PDA

View Full Version : intercooler leaking photos

zaskarkid
10-08-2013, 08:03 PM
found this thread, and I have some air noise as well http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10735

inspected my hoses and they look and feel ok, but what is the thing sticking into the intercooler hose junction. Is this the source of the leak?

zaskarkid
10-08-2013, 08:07 PM
pics from below

skydiver007
10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
That is the Intake air temperature sensor and oil in this area is normal. Just make sure the sensor is pushed all the way in and the tabs are not missing or broke. This is not the source of your leak.

You should be looking for oil leaks at the bottom of your radiator in the front of it, or remove the grill and make sure you don't have cracks in the inter cooler which is number 1 in your parts schematic picture.

autostaretx
10-08-2013, 11:59 PM
The *two* gadgets plugged into that unit are (as skydiver said) the IAT sensor, and the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor.
Items (13) and (15) in this parts page:

There really should NOT be visible oil on the outside of those sensors. That's a turbo pressure leak, and can cause "issues".

--dick (who went through 3 IATs)

Thanasis
10-09-2013, 12:13 AM
That is the Intake air temperature sensor and oil in this area is normal. ...

As part of my routine maintenance , I pull this sensor out and spray it with electronics cleaner --- it tends to get contaminated with oil.

zaskarkid
10-09-2013, 12:57 AM
hey thanks for putting up your photo of the charge area - mine was an older one. no oil stains in any other areas.

although, I don't see any cracks, starting to think my top hose is somehow leaking down. pulled air sensor, and it was clean