PDA

View Full Version : Does this thing have a governor??? I can't get over seventy.

NetDoc
10-11-2013, 09:16 PM
I am giving a presentation on Social Media to the NACD (National Association of Cave Divers) in Gainesville on Saturday, so I decided to take my Sprinter out on her maiden long voyage. The first leg was up to Jacksonville from Key Largo: @375 miles. I have to say, I haven't been over 55 yet as that's the speed limit in the Keys. I thought is was a might sluggish, but I have a lot on my plate, so I decided to just make a trip and see how she went.

She accelerates from start just fine and then it starts to lose pep. Over 40, I really have to manually shift it to make any significant headway. I'm not a jack rabbit driver, but this is ridiculous.

The water temp is perfect.
There is no black smoke.
I don't feel any bogging.
The rpms only go to about 2500.

I don't have any of my diagnostic tools with me like a scanner. A friend suggested that it might be a clogged exhaust or turbo. I am certified in diesels, but I really don't have a clue where to start here. My gut instinct is that it's fuel related. Diesel speed is regulated by the volume of fuel, and it feels like there just isn't enough fuel.

Oh yeah, a fun note. I have an appointment in Orlando to replace the two maypops that were on the rear. They have minimal amount of tread, but they looked like they would make to Jacksonville>Gainesville>Orlando. I was wrong. Just as we were passing Daytona, I am feeling a deep vibration. I am low on fuel and am thinking that it might really be starving. I fuel up and the vibration continues. A few miles later: ka-plow! the LR tire went. We called Road Rangers and I set about to change the tire. Road rangers got there just as I was closing the van door to take off. The vibration was gone and I knew that I was just feeling the tire separate on the trip. I'm here in High Springs now and have about 150 miles to go before I reach the Goodyear on Bumby Ave to get my new tires. Talk about loyalty! :smirk:

Oh yeah #2, I walked into a Pep Boys in Jacksonville. Not having a spare is kind of frightening. I asked him for a 22575R16 tire and he told me that they didn't carry them and that they weren't being made anymore. He then told me that they had never sold a Sprinter tire. I pointed out that you can't sell what you don't stock. What an idiot.

surlyoldbill
10-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds like limp home mode; which results when the ECU detects a big problem.

pacman_34
10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Limp home mode may be the turbo resonator. I've had that problem several times. Get it scanned. Pretty easy to change the resonator

Aqua Puttana
10-12-2013, 12:01 AM
There was a post not too long ago which indicated that they had a fleet vehicle which was speed limited to 70 mph. To my knowledge all Sprinters imported into North America, with the possible exception of Mexico, are limited to 83 mph or so. I think that I read where the limit can be set as low as 45 - 22 mph, but I may did remember incorrectly.

That said, the top speed limit doesn't limit RPM, just speed. It sounds like you may have some sort of computer limited power output or LHM. A specific rpm limit can provide clues. Some information is here.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=152269#post152269

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=252752#post252752

A search from the blue bar above may yield more information.

vic

bc339
10-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Have you checked all the lines from the turbo to the intercooler and to the intake for splits or breaks? This is a common failure that will also give you these symptoms, kind of like driving a VW microbus.

Bruce

autostaretx
10-12-2013, 12:56 AM
The rpms only go to about 2500.
That's one of the specific symptoms that the ECU (engine control unit/module) is limiting your RPM due to some sensor telling it that things are weird.
In my leaky-turbo-resonator experience, i was able to rev well above 3000 rpm (if i downshifted), even though i couldn't get much above 60 mph due to lack of turbo-assisted power.
(i know my governor is set at 82 mph.. been there, felt that)

I forget *which* symptom invokes the 2500 rpm limit (there's another one that limits you to 3000 rpm).
Vic/AquaPuttana has posted a training sheet which mentions it.

