PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold reseal time

crazyswede
10-09-2013, 10:48 PM
My 320,000 mile sprinter has had the turbo squeal for a while and now its starting to exhibit signs of another leak so I am going to go ahead and do some R&R. I have been buying some parts from SD europarts but looking for a source that might have gasket, bolt, and stud kits for the exhaust manifold and for the turbo to manifold bolts/gaskets.

I also intend to remove the intake manifold and clean it out as I can see a significant sludge oil/carbon buildup inside the manifold.

I am hoping that if I can seal the exhaust backup and clean out the intake I can eliminate the flutter noise and get my fuel mileage to come off of the 24 mpg shelf it has been stuck on for a while. When I first got the truck I was seeing mileage between 25 and 28 mpg and could go over 600 miles on a tank. Now I better be filling up before then.

:thinking:

Boater
10-10-2013, 11:20 AM
I bought new manifold studs and nuts from a Mercedes commercial dealer parts department, the studs were pretty normal prices, the nuts seemed expensive but they are copper or copper plated....

Exhaust and intake manifolds I bought Elring ones from a well known UK ebay shop - it is my understanding that Elring supply the gaskets MB use in the factory. I think they were in a complete overhaul kit with head gasket and valve seals etc. but can be bought separately too. In fact, the kit I got had the turbo oil pipe gasket as well, trying to remember if the copper washers for the oil feed pipe were also in it? Basically have a look at the Elring catalogue and then find a supplier!

crazyswede
10-10-2013, 01:48 PM
I appreciate the insight. I haven't found a good overall supplier for sprinter parts yet...just dealers and places like SD europarts that sell a good assortment but not a comprehensive one.