Questions from a newbie

westhomp

New to the Forum and to Sprinters. I have looked at the postings for New Owners as well as Tips for buying a used Sprinter and have found them to be very helpful.

I have been looking for a 2004 to 2006 Sprinter Passenger van and have found a 2004 that I am considering buying. It does not have rear air. I live in Florida so, if I buy it, that will have to change quickly. I have read many of the postings for adding rear air, and while helpful, they are usually several years old. Can anyone share their wisdom about new or current aftermarket air conditioning units? If possible, I would like to have one that would run off of shore power as well as vehicle power. I realize that this would require an upgraded alternator, inverter etc. If this is a bad idea, please let me know.

I am planning to take the family on a long trip to California and want to know what sort of maintenance I should perform before leaving. Unless it has current service records that cover this, I plan on an oil change, transmission and drive train service, and aluminum resonator. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
New to the Forum and to Sprinters. I have looked at the postings for New Owners as well as Tips for buying a used Sprinter and have found them to be very helpful.

I have been looking for a 2004 to 2006 Sprinter Passenger van and have found a 2004 that I am considering buying.
I am planning to take the family on a long trip to California and want to know what sort of maintenance I should perform before leaving. Unless it has current service records that cover this, I plan on an oil change, transmission and drive train service, and aluminum resonator. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
this would have a 2.7liter MB engine, 164HP, requiring very specific oils to keep it running strong, longer. Other oils will make it gunk up and give problems, just as long as it has 0ne of these as a spec of MB 228.3, MB 228.5, MB228.51, MB229.3, MB229.31, MB229.5, MB229.51 or MB229.52 it is good to go in.

Most transmission shops can change the tranny fluid and filter, but it must be the correct fluid specified for MB Sprinter Nag1 transmissions, with MB spec 236.12 or MB236.14 fluid.

bobojay

Keep your filter choices centered on Mann or Hengst for the safest choices, (not made in China). You might think about a rear end lube drain & refill, also a brake fluid flush & fill.

Top Bottom