Have the Sprinter scanned by a *real* Sprinter-capable scanner (not a generic OBD reader), and start working from the readouts.

good luck
--dick

alz750
10-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Is it dead on 2500 rpm?That's limp mode level.If it's sort of around that but just gives up when it gets there I'd look at the fuel filter first but if it goes direct to 2500 the first thing I would do is unclip the ecu and let it hang away from the body,if it revs past 2500 you have a bad earth on one of your sensors.

NetDoc
10-12-2013, 03:55 AM
So what's the fav scanner to use/get?

Also, I don't see a MIL. Does the Sprinter not have one?

surlyoldbill
10-12-2013, 05:24 AM
The only scanners that will work effectively are the DRB-III and the D.A.D. unit. Generic OBDII scanners do not really get into the brain of the Sprinter.
The Sprinter has a MIL / CEL on the instrument cluster. Some things will send it into LHM without triggering a CEL.

autostaretx
10-12-2013, 03:54 PM
The only scanners that will work effectively are the DRB-III and the D.A.D. unit. Generic OBDII scanners do not really get into the brain of the Sprinter.
The Sprinter has a MIL / CEL on the instrument cluster. Some things will send it into LHM without triggering a CEL.
By reports here in the group, the AutoEnginuity system seems to work fairly well,
http://www.autoenginuity.com/
and the DAD is really an early CarSoft scanner with the labels scraped off.

Even relatively simple OBD scanners (such as the ScanGauge) can give reasonable hints for *some* faults, but the dedicated "Sprinter-savvy" scanners use the other (non-OBD) connections on the diagnostic socket to reach individual computer modules (such as the transmission).

--dick

surlyoldbill
10-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Generic OBDII devices would not clear my codes or turn off CEL. They would allow me to see sensor data in realtime, though. I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD device and my Galaxy-2 tablet.

autostaretx
10-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Generic OBDII devices would not clear my codes or turn off CEL.
Whether or not a generic can clear the CEL depends entirely upon the fault that triggered it.
My ScanGauge could clear my CEL when my turbo resonator was leaking at high load.
But the CEL would certainly come back on if i started climbing a hill above 55 mph.
The ScanGauge could also clear the CEL when the IAT was marginal.
They would allow me to see sensor data in realtime, though.
..and, indeed, the ScanGauge showed me that the IAT was reporting 145 F on a 40 F day...
I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD device and my Galaxy-2 tablet.
I picked up a Torque-compatible OBD plug a couple of months ago, and have the free version installed in my Note II. But i haven't managed to actually make it work yet (partly due to going on a month's vacation).

--dick

d_bertko
10-12-2013, 04:47 PM
I got a bad batch of diesel once and the water in it limited the fuel flow through the separator on my 02. No dash indicator came on but I had trouble maintaining highway speeds in hilly WV.

Not likely your problem but draining the water from the filter is a simple thing to rule it out.

Dan

sebtown
10-12-2013, 05:44 PM
I had a similar situation, stuck at 2500 rpm and no dash light. Turned out to be a blown out turbo charge hose. Repaired the hose and no more problem.

surlyoldbill
10-12-2013, 05:50 PM
The #1 source of LHM seems to be leak in charge air system, usually the resonator (04-06) but also the hoses may splitcrack or the clamps on the end may be loose.

MillionMileSprinter
10-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Generic OBDII devices would not clear my codes or turn off CEL. They would allow me to see sensor data in realtime, though. I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD device and my Galaxy-2 tablet.

Which bluetooth device? I have the app, but am looking for a reliable bluetooth obd device.

MillionMileSprinter
10-12-2013, 07:18 PM
The #1 source of LHM seems to be leak in charge air system, usually the resonator (04-06) but also the hoses may splitcrack or the clamps on the end may be loose.

/\ /\ /\ Exactly what I was going to say. :thumbup:

surlyoldbill
10-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Which bluetooth device? I have the app, but am looking for a reliable bluetooth obd device.

I bought some generic ELM 327 bluetooth device on Amazon for $10-20. I also have a USB OBD connector.

