PDA

View Full Version : brush/deer guard

tvennetti
10-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Anyone know where I can get a brush guard for a 2005 Sprinter? I saw one with one on it but have not been able to find one.

surlyoldbill
10-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Nearly ALL aftermarket brush gaurds are so frail that you can bend them with a light kick; they are cosmetic and offer no protection at all. There are a few that are functional, so be careful what you get.

hulagun
10-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Anyone know where I can get a brush guard for a 2005 Sprinter? I saw one with one on it but have not been able to find one.
I'm wanting one myself but the ones at The Sprinter Store are out of my budget. I'm watching for something to come along used or cheaper. Maybe even adapt one from a different vehicle.

To Bill's point, I mainly want one for styling but living in the City it should help protect my van's grille and nose.

crazyswede
10-14-2013, 12:41 AM
The only ones I have found are made by a company that does them out of aluminum and they cost about $1800. I would like to make my own out of thick walled aluminum rectangular tube...either 2"x8" or 4"x8". Material deals come up on ebay now and then.

hulagun
10-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Do a forum search for grill guard and Roo Guard etcetera and you'll learn of more. But none are inexpensive. I'd like to replace my vans whole front lower bumper valance with a custom formed and welded plate steel bumper like some Baja bound trucks are fitted with. That would be useful around this town...

crazyswede
10-14-2013, 01:03 AM
While steel is rugged it is also heavy...I think these things are already front heavy enough...hence the aluminum idea. The steel would be cheaper and easier to make though.

icarus
10-14-2013, 01:14 AM
I've got a reasonable one, cost about $300 iirc. I can't quite remember where I got it though.

It may be a Steelcraft, but I can't remember. If and when I get home (and remember) is I will try to post what it is and where it came from.
May be this one:http://www.carid.com/2012-mercedes-sprinter-grill-guards/
It is reasonably well built, but I have no illusions that it would protect much with (another) deer. (not to mention a Moose or Elk!) Might save some hardware, might make it worse depending on the size and angle of impact. Fine for brush, and a good place to mount lights to avoid the damn things in the first place. Also makes a good step to clean the windscreen.

Icarus

hulagun
10-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Hey Icarus this is the T1N section. I think more accessories are available for NCV3s since they are the current gen Sprinter.

hulagun
10-14-2013, 01:50 AM
While steel is rugged it is also heavy...I think these things are already front heavy enough...hence the aluminum idea. The steel would be cheaper and easier to make though.

This is sort of the "folded" style I had in mind. For my purposes thin alloy might dent if it got bumped by anything more substantial than a squirrel. I do travel off pavement now and then, so steel might be best, at least for the substructure if not the skin. Aluminum skin could look great though, especially if riveted like an old DC-3 fuselage.

IMHO steel has other advantages that make it preferable. I'm not sure the weight will be that much more. You are probably right about adding extra nose weight. I am adding permanent weight in the back already (sound attenuation, hitch, insulation, tools, etc) so hopefully it'd balance things out... any thoughts?

surlyoldbill
10-14-2013, 02:25 AM
I made one out of 3x8 aluminum channel with bolted angles for my Tacoma, bolted right to the frame. That was when we had a pile of scrap aluminum and steel just sitting around the logging company shop because scrap was worthless. The wall thickness was at least 3/8" if I remember. Probably not the best idea, because if I ever DID hit a deer or tree it would have bent my frame. I guess there's a reason they make 99% of "brush guards" to collapse into the grill if you hit something.

hulagun
10-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Found a couple pictures of nicely done metal bumpers and guards on these websites:

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2011/05/20/4x4-sprinters-here-at-last/

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/94871-Sprinter-Van-planning-stage

autostaretx
10-16-2013, 07:59 PM
..so i stepped outside of my house a couple of weeks ago, and found *this* parked behind my Sprinter.
I have no idea who makes them, and never managed to connect with the driver...

--dick

hulagun
10-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the photos, Dick! :thumbup:

That looks *maybe* like something someone modified to fit a T1N. Note the extra holes in the end plates. Nicely done but it's just clunky enough that you can see why it *could have* been originally designed for a different vehicle. :idunno:

I've been watching for a cheap used donor bumper guard to do something similar with, but I like the folded steel ones (like the photos I linked to earlier) so much, I may hold out.

Hooligan
10-18-2013, 04:07 AM
..so i stepped outside of my house a couple of weeks ago, and found *this* parked behind my Sprinter.
I have no idea who makes them, and never managed to connect with the driver...

