the real conspiracy

Clean burning-fuel efficient diesel engines with New emissions controls/dpf.

Just as good mileage as in the past. HA!

:2cents:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Write letters to your EPA or is that our EPA. :smirk:

Or better yet, write letters to CARB (California Air Reseource Board) explaining to them to stop making up these rules (like the MTBE fiasco) so that they can stay in business.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
...and, at the same time ask if we can remove catalytic convertors and add lead to the fuels...

xr218r

I am working on removing my dfp:thumbup:Will post pics when I am done & check for mpg change!
Think about making a kit to sell to do this,will take less than 10 miuntes to change out & reinstall for warranty work.
07 passenger 144

Sprinter

I am working on removing my dfp:thumbup:Will post pics when I am done & check for mpg change!
Think about making a kit to sell to do this,will take less than 10 miuntes to change out & reinstall for warranty work.
07 passenger 144

Still waiting unpatiently with saw in my hand! Just tell me where to cut:drool::thumbup:

mobileoilchange

xr218r Re: the real conspiracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am working on removing my dfpWill post pics when I am done & check for mpg change!
07 passenger 144

if you are serious about cutting off your DPF you may as well kiss your warrenty good by and when ya get caught (if your state does inspections) on paying a heafty fine.

The DPF process works by adding extra fuel to the cylinder durning the exhaust stroke, to remove unburnt hydrocarbons, and the non combustable residual of lubricating oil. how much extra fuel do you think is being added to reduce your MPG?

I still dont get why MB went with a v6 over a straight 5. the V6 makes the same HP and not much more Torque then the 2.7l everyone knows that a smaller engine making the same HP is more efficient. They should of kept the 2.7l, increased the torque output, and then added the DPF. Five cylinders will use less fuel then six.

And a inline motor last longer. or they could of made a 3.0l inline 5 cylinder. bigger bore and stroke. stroke makes torque, but bore too can also add torque to a motors output. I myself just think they made a mistake with the 3.0l v6.

in todays time fuel mileage is king. and with everything that is being said on this website, the 3.0l isnt getting the MPG the 2.7l are. so i think that MB screwed this one up.

:2cents:

xr218r

Lets clear a few things up.
1.DPF unbolts off :smilewink: (no cutting!)
2.My state dosn't do emission inspection on Diesel power vehicles. :rad: (if it did i will reinstall before the inspection).
3.There is no way a dealer will no it was removed .::shhh:
4.During regen cycle I lost about 2 mpg on that tank tested. :cry:
5.My best mpg is the next tank & slowly gets worse until the next regen.:thumbdown:
6.If you like to test a DPF on yours , reduce your tail pipe to 1.25 inch & check mpg! :professor:
7.MB when to the v6 for emission only (small cylinders burn cleaner & alum block faster warm up):hmmm:
8.I think the 2.7 is a great engine,But the 3.0 is smooth,lighter & has greater promise for more power.:drool:

guisar

The whole moving to a larger body and engine struck me as bad timing too. I was thinking about a 2007 until I heard they were making them bigger, less efficient and introducing a new engine. The last thing I've ever heard anyone complain about the sprinter was interior space; the best thing about the sprinter was the economy and reliability of it's engine. Unless an older proven design doesn't meet emissions or is inefficient MB has in past just kept with the tried and true- no engine is more tried and true than the 5-cyl 2.5 - 2.7L diesel. MB/VW/Audi straight fives are renowned for their incredible reliability. The v6- well we'll see; suffice to say their gas v6s aren't quite up to the standards of the previous generation of straight 6s and V-8s. I guess they were indeed banking on continued cheap fuel and it just backfired...

The whole moving to a larger body and engine struck me as bad timing too. I was thinking about a 2007 until I heard they were making them bigger, less efficient and introducing a new engine. The last thing I've ever heard anyone complain about the sprinter was interior space; the best thing about the sprinter was the economy and reliability of it's engine. Unless an older proven design doesn't meet emissions or is inefficient MB has in past just kept with the tried and true- no engine is more tried and true than the 5-cyl 2.5 - 2.7L diesel. MB/VW/Audi straight fives are renowned for their incredible reliability. The v6- well we'll see; suffice to say their gas v6s aren't quite up to the standards of the previous generation of straight 6s and V-8s. I guess they were indeed banking on continued cheap fuel and it just backfired...
even if they had stayed with the same van/same engine- they would still have to install
the new emissions controls and the dpf. not an option to not put on.

gerry:idunno:

Nate

Yeah you've got to love the extremely over fueling computer chip to make more power.:rolleyes:

The sad part is I have a friend with a Ford F-250 with the 6.0 diesel and he thinks it is so much fun to soot other cars by stabbing the throttle and then flooring it to get a big blast of soot out the exhaust.
Of course he chipped it to be able to do that.:idunno:

mobileoilchange

Re: the real conspiracy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets clear a few things up.
1.DPF unbolts off (no cutting!)
2.My state dosn't do emission inspection on Diesel power vehicles. (if it did i will reinstall before the inspection).
3.There is no way a dealer will no it was removed .:
4.During regen cycle I lost about 2 mpg on that tank tested.
5.My best mpg is the next tank & slowly gets worse until the next regen.
6.If you like to test a DPF on yours , reduce your tail pipe to 1.25 inch & check mpg!
7.MB when to the v6 for emission only (small cylinders burn cleaner & alum block faster warm up)
8.I think the 2.7 is a great engine,But the 3.0 is smooth,lighter & has greater promise for more power.