NelsonSprinter
10-13-2013, 12:52 AM
To answer the original question, yes there is a speed limiter, set/changed by a DAD or DRBiii

edx
10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
By reports here in the group, the AutoEnginuity system seems to work fairly well,
http://www.autoenginuity.com/
and the DAD is really an early CarSoft scanner with the labels scraped off.

Even relatively simple OBD scanners (such as the ScanGauge) can give reasonable hints for *some* faults, but the dedicated "Sprinter-savvy" scanners use the other (non-OBD) connections on the diagnostic socket to reach individual computer modules (such as the transmission).

--dick

Anyone can recommend a good aftermarket Sprinter-Savvy OBD scanner? I have a 2003 Freightliner.

-Ed

NetDoc
10-28-2013, 12:15 PM
OK, I am back to this. Usually when I have a problem I bull dog it until the end. These past few weeks have been anything but usual. As y'all know I was on the maiden voyage (for me) with my Sprinter and I don't have much acceleration and can never get over 2500 rpms. Y'all gave me a few ideas, and I appreciate all of them. When I came home, I found my 24 yo son dead in the bathroom. It's a shock I don't think any parent should have to deal with. It appears that he tripped on the rug in there and hit his head on the bath tub, causing his death. Unbelievable. I have had to deal with getting him buried, crying river upon river of tears as well as dealing with a seemingly never ending supply of well wishers. If you need/want to send condolences, please use telepathy or the PM function and not this thread. In addition, most of you can surmise by my avatar or picked up from me that I teach Scuba. I wrote a little piece on when to take a class on propulsion/trim and neutral buoyancy on ScubaBoard and I have since been busy teaching class after class. This was unintentional as I'm a part time instructor and prefer to make my money on ScubaBoard. Grief, exhaustion and lack of time have kept me only reading what I could about the problem. Unfortunately, business (if you can call diving a business) is taking me out of town with my Sprinter. I want to leave today or tomorrow and I want the power in this beast.

I scanned my Sprinter and found that I have a P0404 error left, but that's with a generic scanner. It has something to do the performance of the EGR valve. I went to price one from NAPA and they wanted $600. Online they want $400. Talking with Gary at NAPA, he suggested that I should try to clean it first. So, I took off the hose on the side of the EGR valve, only to find coolant in it. I thought I had the wrong device and since I am a "Certified Truck Technician" I was too prideful just to post on here and just ask. Well, I researched and found a pic online and sure enough. I guess I have a water cooled EGR valve. Interesting. This morning I pulled off the hose again, and pulled the three eaton headed bolts that hold the EGR valve in. A simple tap and it came right out. It didn't look clogged. The spring loaded vane works just fine and there is no binding. I don't really see how the water passes through the valve. What am I missing here?

To clarify, I live on an island. Getting a scanner quickly is not going to happen. I want to get an idea of how to resolve this with just a generic scanner. That autoengenuity is about $600 and I've seen a scanner on e-bay called an MB Star that looks like you have to but the hard drive in your laptop to run. Those are about $800. I'm going to buy one, but I need to get this Sprinter running now. Your help is appreciated.

Aqua Puttana
10-28-2013, 02:12 PM
In the OBDII world, which was created for emissions issues, I'd think that of all the generic codes which could be somewhat trusted, an EGR DTC would be high on the list. The monitoring and code creation for the EGR must be pretty much similar between brands.

A bad EGR could cause the computer to be upset and enable LHM (or probably more correctly to disable full power). The EGR information is used for boost air calculation and verification by the computer. We know that an EGR issue can cause a Sprinter to run poorly. Not all EGR failures are correctable by cleaning.

Read the last sentence here in Full Load Limiting

Maybe you don't need a Sprinter specific scanner for this one? Based upon the poor running and the code I'd think that EGR replacement seems pretty logical at this point. :idunno: Besides, it won't hurt to have a spare if that isn't root cause.

The coolant circuit is through the hose and to the engine via the smaller port on the EGR body/gasket.

vic

P.S. - My condolences.