--dick

That van is down the street from me. I've never talked to him.

hulagun
04-25-2016, 03:29 AM
I'm still interested in fitting custom bumpers or grille guards. First priority is to upgrade the van's rear bumper to provide both a hitch, a step, and a couple solid tow hook points. For the front, dunno... I have now read some posts about "crush zones" and airbag deployment, and it seems best to avoid doing anything that could cause the air bags to deploy for only a "minor" hit. Might have to rethink the big steel bumper idea. I definitely want to add a couple solid tow hook points in front, as well as additional driving lights for off road / rural driving. Making the van a little more rugged looking is secondary, but still desirable. I would love to hear other T1N owners input on this, especially those with engineering or actual T1N deer hit / crash experience.

hayduke
04-25-2016, 05:11 PM
I have been thinking about something similar,perhaps like the bolt on in Dick's post #12 above,but making the guard part out of 2x2 square aluminum pipe

Jamescell
05-05-2016, 12:08 AM
After having a significant deer strike http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160504/0324e2a8de55068a040b524242c7ef65.jpg
I bought and installed a south Texas outfitters steel bumper. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/72fe2565874a4fdea815704c043c4632.jpg
The bumper uses the 2 factory bumper bolts as well as the 4 step mounts. Both mounting areas are thin crumple type supports. I was worried about the frame talk fall of the impact also, but looking at the mounting areas it's pretty clear that they would crumple first. Real world crash testing hasn't yet happened, when it does I will for sure update 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D
05-05-2016, 12:31 AM
After having a significant deer strike http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160504/0324e2a8de55068a040b524242c7ef65.jpg
I bought and installed a south Texas outfitters steel bumper. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160505/72fe2565874a4fdea815704c043c4632.jpg
The bumper uses the 2 factory bumper bolts as well as the 4 step mounts. Both mounting areas are thin crumple type supports. I was worried about the frame talk fall of the impact also, but looking at the mounting areas it's pretty clear that they would crumple first. Real world crash testing hasn't yet happened, when it does I will for sure update 😎

Wow, Is that a one off, or do they produce that item?

Jamescell
05-05-2016, 10:20 AM
I would say somewhere in between? They have a jig and have made more than one. From payment to delivery was about a month. Aluminess was 3-4 months out and significantly more expensive.
I did have a fab shop build a perch to relieve the mounting bolts of some weight when using the front hitch.

Midwestdrifter
05-05-2016, 01:47 PM
I would say somewhere in between? They have a jig and have made more than one. From payment to delivery was about a month. Aluminess was 3-4 months out and significantly more expensive.
I did have a fab shop build a perch to relieve the mounting bolts of some weight when using the front hitch.

Do you have their contact info? Would you be willing to share the pricing? I am from deer country, and very familiar with what the kamikazes can do. :wtf:

Jamescell
05-07-2016, 11:32 AM
I honesty don't recall what the total ended up being. That point in the fall was a blur of ups FedEx and freight drivers around here sourcing all the parts to get her back together.
South Texas outfitters phone number is (210) 349-7319. My contact there was Jay Robertson, jay@southtexasoutfitters.com

OldWest
05-07-2016, 06:34 PM
Also, see this new thread in the general subforum:

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47222

Would be using a front towing framee which is mounted low on frame rails, and then attaching other things like a brushguard.

Heavy duty frame as designed for towing a Sprinter. Not clear what the two receiver tube sizes are--whether unique in size or a standard size.

Midwestdrifter
05-23-2016, 09:01 PM
I honesty don't recall what the total ended up being. That point in the fall was a blur of ups FedEx and freight drivers around here sourcing all the parts to get her back together.
South Texas outfitters phone number is (210) 349-7319. My contact there was Jay Robertson, jay@southtexasoutfitters.com

I contacted South Texas Outfitters. They have the tooling to make these bumpers still. Cost will be around $1895 per bumper. Obviously shipping/freight will be additional.

Given my recent run in with kamikaze deer, I am considering one of these for my sprinter.

hayduke
05-24-2016, 02:46 AM
I contacted South Texas Outfitters. They have the tooling to make these bumpers still. Cost will be around $1895 per bumper. Obviously shipping/freight will be additional.

Given my recent run in with kamikaze deer, I am considering one of these for my sprinter.

at $2k for a bumper,maybe low deductible insurance is cheaper

Midwestdrifter
05-24-2016, 02:53 AM
at $2k for a bumper,maybe low deductible insurance is cheaper

You may very well be correct. However, comprehensive insurance is not readily available for foreigners in places like South America and Australia (my future destinations). :tongue:

Paul_E_D
05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Take the insurance claim, and then "fix" it yourself with the roo bumper.