PDA

View Full Version : mysterious noise

Cat Fan
10-11-2013, 08:55 PM
We've begun having a squeak up front when we start out for the day that usually lasts about 10 minutes. It doesn't begin until about 15 mph and dies out when we stop. It never sounds while we're sitting still. Sounds like something rotary squeaking, is high pitched and sounds like it's up front somewhere. Once the van's warmed up it goes away. It's a 2007 and we've got about 40,000 miles on it. I know this is laughably little info to go on but any ideas?

Oldfartt
10-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Really needs more information and maybe a sound recording.

It could be a number of things.
My first guess is a failing, leaking exhaust manifold gasket. It is actually made of two very thin metal sheets which can vibrate if the any of the studs are at all loose or broken. As the engine heats up the metal expands and the sound stops.
Another another possibility is the serpentine belt tensioner and/or any of the idler wheels.

Cheers

Ross

NelsonSprinter
10-11-2013, 10:29 PM
Check the brake pads for wear or sticking brake calipers?

CJPJ
10-12-2013, 12:02 AM

We've begun having a squeak when we start out for the day that usually lasts about 10 minutes. It doesn't begin until about 15 mph and dies out when we stop. It never sounds while we're sitting still. Sounds like something rotary squeaking, is high pitched . Once the van's warmed up it goes away. It's a 2007 and we've got about 40,000 miles on it. I know this is laughably little info to go on but any ideas?
Search: hanger bearing ... quite common to make a noise @ your mileage. here is one thread , http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2327&highlight=HANGER+BEARING there is a lot of threads on the subject hanger bearing, carrier bearing. I don't think it has stranded anyone, they can go for a long time making a noise. That said you need to put some ears on it to determine what's causing the noise.

54977Good luck.

mendonsy
10-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Another possibility is the serpentine belt is worn and/or one of the idler pulley bearings is going bad. Failure of the idler pulleys is fairly common.

LuckyDawgz Jim
10-12-2013, 01:56 AM
On occasion my 2002 will have a brake pad that will squeak randomly, after being off the the brakes and cruising on the highway for a while.
A simple tap of the brakes again seems to eliminate it.

Cat Fan
10-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks all.

Cat Fan
10-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Turned out to be both drive shaft bearings. Getting them replaced today.
The good news is the extended warranty finally paid off a little.

Thanks for all the responses