Vehicle battery load when stored?

chromisdesigns

Now that winter is coming, we will be using our coach less, and I am wondering about how long it can safely sit without draining the vehicle starting battery (agm) too much. I know typical self-discharge rates for AGM batteries in good condition are in the 1-3% per month range -- however, does anyone know what the parasitic load for the vehicle computer, clock, etc. is?

House batts have a positive disconnect switch. I know I can disconnect the vehicle battery at the connection next to the pedal, but is it necessary?

sailsailor

Traveler
Yep, it's necessary if left for more than a couple of weeks. Been there done that. As easy as it is to do it's worth it. The smoke, co2, and alarm systems are a contstant draw and will deplete the battery. :thumbup:

showkey

Normal parasitic draw is between 30 to 75 ma ( milliamperes ). Most cases should give a month or two of storage under perfect conditions with a perfect battery. But this will vary widely and accessory items connected to the chassis side.

If the vehicle is going to be stored for the winter most will disconnect the chassis battery or connect a high quality battery maintainer charger.

The battery maintainers, tenders, auto chargers and regular chargers also vary widely in we quality and functions. Cooking the battery by overcharging with a poor quality charger is just as bad as undercharging.

During long term storage I connect both the house and chassis batteries with a pair of quality battery maintainers.

Top Bottom