PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power

Manjo
10-15-2013, 10:35 PM
I'm experiencing a loss of power where the accelerator loses it's punch and I lose speed when traveling up hills. It's almost like the engine is in some type of mode where it won't allow itself to be strained at all. This issue seems to go away if I stop the van and cycle the ignition switch. It will run like new for a while ad then without any noises or other type of notification, I'm back in limp mode.

autostaretx
10-15-2013, 11:38 PM
Sure sounds like a turbo leak (what model year is your Sprinter?)
If 2004-2006, check near the turbo resonator for exterior oil desposits (kind'a tarry on the hoses beneath it).
Usually it's the glued seam around the resonator.
(your ScanGauge would probably show you that you're getting effectively no boost when it has no power)
And the scangauge would show you P0299 (T/Super Charger Underboost) or P2359 (Boost Pressure Too Low)

there are many threads on this... search "resonator"

--dick

NelsonSprinter
10-16-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm experiencing a loss of power where the accelerator loses it's punch and I lose speed when traveling up hills. It's almost like the engine is in some type of mode where it won't allow itself to be strained at all. This issue seems to go away if I stop the van and cycle the ignition switch. It will run like new for a while ad then without any noises or other type of notification, I'm back in limp mode.

Is there black cloud of smoke behind you when the loss of power occurs going up a hill?
If so there may be a leak in a turbo hose, intercooler, or the connections loose. The EGR may also need a cleaning inside.

Is the van stuck in the same gear it was in when it started or can you change gears when it happens?

Manjo
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
My Sprinter is a 2002. I do get black smoke when I floor the accelerator, which is what I have to do to maintain any speed up a hill. The gears do change although it takes longer for them to do so.

NelsonSprinter
10-17-2013, 01:59 AM
It doesn't sound like Limp Home Mode, but loss of turbo charge
Could be a leak in hoses, connections or intercooler.
Could be the actuator vacuum hose came off the turbo actuator, check under the engine behind/near the alternator like in the picture

glvu
11-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Anyone knows where I can buy the actuator vacuum hose? Mine is cracking and is flimsy. It does not hold up it cylinder shape. Is this the hose at Europarts-sd.com.

http://europarts-sd.com/breatherhose.asp

Also, should I pickup this vacuum hose at a local auto parts store? If so does anyone know the diameter of the hose.

Thanks.

EZoilburner
11-02-2013, 04:31 PM
I put regular 3/16" or 1/4 vacuum hose in there, no problems to date.

2002 no resonator but could be the egr valve as mentioned already, yet when mine was out it would not smoke under medium to hard acceleration it was just low power and no boost. See if You can hook a vacuum gauge to the turbo actuator hose at idle is in the 15-17" range, also there should be some voltage to the vacuum solenoid, can't remember how much exactly.

BTW, don't hammer it uphill with no boost.

Courier
03-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Hello fellow sprinter owners,

although I have NCV3 sprinter, I experienced similar loss of power. already replace several sensors, hoses and lately the EGR valve but still have the same problem. But we have discovered recently (by unplugging the turbo actuator hose) that there was no vacuum at all (when the engine derates). I want to ask from anybody out there who experienced the same problem - what is the most possible culprit for this scenario.

Thanks a lot

Courier

alocsei
04-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Here I have a fix for the frequent engine power loss (limping mode) due to turbo pressure reduction by the ECM software. No codes present, no "check engine" light is on. Power down and up provides temporary fix. The permanent fix is to replace the brake light switch. Also check brake bulbs issues, (lose wire, half way broken filament, etc). I am puzzled by the design philosophy of the Mercedes software team why not pop up a code if the above issue happens and indicate :"brake light switch failure", "EGR valve failure", etc. Why cut engine power w/o code and let the service personnel wreck their brains trying to solve this puzzle.
I have 2002 model with 708000 miles. (no typo)

photogravity
04-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Here I have a fix for the frequent engine power loss (limping mode) due to turbo pressure reduction by the ECM software. No codes present, no "check engine" light is on. Power down and up provides temporary fix. The permanent fix is to replace the brake light switch. Also check brake bulbs issues, (lose wire, half way broken filament, etc). I am puzzled by the design philosophy of the Mercedes software team why not pop up a code if the above issue happens and indicate :"brake light switch failure", "EGR valve failure", etc. Why cut engine power w/o code and let the service personnel wreck their brains trying to solve this puzzle.
I have 2002 model with 708000 miles. (no typo)

alocsei, thanks for the pointers. Also, that mileage: WOW! :cheers:

Out of curiosity has the engine been rebuilt and, if so, what was the mileage when it got a rebuild? What about the transmission? Has that been rebuilt?

MarcleLeisure
04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
I had similar issues. Narrowed it down to the vacuum system to the turbo. I replaced a solenoid valve behind the headlight. I also replace the associated sensor (too long a go to remember the precise details). All was then fine until an extremely cold morning (ice everywhere) and had the no power issue. after about half an hour I stopped to go in to a store, then restated all was back to normal. I assume there must have been some moisture in the vacuum pipes, thus blocking them, so after a while they cleared and the system was reset by restating.

photogravity
04-14-2014, 06:30 PM
I had similar issues. Narrowed it down to the vacuum system to the turbo. I replaced a solenoid valve behind the headlight. I also replace the associated sensor (too long a go to remember the precise details). All was then fine until an extremely cold morning (ice everywhere) and had the no power issue. after about half an hour I stopped to go in to a store, then restated all was back to normal. I assume there must have been some moisture in the vacuum pipes, thus blocking them, so after a while they cleared and the system was reset by restating.

That is a known issue with some of the early Sprinters, seemingly the OM612 engine models have the issue and someone on this forum mentioned a way to eliminative or at least minimize this issue. Since I replaced the MAF sensor on my T1N, I had one instance where my van went into LHM and it was in steadily falling rain. It was about 4 hours in when I lost boost. The next time I started the Sprinter, a day or two later, it was running perfectly once again.

alocsei
04-14-2014, 07:31 PM
The original engine locked up at 690K miles. I purchased this van with the bad engine and the high milage for $3K. Found a wrecked UPS van with 120K miles and bought the motor. Installed it myself and rebuilt the tranny. Runs fine ever since, except the power loss. After replacing the brake switch back to business. Since I could turn ignition ON/OFF and get a few minutes of normal power I knew that the problem is not mechanical, rather software. I also noticed that the boost pressure loss usually happened when I stepped on the brake. Years ago I had a '98 C280 which had similar issues and the brake switch was the villain.

mdr
05-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I have a 2006(07 Navion) Similar problem however the cruise is not working also. At 40-60mph will occasionally feel a "float", loss of power. Brake lights are always on (when running). Just replaced brake light switch, still doing it.Thoughts?