PDA

View Full Version : espar question

surlyoldbill
10-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Discovering mine last year, I've used it to quickly warm the engine on cold mornings.
I don't have a rocker switch, which I'm guesing to be the "timer" people talk about; I only have the dash center strip switch below the AC, and the REST switch below that.
Can mine be used or modified to run BEFORE I start the engine as a pre-heater to make cold starts easier? By "cold" I mean less than 15 farenheit.

cahaak
10-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Bill, yes you can do the mod. It involves 4 relays and you connect everything (for the most part) under the center console. Look up the thread "modifying the heater booster to run from a switch" or something like that. I have a bunch of pics I can send you if the ones on the thread don't work. If you understand how relays work, you will find the mod elagantly simple.

Chris

surlyoldbill
10-11-2013, 01:48 AM
Looking through my manual, I don't have the water circulation system. I DO have the little exhaust pipe in the driver wheel well, and REST and the horizontal switch above it. Would running that little motor do anything to heat my engine prior to start?

bc339
10-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Do you have the electric coolant pump mounted to the firewall above your fuel filter? If so, then yes, you can do the mod.

Bruce

surlyoldbill
10-11-2013, 04:51 PM
I DO have the pump!
Time for some research on the mod, and why I don't have the timer if I have the pump...

bc339
10-11-2013, 05:24 PM
You could probably blame it on the dealerships not being fully educated about Sprinters and available options. When we got our Sprinter, I thought it was pretty loaded. Had I known of all the options, I would have waited and made a special order. The only literature available at the time is what the Dodge dealer had in the showroom.

Bruce

cahaak
10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
They all have the pump and in fact all have the hardware necessary for Espar non-key operations. Only issue is that the vast majority are not set up for non-key Espar operation. That is what the mod is about. I probably have enough left over connectors and relays that I could send them to you cheap. Sad thing is, they could have enabled non-key operation for something like $25 + switch. Instead, they had an official conversion kit that I think was around $700 + installation. I understand the issue of profits, but when all the hardware is already in place and it is a diesel, you should just make it so, but they didn't.

PM me if you want on my extra stuff.

Chris

surlyoldbill
10-11-2013, 06:41 PM
The only mod I found uses the timer, which I don't have.

Aqua Puttana
10-11-2013, 07:25 PM
If you have an OEM diesel fired Booster heater, diesel fired Auxilliary Timed heater, or the REST function then you have an aux electric coolant pump to circulate coolant when the engine is not running so the belt driven pump circulates. The Booster heater can be converted to constant on, engine off operation as has been mentioned.

To my knowledge in the fashion of MB there is no simple "on" switch for the heater. There is a control panel complete with timer so that on and off times can be programmed.

Here's a post I submitted about the heaters.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=80447#post80447

vic

surlyoldbill
10-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Vic, I don't have the control panel, so I simply have the "heater booster" feature and not the auxiliary heater. If anyone has a link to a mod for using the heater booster with the engine shut, please share.

Aqua Puttana
10-11-2013, 07:37 PM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668&highlight=booster+switch

surlyoldbill
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=668&highlight=booster+switch

Thanks.
I saw that, but thought it required the timer switch.

alz750
10-12-2013, 01:52 AM
If I may add a few suggestions.It may be wise to add flyback diodes to the relays and solder the wire splices when you have the system working.Reason for the diodes is simply to stop voltage spikes and soldering makes a better joint considering the heater has a low voltage threshold.Also,run the heater on kerosene once in a while,keeps it clean better than a manual decoke(no white smoke).

cahaak
10-14-2013, 02:58 AM
Those things might be desirable theoretically, but they aren't needed for this mod. Also, the nature of the splices in is such that they are better suited for clamp on taps. Mine has held up great for the three years that I have had the mod in place. In regards to keeping the unit clean, main thing there is to run it once in a while, especially during the summer. If you run a biodiesel blend, that will keep if pretty clean. (MN will be the first in the nation to mandate 10% bio D here next year.)

Chris