MPG range.
Not sure about the 2014 NCV3 with the OM-651 2.1 liter dual turbo engine. I've only done one trip with the trailer. 12.518 mpg into strong headwinds for an 80 mile trip one way and around 18 mpg for the 80 miles back with the wind behind me.
You will get a lot better mileage if you select a trailer that's only 6 ft wide.
7 feet wide puts the fenders and about 6" per side out in the slipstream.
You can see my current Sprinter and trailer in my Avatar.
Roger

Fredbaly
10-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Interesting ...
I have the longest wheel base and tallest Sprinter from last year. 2500 not the 3500.
I honestly was going to keep the trailer part smaller. I already pack in three bikes into the back.

I am thinking maybe a 12 ft vnose.

sailquik
10-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Fredbaly,
12 ft V-nose x 6 ft wide and you will get great mileage.
My windsurfing gear will not fit in a 12 ft. trailer and some of the boards are 39.37" (100 cm wide) so I need the
width.
I'm thinking of having a custom trailer made that has the same profile as the rear of my Sprinter.
I'll have a lot of figuring out to do to get all the WS gear into a narrower (maybe shorter), but lighter and more wind
efficient trailer.
Roger

Torchwater
10-23-2013, 02:44 AM
Interesting ...
I have the longest wheel base and tallest Sprinter from last year. 2500 not the 3500.
I honestly was going to keep the trailer part smaller. I already pack in three bikes into the back.

I am thinking maybe a 12 ft vnose.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a 20' H&H vnose trailer I need to trade in for a 12-14' trailer, so my 2500 will pull it. I would love a feather light cargo, but they are way to pricey.:rolleyes:

If I had the time, I would build one.

dynaco1
10-23-2013, 02:45 AM
It's nice to know I'm not the only one hanging on a longboard. You must have quite the collection of longboards and quiver of sails to need a 14' V-nose trailer. Where do you sail most? Are you a sailboard sales rep?

MillionMileSprinter
10-23-2013, 03:37 AM
I towed a 4500# travel trailer all over the East Coast of the US this summer. It was a few inches higher and wider than my '06 long/tall 2500 Sprinter. I averaged 14mpg with it. I really found the trick to stable towing was weight placement. My travel trailer has a "garage" in the back and I stored lots of heavy stuff back there... which really shifted the trailer weight to behind the back wheels instead of in front of them. This made the trailer sway over 55mph. After a few days of driving like this and reading reading reading, I got rid of some of the things I had that I hadn't used and moved the other heavy stuff I could to storage in the front of the trailer. Drove like a different trailer. I could do 65mph no problem. I found that getting up that high really decreased my MPGs, so I kept my speed at 60mph for the best combination of getting to our destination in a timely fashion, ease of driving a huge road train around and good MPGs.
(the photo is of my '02 medium/short 2500 towing the trailer. I sold that Sprinter and now tow the trailer with my '06 long/tall 2500)

sailquik
10-23-2013, 03:37 AM
dynaco1,
Ever hear of the Sailworks/Starboard Demo tour or the "A Taste of Windsurfing" Instructional tour.
I'm that Sailquik/Roger.
So, while I don't carry any longboard in my trailer, I carry about 7 or 8 high performance Starboard
short boards, and 6 training boards (Starboard Starts and Rio's ...sort of like short long boards.
An I carry aabout 14 or 15 different race, free race, and slalom sails plus 6 or 7 Sailworks Retro Ripper
trainer rigs.
So, yes, a whole lot of WS gear.
Roger

72chevy4x4
10-23-2013, 01:28 PM
55131 I have a tractor coming in a couple weeks that with the loader and backhoe is about 4000lb so I'm getting a 20ft flatbed to keep me under the max GCVW

what is GCVW again? IIRC, isn't max towing 5k? Dovetail 7k may be more than 1,000 lbs.

72chevy4x4
10-23-2013, 01:33 PM
speaking of trailers and slipstream-the v-noses that I have seen all go from max width to a V. Wonder how/if a trapezoidal would be more beneficial for keeping the slipstream from curling in to much and pushing on the trailer. Below, the S=Sprinter, H=Hitch and T=Trailer. Downside is the turning trailer V still needs to be far enough away so that it doesn't hit on tight turns

SSSSSSSSSSSS
H
H
TTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Aqua Puttana
10-23-2013, 01:42 PM
... IIRC, isn't max towing 5k? ...
Generally speaking. From my research the NCV3 3500 cargo can be 7500# unless it is the 170 extended WB model.

There is more discussion in the thread. If interested just click on the blue arrow in the quote box to access the thread.

To get back to WDH and Sprinters.

I did some searching. It isn't as easy to track down the real information as it should be.

The trailer hitch manufacturers list that their dead weight (conventional) trailer hitch gives the T1N Sprinter a 5000/500# tow capacity. 5000 being the trailer weight/500 being the tongue weight. Some claim 6000/600#. Some even claim that with a WDH it goes up to 10,000/750#.

Going by the Mercedes Benz and Dodge information that I uncovered I believe that for the T1N Sprinters the tow rating is 5000/500#, period. I didn't find any reference to higher tow weight or even tongue weight related to WDH for the TIN. That said, there may be a tongue weight increase possible because I did find official information indicating that for the NCV3 the tongue weight could go to 750# by using a WDH. The info that I found didn't indicate any increase for trailer weight over the 5000# official number for a WDH. (I lost the link.)

As I said earlier, I didn't find any MB reference related to reducing the tow ratings dependent upon occupancy or cargo loading. The tow rating is 5000# (or whatever is listed).

So for most Sprinters, anyone who is looking to stay with what I feel are the official MB tow ratings you should do some research before trusting what the internet and some trailer hitch suppliers say about a higher towing rating than 5000# by using a WDH.

What I found:

The T1N is 5000/500# regardless of 2500, 3500, 4 or 6 wheels.

The NCV3 2500 (2013) is 5000/500# with a possible increase to 750# tongue weight by using a WDH option. (I lost that link.)

The NCV3 3500 cargo is 7500# except that it reverts to 5000# with a 170" WB extended.

:hmmm:
The closer the hitch ball to the rear axle the better.

This link is for 2013. The information that I found seemed consistent back to the 2007 NCV3 model.
http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/cargo-van/specifications

A Dodge link.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle/towing-capacity-chart8.htm

vic

atulin
10-24-2013, 09:34 PM
what is GCVW again? IIRC, isn't max towing 5k? Dovetail 7k may be more than 1,000 lbs.

Towing on my 3500 is 7500lb. GCWR is 15,250lb

redbusdriver
10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
I towed a 6X12 V nose 6ft tall all the way across the country with very little sway. It was a double axle and a heavy frame (2700lb empty) that I had loaded up to around 5000 lb. Sprinter was a long tall 3500 in the form of a Winnie ERA. Got about 15 mpg in the flat lands, 10 in the mountains doing 65 to 70 on the interstates. Crossed the Rockies at Butte, MT on a 100 degree day, slowed to 45 MPH in 3rd gear for the climb but no overheating on the way up or brake fade on the downhill. Very impressed by the towing ability of Sprinter.

The Columbia River Gorge drive with high winds was a bit sporty, but the trailer did not seem to be pulling the rear around as much as gusty winds acting on the van itself.

atulin
10-26-2013, 08:21 PM
speaking of trailers and slipstream-the v-noses that I have seen all go from max width to a V. Wonder how/if a trapezoidal would be more beneficial for keeping the slipstream from curling in to much and pushing on the trailer. Below, the S=Sprinter, H=Hitch and T=Trailer. Downside is the turning trailer V still needs to be far enough away so that it doesn't hit on tight turns

SSSSSSSSSSSS
H
H
TTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

It's also a pain to get in the back if you don't have a place to stand while you open the doors. my flat front trailer is close enough to the back that I can just barely get between the front of the trailer and the open door so I have to lean into the center when opening it.