NetDoc
10-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the input, Vic.

So, as it sits right now, I have to replace the EGR with a "Known good unit". Is there any further testing I should do, especially with the wiring? I don't see a check engine light (not even at start up during the idiot light test) and I'm wondering if the previous owner circumvented it in order to sell the vehicle. BTW, I'm really not trying to be lazy here and have you do all the dirty work. I just know that your knowledge is a lot faster than my learning OTJ and time is of the essence.

Aqua Puttana
10-28-2013, 03:35 PM
If the MIL (aka CEL) isn't coming on during the pre-start then as you say, it has either burned out (not a common thing mentioned here) or someone has defeated it. Your generic scan tool should still give the MIL status though.

I can't think of any EGR tests off the top of my pointy little head. Mechanically, manually rotating the valve should move smoothly against the spring tension and snap back closed reliably. Maybe inspect the wire harnesses for any abrasion. There is an EGR operation routine included with the DAD scan tool, but that doesn't help you at all. The Snap-on scan tool with correct enhancements for Sprinter probably has that too if you know an independent shop with one.

There have been some people who used a temporary block off test, but I think that provides little real information if the problem is control related.

Sorry I can't offer more. vic

Boater
10-28-2013, 05:50 PM
Mmm tricky.
My understanding is that your type of EGR has a microprocessor on board that would overheat if it wasn't cooled, hence it is tied into the engine coolant circuit - the EGR pulses many times per second when running so presumably it is the solenoid that gets hot and damages the processor.

How to test if the EGR really is playing up? Sorry I don't know. I do know that with a proper manufacturer specific scanner (probably including properly accessorised third party ones like snap) there is additional testing listed with some error codes - voltages and continuity checks, that kind of thing - I don't know if anyone with such a scanner is able to look up to see if there is such info for you code, the tool I have seen didn't have a facility to look up codes other than the ones it had just read. This info is highly protected and the reason dealer level scanners are so expensive.

As for your complete lack of CEL - that is a big clue! It is something buyers should be more aware of - if you don't see the CEL light up during self test and then go out, expect the seller has removed the bulb (or if it is a modern dash with an LED built into the board, nobbled it in a more sophisticated way!) to hide an ongoing problem.

Just a thought, can you clear the code? If you can clear it but it comes back quite quickly, that is a different situation to one that can't be cleared at all - the latter is a much stronger suggestion of a communication issue with the EGR processor. Of course thinking communication issues leads one to suggest unplugging and cleaning any electrical connections to the unit before getting too carried away......

NetDoc
10-28-2013, 06:19 PM
It clears and comes right back.

NetDoc
10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
OK, EGR valve ordered. It should be here Thursday. I have to leave and will have a friend bring it to Orlando on Tuesday.

So you know, I hate, hate, hate being a parts changer. I resented auto mechanics who worked the shot gun approach to repair and replaced everything possible at the customer's expense. While many thought this was motivated by greed, it was obvious to me that it was powered by laziness and ignorance. As a service manager I was often viewed as micro-managing hard ass because they had to justify each and every part they wanted me to sell. Tell what's going to fix the problem, then we can talk about preventive maintenance. They found out quickly that if they guessed and it was wrong that they were going to fix it right for free. Test first and replace only when necessary.

Aqua Puttana
10-28-2013, 09:02 PM
So you know, I hate, hate, hate being a parts changer. ...
:idunno:

Sorry that you feel that away about this. I thought that some reasons and logic behind ordering a new EGR was provided here.

If it makes you feel any better, just consider that the shotgun is loaded with buckshot and it has a full choke. I don't think that this is a bad repair strategy given your stated constraints of time and a lack of testing equipment.

:cheers:

vic

NetDoc
10-28-2013, 09:23 PM
That's the way it is sometimes. When Cadillac first came out with it's ECM controlled AC, it was a nightmare. You walked out with a bucket of parts and see what fixed the blasted things. I've never been a fan of the bucket method, but that's the way it often is.

You guys were great. You took me as far as I could go without a Sprinter savvy scanner. I really want to get one, but I don't want to buy something that's not going to work. How many are using that ingenuity system?

bc339
10-29-2013, 11:20 PM
I just spied a DAD for sale in the classified section - you better act quickly if you want one - they go fast.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29401

Bruce

NetDoc
10-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks. I just PMed her.

sailquik
10-30-2013, 01:58 PM
NetDoc,
Let's back up here.
I reviewed most of the posts here and nowhere do I see the suggestion that you take your 2006 Sprinter T1N to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer (a Sprinter Commercial dealer if you can find one).
They will have the best diagnostic tools (MB Star Diagnosis System or SDS) and they can run a complete scan of all the systems in your Sprinter.
They can most likely fix whatever is limiting your power, or you can simply pay them for the diagnosis and continue to try to fix it your self.
Another less expensive option, which has been hinted at, but not really explored is to get a Scan Gauge II (or similar...you already have some sort of scanner I believe) and look at the important Parameter ID's (PID's).
Check the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure). If you are not getting > 33 PSIA @ full load/ >1/2 throttle then you have some sort of a boost pressure leak.
If your EGR valve is acting as badly as you suspect, that would most likely throw a code that the Scan Gauge II would recognize.
The Scan Gauge II only reports what the OEM sensors are putting out, so if you are getting no solid codes with your scanner perhaps the boost leak or whatever the real problem is that's limiting your power is not serious enough to set a code, so you will have to look at things like fuel pressure, boost pressure to determine what's not within the normal range.
Could be as simple as a sensor that's bad or dirty and not giving the ECM the correct information.
If you have a Mercedes Dealer there in the FLA keys, that sells Sprinters, they may have the complete SDS system and the required peripherals to diagnose your Sprinter.
There are for sure some dealers in South and SW Florida with full Sprinter capability.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. If you get the Scan Gauge II, or use your scan tool, you need to go out and drive the Sprinter, record all the pressures you can, then post them here and I'm sure the membership can help you to understand which of them are normal and which are low/high or lack plausibility.

Aqua Puttana
10-30-2013, 02:09 PM
As to reading DTC's, the ScangaugeII is a basic generic OBDII based device in a fancy case with some added bells and whistles.

He already got an EGR DTC using another brand generic code reader.

vic

sailquik
10-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Vic,
I am not suggesting looking for DTC's!
I am suggesting he take it out on the road and see what the boost goes to....what the fuel pressure is...things like that.
I know a lot about Scan Gauge II's and I do not ever suggest them as a good tool to read Sprinter DTC's because of the
generic nature of the Scan Gauge.
I do suggest them as a driving aid (to get better mileage and operate Sprinters more efficiently).
And they can give you the actual boost/fuel flow that other important parameters that can lead to what it is that's causing
loss of power.
If a Scan Gauge II shows that the boost never goes above 29 PSIA (14-15 PSIG) then there has to be either a leak or the
actuator is not working correctly (or the turbocharger has a problem which is almost never the case).
Roger

Aqua Puttana
10-30-2013, 02:42 PM
:idunno:

...If your EGR valve is acting as badly as you suspect, that would most likely throw a code that the Scan Gauge II would recognize.

:cheers: vic

NetDoc
10-30-2013, 04:56 PM
I do have a hard code for the EGR. I think I posted it earlier: it's P0404. From what I understand, an EGR code will cause the ECM to default to limp mode. I guess I could try to delve into diagnosing additional problems, but the faulty EGR (or circuit) will make such an investigation suspect at best.

It's been my experience as a professional automotive technician in resolving any such issues, that it's best to fix the obvious issues first. I really can't move forward until I resolve the P404. The wiring in the engine compartment looks healthy, so I am assuming that replacing the EGR is in order.

Now about that missing MIL. Do we have a pin out on the dash connectors somewhere that would enable me to see if the ECM is trying to light it? Are there any common ways that misguided jerks use to disable the MIL???

Aqua Puttana
10-30-2013, 05:29 PM

It's been my experience as a professional automotive technician in resolving any such issues, that it's best to fix the obvious issues first. I really can't move forward until I resolve the P404. ...

Sounds like a good direction to me.

...Now about that missing MIL. Do we have a pin out on the dash connectors somewhere that would enable me to see if the ECM is trying to light it? Are there any common ways that misguided jerks use to disable the MIL???
The MIL is an LED.

Assuming it was defeated. My guess is black electrical tape.

Unless the person was a butcher and just crushed or yanked out the LED. :bash:

Some selected Service Manual info is here. The MIL is triggered via the CAN bus.

Except for the indications provided within the
multi-function indicator LCD unit, each indicator in
the EMIC is illuminated by a dedicated LED that is
soldered onto the EMIC electronic circuit board.

Conventional diagnostic methods may not prove
conclusive in the diagnosis of the instrument cluster.
In order to obtain conclusive testing of the instrument
cluster, the Controller Area Network (CAN)
data bus network and all of the electronic modules
that provide inputs to or receive outputs from the
instrument cluster must also be checked.

MALFUNCTION INDICATOR
LAMP (MIL)
DESCRIPTION
A Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) is standard
equipment on all instrument clusters. The MIL is
located near the lower edge of the instrument cluster,
to the right of the multi-function indicator display.
The MIL consists of the International Control and
Display Symbol icon for “Engine” imprinted within a
rectangular cutout in the opaque layer of the instrument
cluster overlay. The dark outer layer of the
overlay prevents the indicator from being clearly visible
when it is not illuminated. An amber Light
Emitting Diode (LED) behind the cutout in the
opaque layer of the overlay causes the icon to appear
silhouetted against an amber field through the translucent
outer layer of the overlay when the indicator
is illuminated from behind by the LED, which is soldered
onto the instrument cluster electronic circuit
board. The MIL is serviced as a unit with the instrument
cluster.
OPERATION
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) gives an
indication to the vehicle operator when the Engine
Control Module (ECM) has recorded a Diagnostic
Trouble Code (DTC) for an On-Board Diagnostics II
(OBDII) emissions-related circuit or component malfunction.
The MIL is controlled by a transistor on the
instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster
programming and electronic messages received by
the cluster from the ECM over the Controller Area
Network (CAN) data bus. The MIL Light Emitting
Diode (LED) is completely controlled by the instrument
cluster logic circuit, and that logic will only
allow this indicator to operate when the instrument
cluster detects that the ignition switch is in the On
position. Therefore, the LED will always be off when
the ignition switch is in any position except On. The
LED only illuminates when it is provided a path to
ground by the instrument cluster transistor. The
instrument cluster will turn on the MIL for the following
reasons:
² Bulb Test - Each time the ignition switch is
turned to the On position the MIL is illuminated as a
bulb test. The indicator will remain illuminated until
the engine is started, or until the ignition switch is
turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first.
² MIL Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster
receives a MIL lamp-on message from the ECM,
the indicator will be illuminated. The indicator will
remain illuminated until the detected fault is
repaired, or until the ignition switch is turned to the
Off position, whichever occurs first. For more information
on the ECM and the DTC set and reset
parameters, (Refer to 25 - EMISSIONS CONTROL -
OPERATION).
² Communication Error - If the cluster receives
no lamp-on or lamp-off message from the ECM, the
MIL is illuminated by the instrument cluster. The
indicator remains controlled and illuminated by the
cluster until a valid lamp-on or lamp-off message is
received from the ECM.

Download the service manual, owner's manual and parts catalog from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

vic

NetDoc
10-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks! I am away from home and access to the manual I downloaded on my main PC. I don't have much room on this lap top, though I might have had the fore thought to download it on an external drive. I am up in Cave Country hoping to do some Cave Diving before the yearly DEMA show (Dive Equipment and Marketing Association) in Orlando Fl. I will probably wait until I am back in Key Largo to do the check and I'm hoping that it's a piece of black tape.

