Back up cameras that replace third brake light

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Has anyone bought and installed and used either of the two following backup cameras? I have narrowed it down to these two cameras but cannot judge which to buy based on the website info alone. It would be nice to see the imagery produced by each and how far back and to the sides they show, grid lines etc....I think the first one below allows the camera to swivel in its base but not sure.

MBZ Back Up Camera
found here:

http://www.safewireless.com/hands-free-store/MBZ-SPRINTER-BACK-UP-CAMERA.html the:

REARVIEW SAFETY BACKUP CAMERA
found here:

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/motor...w-camera-mercedes-sprinter-backup-camera.html

I am looking for any info or people's experience with either of the two of these - most importantly imagery off the cameras...pros and cons etc.

Thanks

Last edited:

pfflyer

Welcome to the forum. Your first link is not working but the second looks similar to mine. I had mine installed by the dealer as part of my purchase so not sure about the brand of the camera. Picture quality is pretty good with a Pioneer radio/nav unit. Only possible con is I haven't had time yet to see if the angle is adjustable. Don't see any adjustments on the outside but there may be a way if I take the brake light off.

Classic Marine

I installed the rear view safety system with their mirror camera.
I had some mfg. related issues at first but the company helped no problems now.
It is great that the camera is built into the light.
The picture is good I mainly bought it to help hook up the boat trailer ,only time I had an issue was when a morning shadow made it tough to see.
It does have distance markers on the display they can be turned off if you want.
I would buy it again if I get another van .

LOTUS

I installed a nightvision camera from Tadi's with a 7" clip on mirror color monitor with distance graduations.
Since we have a dead camera spot I also installed backup sensors for safety. For more info and picture .....

Go to: User CP -- Networking -- Picture + Albums you'll see my Sprinter.

Hope this helps a little

Lotus

Currently my van has the Mercedes Sprinter Backup Camera RVS-916 along with their monitor. Works well, just make sure the gasket creates a water tight seal.

See my post on my installation by searching mikeydaldog. I link out to my Flickr photos which shows a clip-on mirror. BTW, my install only cost me $75 and has very good daytime and nighttime quality imaging. If you have any camera, you don't need the lines, IMHO. You will see what you're about to hit without having to guess how far back something is based on the line color.

I can't speak to the models you posted. However, when I ordered my '14 Crew Sprinter, the salesman recommended I not buy the MB factory unit, but go with an aftermarket unit provided by the work-truck upfitter who installed my shelving, etc. It is made by Rosco, model #STSK4534, and consists of a hi-mount stoplight camera and an inside rear-view mirror incorporating a 4.3" screen. The camera is unobtrusive and the screen is crisp and easy to see; it's located in an intuitive place (the inside rear-view mirror). It does not have distance lines, nor does it have sound. I find neither one of those items to be a drawback. It works flawlessly and I'm happy I got it. https://www.roscovision.com/our-products/backup-camera-systems/mirror-monitor-kits.

A bit of advice to anyone thinking about a backup camera mounted at the roof level of an NCV3...

The rear door area is not flat. A camera mounted either on the roof or integrated with the 3rd brake light needs to stick out a fair amount in order to see the ground immediately behind the van. The factory camera seems to do this. Maybe some of the 3rd brake light mounted models that stick out do as well.

I mounted a camera in an aluminum housing to reach out far enough to be able to see the hitch. Here is a fairly poor pic.

Attachments

The Rosco brake-light camera I have presents what I consider a perfect image; the back edge of the bumper is clearly depicted. If an object is about to touch the edge in the camera image, it's also about to touch the edge in reality. It also enables me to clearly see the trailer hitch when I have the drawbar installed, making hookup a snap.

BobZ

For those of you who have installed RVS-816/RVS-916 cameras: I know the camera points downward and is not adjustable, but how far back and to the sides can you see. Are these cameras good for backing into parking spaces or just for looking at the hitch?

Thanks

Bob

irontent

For those of you who have installed RVS-816/RVS-916 cameras: I know the camera points downward and is not adjustable, but how far back and to the sides can you see. Are these cameras good for backing into parking spaces or just for looking at the hitch?

Thanks

Bob
I've got the revs-916. It is only useful for looking at the hitch.

I added a second camera on my rear-most solar panel looking backward and aimed higher. I can easily see my boat, and other cars when using it. I have a quad view monitor which enables viewing both rear facing cameras, the left side, and right side cameras all at once. I use the display to augment the rear view mirror which is partially blocked by my added interior cabinets.

See my build thread for pictures on the cameras and monitor.

sprinterPaul

I installed the echomaster one.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Sprinter-2010-Present-Camera/dp/B00ATSXB4A

It works great. Can see my hitch to 25+ feet behind me. I have it angled so it is looking as far out as possible.

Very nice fit and finish. Drops in to the existing location. Night time visibility is great too.

I have it wired to my pioneer head unit. In addition to enable on reverse. I will usually have it running full time so It's super easy to see what's behind.

BobZ

I installed the echomaster one.

http://www.amazon.com/Mercedes-Sprinter-2010-Present-Camera/dp/B00ATSXB4A

It works great. Can see my hitch to 25+ feet behind me. I have it angled so it is looking as far out as possible.

Very nice fit and finish. Drops in to the existing location. Night time visibility is great too.

I have it wired to my pioneer head unit. In addition to enable on reverse. I will usually have it running full time so It's super easy to see what's behind.
Thanks sprinterPaul.

That echomaster looks very much like the RVS-816.

crockett16

2017 sprinter 2500 4x4
so i received this third light camera today and when going to hook it up, it will not receive the factory wiring for the brake light
https://www.rearviewsafety.ca/safet...sprinter-third-brake-light-backup-camera.html
not to mention the camera received was slightly different than the camera advertised, (no rotating lens on camera received)
anyone have experience with these back up cameras? i bought a kenwood unit to hook up with, but haven't even gotten to that party yet. that echo master unit looks much more affordable and possibly simpler to install.

Top Bottom