PDA

View Full Version : Best place for leather Captain's Chairs...

NetDoc
10-08-2013, 11:58 PM
I dive for a living, which means I am often getting into drive while being wet or very, very damp. Cloth seats start to stink after a while, and frankly these OE seats are a bit tired. I want to get a couple of leather covered captain's chairs, but Amazon and Google are only giving me expensive options. Heated seats are nice when you're chilled from diving, but I don't need anything else other than it being leather.

What did you put in, how much did it cost and where can I get it?

Tom9054
10-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Just bought some swivels from these guys, not sure that's a recommendation.
Google rv salvage, there are others round the country.
http://www.rvpartsnation.com/product/224/flexsteel-252-busr-captains-chair

pfflyer
10-09-2013, 01:06 AM
Some Upholstery shops can re-do your existing frames with new padding and wrap it leather for you.

NetDoc
10-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Some Upholstery shops can re-do your existing frames with new padding and wrap it leather for you. These OE seats just need to go. I want something in a blue leather.

Aqua Puttana
10-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Why blue? Aren't the OEM colors gray?

Anyway, there have been a few threads/posts here where people have installed other brand van seats. It takes some adaptation of the seat base, but from your other posts you should be up to that no problem.

In my situation I'd be checking wreckers (better word than "scrap yard" even here in the USA) for conversion van seats. If money is plentiful then I'm certain there are many new conversion supplier possibilities.

We liked the comfort of our 1994 Dodge Ram Van seats as compared to our 1987 and 2001 same model seats. I'd think that they would be scarce in leather though. Have fun. vic

NetDoc
10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I would love to pull the seats out of my Honda Ridgeline. I think I'm going to find out where she ended up.

Blue is because I just did the headliner in blue and it looks FABULOUS. Far, far better than I thought it would look. It had a stain from a leaky seam above the window (fixing that now) and I was going to just recover it in cloth. But then I saw that I had this blue paint designed for plastic (Krylon Fusion, Patriotic Blue) and since I had nothing to lose and the headliner was already out, I gave it a shot. No, it doesn't look painted. Yes, it looks like blue cloth. Yes, it goes very well with the gray interior, but this is paint designed for plastic. I am finishing up installing a rear view camera and a few other accessories, and I'll show a pic when it's done.

Aqua Puttana
10-09-2013, 01:52 PM
But then I saw that I had this blue paint designed for plastic (Krylon Fusion, Patriotic Blue) and since I had nothing to lose and the headliner was already out, I gave it a shot. No, it doesn't look painted. Yes, it looks like blue cloth. Yes, it goes very well with the gray interior, but this is paint designed for plastic. ...
I found that some Fast Orange hand cleaner and a brush worked just fine to remove the rust stains on my headliner. Took it all away and left no evidence.

I used the Krylon Fusion paint on some white PVC pipe TackTick compass mast brackets I fabricated. It is nice paint. I can see where it would work well on fabric.

I forgot that you had mentioned painting the headliner. vic

crazyswede
10-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Have been keeping an eye out for Saab 9-5 seat with the winter and summer packages installed. While it does not have an arm rest they were heated for the winter time. The summer package consists of perforated leather and fans to draw air away from your body and to help prevent sweat from soaking your clothes. :thumbup: