PDA

View Full Version : Does my 2006 passenger have rear heat???

Greatdane
10-10-2013, 04:42 PM
I really feel dumb asking this, but I'm not sure if my one week old (2006) 10 passenger van has rear heat... & if it does, I am too dumb to figure it out apparently. The owner had six kids and lived in a cold area, so I guess I just assumed it would have rear heat. It definitely has rear AC, I can refrigerate meat back there!
It has the auxilary heater for pre-heating the vehicle of the fuel line... but other than AC vents in the ceiling, I see no other heat vents other than front cab.

Any help would be great, as my wife now thinks our child will freeze back there (-:

Here are some pics of the interior that may help...

autostaretx
10-10-2013, 05:17 PM
There are two answers:
(a) quick: your added rear floor mat is "neatly" covering where the rear heat vents would be.
Most likely you do NOT have the rear heat option (there would be another heater core located under the floor against the wall directly behind the driver's seat... AND there's a plastic plenum above the floor to distribute the air around the cabin/cargo area.)

(b) slightly slower: post your VIN to the "show me your datacard: thread, and another member will probably provide a *full* list of what options and bit were built into your Sprinter:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25620
The option code for the cargo area additional heater is:
H13 ADD. HEAT EXCHANGER CARGO AREA/PASS. COMPARTMENT

Here is a messy photo of my rear heater duct coming up through the floor, just behind the driver's seat pedestal.
I have covered the hole with a plywood plate (where the arrow points), it's about 6 inches fore/aft, and 4 inches wide.

--dick

Greatdane
10-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks Autostaretx... I suspect you are right and I do not have the rear heat option... Bummer... I didn't even think to look when I bought it, duh... The wife isn't going to be to impressed with me. Great vehicle otherwise...

cahaak
10-10-2013, 08:37 PM
If it doesn't have rear heat)and I doubt it does), you have a few options. First, make sure you can run your ESPAR coolant heater with the engine off. That will prehat the engine and you will get heat out of the dash right away when you start it, you can also leave that running when you park the van for an hour or two. Second, if you truly want rear heat, then you should add a diesel fired air heater to the inside of the van - Espar, Webasto, Planar, Snuggler...These are set up to run when the van is on or off. It is going to be about $1K +/- to install one. I live in MN, by using the Espar to preheat the engine, we do just fine. I would recommend that you put some window insulation film on the inside of the windows during the winter, it will greatly help with heat loss and window frost. I have a post on here about that, too lazy to look up, but it is under my name.

Chris

Greatdane
10-10-2013, 11:08 PM
If it doesn't have rear heat)and I doubt it does), you have a few options. First, make sure you can run your ESPAR coolant heater with the engine off. That will prehat the engine and you will get heat out of the dash right away when you start it, you can also leave that running when you park the van for an hour or two. Second, if you truly want rear heat, then you should add a diesel fired air heater to the inside of the van - Espar, Webasto, Planar, Snuggler...These are set up to run when the van is on or off. It is going to be about $1K +/- to install one. I live in MN, by using the Espar to preheat the engine, we do just fine. I would recommend that you put some window insulation film on the inside of the windows during the winter, it will greatly help with heat loss and window frost. I have a post on here about that, too lazy to look up, but it is under my name.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll look for the window insulation film thread...
We don't get quite as cold here as you do... But some heat back there would be nice after skiing and such.
I was even thinking I could run a 2" hose from one of the two floor heating tubes under the passenger side dash... it could run along the floor, alongside the passenger seat and get a little warm air to the second row bench seat... just a thought.

cahaak
10-11-2013, 01:07 AM
You can do that or run a tube from the center heat vent - take out the cup holders and you will see it. Others have gone that route. Again, it is nice to be able to have heat quickly when you start up and the Espar is a great help with that.

Chris