PDA

View Full Version : loss of power in 05 sprinter

bugsbuny26
10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Hy guys i am kind of new to this forum. i have a 05 sprinter 3500 with 249.000 miles on it. it ran ok till a few days. So this is the story i started the van in the morning ( 6:00 am) and it started just fine but after a few seconds the sound of the engine changed. It sounded like the engine had no muffler. I had to be at work so i left with it like that. It was werry loud and when i got on the interstate i had no turbo power. And could not go over 60 mph. I got to work and the van sat for like one and a half hour i started the van again and it ran just fine al day long. next morning same thing. But the third morning a new experience i whent outside and started the van and it started but after a few seconds it stopped i tried again and same result after a few more times the van finely started and ran just fine all the way to work. When i started it again at work after one hour it had the no muffler sound i shut it of and started it again and run just fine al day long. I got home from work and i pulled out the codes with the dad and i have 2 codes p2511 left egs positioner and p2355 axhaust gas recirculation control. I have searched the forum for this 2 codes and seems to be related to the egr valve

Please help me i need some advice
Thank you

Ps excuse my spelling but english is not my first language. Thank you

MillionMileSprinter
10-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Check all of your rubber hoses related to the turbo. To and from the intercooler and the big one that goes into the egr valve, right on the front of the engine.
Good luck.

bugsbuny26
10-11-2013, 12:45 AM
but is it.possible to.run bad and after one hour to run ok like nothing happened?

NelsonSprinter
10-11-2013, 12:57 AM
It is possible that the hole or split in the turbo hose or hose connection is so small that it will sometimes cause issues, sometimes not. Air escaping a small hole can sometimes sound like a muffler fail or jet fan, whistle or something loud. I would also check that there is no leak at the turbo/ exhaust connection

bugsbuny26
10-11-2013, 01:16 AM
ok I.will check tomorrow for leaks. but I would like to clean egr valve to but I dont know how to take it of. any ideas.

thank you

bugsbuny26
10-11-2013, 01:49 AM
oh and I fforgot to mention. with the dad plugged in and the engine running I erased the codes and the no muffler sound disappeared but after 2 seconds it appeared again. so it mai not be from the hoses. I am just sayng.

thank you

rpanzer56
10-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Your vehicle would constantly go into limp mode if there were a leak in you charge air system. My understanding that the vehicle will run ok and sometimes will go into limp mode and when you cycle the ignition it will run fine. You have 249,000 mile on the vehicle and if the EGR have never been replaced, with the fault code pointing to the EGR, the EGR may be sticking, if there were an internal fault in the EGR the vehicle would constantly have a loss of power. My suggestion is to replace the EGR as it is unserviceable. To remove the EGR, do it when the eng is cold, remove the coolant rubber hose attached to the EGR, you can use a 5/16 socket to remove the 4 torque bolts, once the bolts are out, it may take some prying to get the EGR out due to carbon buildup, you can use some WD40 or other pentrating oil, sprayed between EGR and the manifold when EGR is out some. To install the EGR with a new just reverse the process, and clear the fault code if there is any.

bugsbuny26
10-17-2013, 01:02 AM
thank you for the info I really appreciate it. I did take the egr valve out and clean it. but it has the same symptoms. I have notice that is doing what I said above only when the engine is cold. after the engine has reached the normal temp and I shut it of and started again it will run just fine I am going to buy a new egr to replace it by the end of the week. and I will let you guys know if that was the problem.

thank you again for the advice it has been very helpful

bugsbuny26
10-21-2013, 09:51 PM
good news guys. the problem has been solved. first Itook the old egr out and cleaned it an put it right back just too see that it was no iimprovement. and after that I bought a new egr valve and replace the old one and now it works just fine. no more problems. I am pretty happy.

thank you so much for the advice and directions. have a great day guys