PDA

View Full Version : advice needed

crazyswede
10-13-2013, 11:42 PM
I have had my 2004 140 inch wheelbase sprinter for about a year and 1/2. It has 320, 000 miles on it and starts and runs well. I recently did all new brakes myself, changed the trans and torque converter fluid. I am due for another oil change which is easy enough and I did the fuel filter on the last change.

I am now aware that I need to do several I f not all injector seals. I also need a blower motor...need to fix or replace my heater controls and I need to swap in my new coolant booster pump. My trans is a reman with about 80k on it and is out of warranty...shifts a little oddly at times but is better after the fluid change. I know my intake is in need of a decarbon cleaning and I think I need exhaust gaskets due to a turbo boost squeal issue. I got the van for $4500 and the nody is in good shape.

On the one hand the truck has some potential expensive repairs coming up even if I do most of the labor...however even if I put $10000 into the truck it is still $30000 less than a new one. Should I just continue down the repair road or perhaps consider selling it and going after something newer? Of course newer use d are an unknown...at least I know this one.

pacman_34
10-14-2013, 12:04 AM
from what i see the repairs are mostly labor. if you can do the labor and if you are not driving it cross country keep it. Paying for labor or driving cross country and I would get something newer

hulagun
10-14-2013, 12:08 AM
:2cents: Isn't that a $10,000-$15,000 van if in good shape? Especially if you have repaired a lot and maintained it well. If you like it you'd be smart to keep it and put a little money into fixing any known issues. Don't forget that all vehicles cost us something, even new ones. So some of the upkeep output can be put down to the cost of just having wheels.

crazyswede
10-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Yes..they all cost something...the new ones usually cost money even before paying them off. Just needed somone to reflect the situation off of.

hulagun
10-14-2013, 12:51 AM
Yes..they all cost something...the new ones usually cost money even before paying them off. Just needed somone to reflect the situation off of.

Exactly! You pay the bank monthly, you put fuel in them, insurance may be higher, taxes and registration is higher.... I have only bought a new truck once and it became "a used vehicle" less than an hour later.

Good luck w your decision... I know how you feel!

NelsonSprinter
10-14-2013, 01:41 AM
I have had my 2004 140 inch wheelbase sprinter
I am now aware that I need to do several I f not all injector seals. I also need a blower motor...need to fix or replace my heater controls and I need to swap in my new coolant booster pump. My trans is a reman with about 80k on it and is out of warranty...shifts a little oddly at times but is better after the fluid change. I know my intake is in need of a decarbon cleaning and I think I need exhaust gaskets due to a turbo boost squeal issue. I got the van for $4500 and the nody is in good shape.

Should I just continue down the repair road or perhaps consider selling it and going after something newer? Of course newer use d are an unknown...at least I know this one.

I went down the repair road and have not regretted it, except when a 'Stealership' worked on it.
I replaced the aux coolant pump for $120, a blower motor resistor fixed for air speeds $60, EGR cleaning for $20, AND boost squeal was a lower split hose $60 .

Describe the transmission acting up ?
I would hold onto a rust free van and keep it maintained FWIW

Cole
10-14-2013, 02:23 AM
:2cents: Isn't that a $10,000-$15,000 van if in good shape?

Not even close! :crazy:

pfflyer
10-14-2013, 04:09 AM
If the van is used for business there may be some tax advantages to buying new but I suspect this is a personal van. The only advise I have is don't test drive a new one unless you are leaning that way. My 02 had 420k miles but was and last time I talked to the new owner running strong. It had minor problems but at that age is expected. Wanted to go the conversion route but didn't want to sink more money in a van that old. Anyway was planning on holding out to see what the Ford Transit had to offer but test drove a 13 and that was it.