PDA

View Full Version : With the cold weather comes the sliding door that won't open.

Manjo
10-15-2013, 10:28 PM
For the last couple of winters I've been dealing with a very temperamental sliding door. On cold mornings when I unlock the van the sliding door unlocks, but the closing mechanism won't actually open forcing me to utilize the rear doors. Once the van and the day warm up the door begins to function normally. I don't have these issues at all during summer time. Has anyone else experienced this?

surlyoldbill
10-15-2013, 10:39 PM
won't open from the inside AND outside?
Probably need to adjust your strike bolt and spray some lube in there.

Aqua Puttana
10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
I wouldn't jump to adjusting too soon. Sometimes it's hard to get the adjustments correct.

I found that my gasket was freezing to the seal surfaces. It doesn't take much to hold it closed because you have such little leverage as compared to the length of the gasket/seal. Some silicone paste worked for me.

Some info is lower down in this post.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=68443#post68443

Good luck. vic

photoadjuster
10-16-2013, 09:35 PM
I assumed that this is the way it is supposed to work...........

Since new (2003) mine will not open during cold weather. The electric lock will retract but the latch will not release. I have to open the pass door, reach in and pull the ultra high quality plastic handle just a little bit. Door works find then, utill you close it, then you get to do it again next time.

Or, you can disassable the ultra high quality door latch assembly (designed by several engineers with only one degree in basket weaving between them) and straighten the light weight metal tab. Door will work correctly for the next 15 times, then you must strighten the tab again.