In one of my first posts on here, I wrote that I had a code for a loss of communication with the instrument cluster. The code erased and it came right back. I removed and replaced the instrument cluster and the code went away. I guess I'll be pulling it out yet once more and checking for tape.

Aqua Puttana
10-30-2013, 05:54 PM
I think that I mentioned earlier in this thread that a generic scan tool should give the MIL status. I think some of them use "Emissions Check OK!" or some similar text phrase to indicate the MIL "Off" status.

vic

NetDoc
10-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Mine gave me codes.

NetDoc
11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
SUCCESS! My Sprinter is a Sprinter and not a slug anymore. Wow. I had ordered my EGR valve just as I had to leave town. It arrived in Key Largo as I arrived in Marianna Fl. It was frustrating to know that I had the part I needed and it was in another part of the state. After a bit of cave diving and going to our semi annual gathering of ScubaBoarders at Megadive in Ginnie Springs, I arrived here in Orlando late Sunday night to get ready for Scuba Diving's annual industry show called DEMA. A good friend and neighbor, who is also going to DEMA here in Orlando, picked it up and brought it north. My honey saw them in Publix last night and got the EGR valve and a turbo resonator from them. This morning I installed the new EGR valve in about ten minutes, cleared the codes and took the Wagon Queen for a test drive.

Wow.

Wow.

I don't have to shift anymore to coax the max amount of speed out of her. She just goes fast and shifts smoothly. I'll have to see if I have all my Scuba gear tied down securely enough now. I had packed with an eye for a panic stop, now I have to worry about acceleration as well. Yay. My sprinter is finally fun to drive. I can't wait to get her out on the Turnpike when I go home at the end of this week. BTW, a quick recheck of my CenTech OBDII showed that I was in MIL = off status with no codes present. Yay #2!

NetDoc
11-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Long test drive... I drove the Wagon Queen from Orlando to Key Largo today. I left at 10:15 in the morning and arrived here around3:00ish in the afternoon. That's just under 300 miles, and she did incredibly well. She never missed a beat but I did notice a few things.

1) She's loud. I'm really used to my old Honda Ridgeline. I think I'm hearing mostly wind noise and not much from the engine.
2) She's getting great gas mileage. My guestimate is around 25ish or so.
3) She's a windsock. I feel every vehicle that passes me.
4) She's very responsive. Even at highway speeds, she has some real gumption.
5) Her brakes are stellar!

All of my diving buddies are somewhat jealous. They like the tank rack, even though it's not finished, as well as the rest of the modifications. I think I have a slow week, so I'm going to work on her as much as possible.

Jb1rd73
11-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Hey Doc, I live just east of you on the Space Coast just south of Cocoa Beach. We should touch base I just bought an 06 140 high roof cargo that I am converting to stealth camper. (Once I finish paying for my board exams and license fees ) any chance you work for a dive outfit or are you just an enthusiast? I need to get re-certified, I did all the work tests and open dive and then the shop went out of business and never sent in the paper work:thumbdown: that was years ago so a whole new course is probably not a bad idea.
Cheers,
Jason

NetDoc
11-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Jason,

I am a Regional Director for NASE. That means I give instructors their final test before they get to be instructors. Come on down to the Keys and I can get you finished up. I love to teach. It takes about a weekend.

Jb1rd73
11-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I just went through my books and found my old manual 2002-3 I'll definitely PM you about coming down once I finish with all this studying I am going to need a break, one thing I know is that even with only a handful of dives I love it, grew up in the ocean, sailing surfing fishing, but there was not a lot of diving in So Cal. Hope you figure out your sprinter, mine is in need of glow plugs but living in Florida they are not really necessary but it still bugs me, another thing on the list, such is life!

NetDoc
11-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Sprinter right now. Time to get on with outfitting it.