3) the dealer will know it was removed when/if you take it in for warrenty work. once you remove the dpf it will trip the check engine light. and even if you clear it and re-install the dpf the code will still be in the computers history.

7) smaller cylinders dont always burn cleaner, it depends on the efficiency of the combustion, the intake cfm, the exhaust cfm, the rpm at what the engine works at, the load strain on the motor, the gearing, cam, etc etc. but i do believe the 2.7l was more efficient then the 3.0l v6. the main reason for the use of an aluminum block is weight and heat dissipation, a hotter engine is more efficient at burning fuel then a colder engine.

8) they could of very well stuck with the 2.7l and made more hp and tq if that was there goal. the 3.0l has the same hp rating as the 2.7l. 154hp 243tq as the 3.0l has 154hp 280tq. they could of, but it must of been cheaper to build the 3.0l then to redesign the 2.7l. i myself would rather have a inline motor then a v6. why didnt they just make a inline 6? room maybe? but then again they redesign the whole van bigger they could of made more room for 1 more cylinder.

real over the road diesels are inline motors, they last longer, lower rpm, make more torque, less cylinder wear and scuffing, eaiser to do a in frame rebuild, etc. but thats in a semi not a van.

mgjessop

One thing I heard was dodge wanted a van with much lower fuel economy due to the fact that there mini van market has been down since the sprinter has taken over... They make more money with there grand-crap-a-van then they do the sprinter... 2006 10 Passenger 2500 Sprinter Msrp around 36k, Grand Careovan loaded close to 45k... With lower fuel economy it makes the other mini van's look great... Remember guy's this is the same company that makes the smart car , the same car that get's over 70mpg with a cdi diesel in europe, but they only allow us to buy the Gas verson, that get's mid 30's for mpg...:bash: I just hope dodge can surive, 70% of all there vehicals are hemi powered v8's... Not the smartest move with $5 gas...

One thing I heard was dodge wanted a van with much lower fuel economy due to the fact that there mini van market has been down since the sprinter has taken over... They make more money with there grand-crap-a-van then they do the sprinter... 2006 10 Passenger 2500 Sprinter Msrp around 36k, Grand Careovan loaded close to 45k... With lower fuel economy it makes the other mini van's look great... Remember guy's this is the same company that makes the smart car , the same car that get's over 70mpg with a cdi diesel in europe, but they only allow us to buy the Gas verson, that get's mid 30's for mpg...:bash: I just hope dodge can surive, 70% of all there vehicals are hemi powered v8's... Not the smartest move with $5 gas...
fogive me, but i think that's a ridiculous statement. where did you hear this?

:idunno:

mgjessop

http://minivans.about.com/od/minivanbasics/a/stateofminivan.htm This is about the decline of sales for dodge/chrysler of there mini vans... The info I got came from a good friend who is manager of a local dodge/chrysler dealership... They sales are were off about 20% for 2006due to the sprinter being such a value and getting good mpg's... Now there mini van sales are going back up... The new sprinters coast alot more and get worse mpg's then a mini van, hence mini van sales are going back up...:professor:

http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-7164-1-603104-1-0-0-0-0-0-10748-7164-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html This talks about a 49% increase in sales for the 2006 sprinter...

mobileoilchange

One thing I heard was dodge wanted a van with much lower fuel economy due to the fact that there mini van market has been down since the sprinter has taken over... They make more money with there grand-crap-a-van then they do the sprinter... 2006 10 Passenger 2500 Sprinter Msrp around 36k, Grand Careovan loaded close to 45k... With lower fuel economy it makes the other mini van's look great... Remember guy's this is the same company that makes the smart car , the same car that get's over 70mpg with a cdi diesel in europe, but they only allow us to buy the Gas verson, that get's mid 30's for mpg... I just hope dodge can surive, 70% of all there vehicals are hemi powered v8's... Not the smartest move with $5 gas...

now i hear (read) it all.
beside no chrysler is worth 45k let alone any mini van for that matter.

One thing I heard was dodge wanted a van with much lower fuel economy due to the fact that there mini van market has been down since the sprinter has taken over... They make more money with there grand-crap-a-van then they do the sprinter... 2006 10 Passenger 2500 Sprinter Msrp around 36k, Grand Careovan loaded close to 45k... With lower fuel economy it makes the other mini van's look great... Remember guy's this is the same company that makes the smart car , the same car that get's over 70mpg with a cdi diesel in europe, but they only allow us to buy the Gas verson, that get's mid 30's for mpg... I just hope dodge can surive, 70% of all there vehicals are hemi powered v8's... Not the smartest move with $5 gas...

now i hear (read) it all.
beside no chrysler is worth 45k let alone any mini van for that matter.

death of the mini van yes- worth 45,000 no. no mention of this decline
because of sprinter van. other vehicles maybe.

a 49% increase in sprinter van sales off of a very low base is still a small amount
of vehicles. the average consumer has no idea what a sprinter van is

gerry:hmmm:

mgjessop

It kind seems like mercedes wants to go one way and Chrysler wants to do something else:thinking:

It will be fun to sit back and see what they come out with next when we have $5,6,7,8,9, and $10 gas...:popcorn:

Watch we will all have car and truck's that get 40mpg...:2cents:

Top Bottom