PDA

View Full Version : T1N Rust Problem

Array
10-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Hey all

My 2004 T1N is developing a bit of rust just above the wind shield and at the back, and I'm having trouble finding the correct paint, I found the "Sprinter paint code.pdf" but it does not show the colour of the paints just the names, however the paint is definitely a metallic and it is silver so it's probably "Brilliant sliver metallic" but I'm not sure. I took a close-up picture of the paint and the places I found the rust as well, any tips and techniques on removing the rust and places to buy paint would also be helpful. Thanks

Aqua Puttana
10-15-2013, 05:43 PM
I didn't notice a location, but it looks like a North American style license plate.

A while ago while searching I surprisingly ran across many different Sprinter paints on Amazon. Maybe something is there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/187-7684464-0587765?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=sprinter%20paint

vic

Array
10-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks I'll take a look at those, any tips on the actual painting?

Aqua Puttana
10-15-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks I'll take a look at those, any tips on the actual painting?
I'm embarrassed (well... maybe slightly) to say that my refurb repair attempts on my Arctic Whitewash color Sprinter have not been stellar as to longevity. On mine the rust bubbles up from underneath with no real indication of any external chips or damage. The places where I have [attempted] grinding out all the rust and priming still seem to pop out again. Not all of them, but enough to be discouraging.

I did find what I think is a flaw in my sliding door rear section design. I had a complete rust out just above the hinge hardware. I ground it out and filled only to have it rust through again. It appears to me that the water comes down and stays trapped there. My last repair was to remove the rust, not fill it in, paint and then cover the open hole area with a small marine (boat) ss vent cover. So far, so good.

Going by your picture, which can be dangerous, that one spot in the area of your gutter appears to be from some poor prep work. In case there is some lingering contamination in that area, make certain that it is cleaned and thoroughly solvent washed before repairs. That said, I'm far from being an expert. vic

pgr
10-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Hey all

My 2004 T1N is developing a bit of rust just above the wind shield and at the back, and I'm having trouble finding the correct paint, I found the "Sprinter paint code.pdf" but it does not show the colour of the paints just the names, however the paint is definitely a metallic and it is silver so it's probably "Brilliant sliver metallic" but I'm not sure. I took a close-up picture of the paint and the places I found the rust as well, any tips and techniques on removing the rust and places to buy paint would also be helpful. Thanks

I have the identical van & color. I buy my paint from this outfit they have the best prices, quality and service I've found. 12 oz spray cans are $19.95 - don't forget the clear coat:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/dodge/2004/sprinter/

They have the best prices on spray cans and the color match is excellent! Brilliant Silver metallic uses any of these codes 744, HD3, PD3 (they all are the same color)