PDA

View Full Version : can any one recommend a remanufactured steering rack

pipimiller
10-08-2013, 04:42 PM
I have been looking for a remanufactured steering rack and haven't a clue which is the best. Would prefer it made in the USA. I did call Precision Reman. that was recommended by this forum and they don't sell to individuals. I have been looking at Cardone as a possible? Anyone with experience with remanufactured steering racks?
Thanks

pipimiller
10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I am surprised that no one has replied to this post. There must be someone with an experience or opinion.

Aqua Puttana
10-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I am surprised that no one has replied to this post. There must be someone with an experience or opinion.
Perhaps nobody can answer your fairly specific question? I know that I can't.

Here's a thread that may help.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28630&highlight=steering+rack

vic

lindenengineering
10-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Pippimillar
Normally I get them overhauled in Mexico (Guadalajara) so I always have one in the mill.

BUT

If I want one in a hurry then its Carquest.
Pt# 262145 currently going for $603.21 all day!
There is one in Denver call 3034238010 for this Carquest store.
Ask for Deon.

There are units out there but often they are junk. I use Carquest for all my rack demands when in a hurry. They sell from a quality reman company. Read NO come backs
Dennis

pacman_34
10-09-2013, 03:52 PM
There are US remanufactured ones on ebay for under 300. I made an offer on one for around 200 and it was accepted. I would go that route. Its alot cheaper than what others are asking.

NBB
10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
I would buy from an online OEM parts dealer. Even if it is reman'd, at least the OEM dealers impose quality specs that have to be met.

I absolutely despise remanufactured parts sent to the chain stores. I have found 100% of them are crap quality - someone else's problem incompetently re-hacked with zero quality control imposed by the chain stores. The money you save is a pittance compared to the time and labor of re-doing the job 1x? 2x? 3x before you break down and just buy the OEM part anyway? So awesome they all seem to have a lifetime warranty - because you'll be replacing them for a lifetime...

lindenengineering
10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Look
You only get what you pay for.

As a shop owner I get nervous about reman'd parts but in some cases the parts can be of equal quality because the dealer chains buy them from the same sources, but mark them up accordingly.

I recommended the Carquest unit because I have purchased racks for Jaguars/Acuras/and BMW's as well as Sprinters from the same source with no problems, or customer complaint/comeback.

Yes you can get into a Dutch bidding auction if you want with suppliers, but for a repair shop I just use what and who I can rely on to get the job done for a good price that gives me a fair market sector profit without sacrificing the quality of the job.

I usually use my Mexican source for repairs and overhauls of this type simply because I can rely on the quality of the stuff that comes out of Guadalajara.

Just as a point I have dwelled on the fact of opening a shop south of the border staffed with Mex Techs
Overall I like Mexicans and their work ethic, plus their skills are very good.
These days the young Mexicans coming out of tech schools are very MV scan/diagnosis efficient.
Dennis

NBB
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Look
You only get what you pay for.

... but in some cases the parts can be of equal quality because the dealer chains buy them from the same sources, but mark them up accordingly.

Neither of these are necessarily true. A rebuilder will do what the customer demands, and if the customer demands nothing more than a lifetime warranty in exchange for cheap, crappy rebuilt parts, that's what they'll get.

I have no idea what CARQUEST demands of their rebuilders...and I've been burned way too many times to find out. The OEM/dealer parts network is the safest available option short of parts sent straight to the assy line - and is worth every extra penny many times over, IMO.

lindenengineering
10-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Neither of these are necessarily true. A rebuilder will do what the customer demands, and if the customer demands nothing more than a lifetime warranty in exchange for cheap, crappy rebuilt parts, that's what they'll get.

I have no idea what CARQUEST demands of their rebuilders...and I've been burned way too many times to find out. The OEM/dealer parts network is the safest available option short of parts sent straight to the assy line - and is worth every extra penny many times over, IMO.

When you work in this industry you get an inside on what the dealers/manufacturers are using and what the aftermarket uses as replacement parts.

Even then I know of one manufacturer who sells and engine camshaft for $550 when the exact same unit can be bought from the suppliers for $150.

The interesting part of this is that the genuine part failed after a 15 minute run up on a rebuilt engine, the dealer and the vehicle manufacturer refused to cover the labor warranty time.
So even when buying from a dealer and the parts in a genuine box as an OE part the chances of getting a full warranty reimbursement is sketchy to say the least.
Dennis

NBB
10-09-2013, 08:11 PM
When you work in this industry you get an inside on what the dealers/manufacturers are using and what the aftermarket uses as replacement parts.

That may be the case, but you have no inside information nor guarantee should the vendor change to some lowest Chinese bidder with no concern for specs (nor the English language they are printed in). The guy auditing the vendor may have no idea, either. The vendor may also deliver parts that fail the OEM/dealer specs of the same part number to the parts store chains. The two customers may have totally different or zero specs. I've been inside a few global manufacturing operations myself, hence my opinions on the matter. The one, only and single place to get a part (maybe) to OEM spec is the OEM/dealer parts chain. Everything else is a roll of the dice.

pipimiller
10-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the responses and debate. Still leaves me uncertain. At this point I should try the Lucas treatment before replacing. The problem I am having is not leaking but the rack makes a noise when I turn hard over mostly to the left. My mechanic says its the rack bearings but the om is $2000, to much for me. So if the Lucas doesnt work I am going to take the advice of using carquest, have a local store and a real person. Buying one from one of the on line manufactures is unpredictable. Anyone use the Cardone parts?

surlyoldbill
10-10-2013, 03:55 PM
The advancement of CNC manufacturing has reduced tolerances and made parts more reliable and consistent in the last 20 years. We are no longer in the days of parts made on Monday or Friday being significantly worse than parts made during midweek (machines and robots don't know what Monday hangovers and Friday daydreams of weekend drinking to come are). Testing of remanufactured/rebuilt parts has also come a long way. You DO get what you pay for in most circumstances, except when it comes to buying OEM parts from a dealer vs a vendor like Europarts; the part from the dealer is not twice as good as the same exact one from Europarts even though the dealer is charging twice as much.

NBB
10-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Looks like a rack is ~$1650 for a 2010 on GenuineMercedesParts.com. I'd expect you could find a T1N for similar.

If it were me, I'd pay that in a second. Racks are chunk of labor, then you have to get the thing realigned. While you're down there, it makes a ton of sense to replace whatever other suspension components are showing wear. Sometimes it's damage to those components that feeds into damage to your steering gear. It's a big expensive job that I would only want to do once.

CNC machining? Sounds sweet. Where did the program come from, and what set of prints? However, really, they generally don't do CNC machining on rebuilds, it's usually just bushings, bearings, etc - even it it really needed machining and/or the case assy should be scrapped. Again, what print specifies materials, subvendor PN's, bearing clearances, key inspection points, etc? That's right, there's no print and there never will be one. MB isn't going to give you one unless you're certified to ship to them. You're basically relying on the reverse engineering know-how of the rebuilder and whatever guesses and assumptions they can apply to 1 of 100's of different flavor assemblies they see - IMO, basically someone either Chinese or from Meth country. Good luck with that.

Cardone? They are one of the biggest for the bottom end chain stores. I despise everything about them.

Yeah, try a drain and refill first, then maybe some voodoo chemicals. Who knows, maybe some idiot put the wrong spec fluid in there.

Some aftermarket is the same as OEM? Depends on luck, otherwise total BS.

pacman_34
10-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Way too much to spend for a rack. I ordered a rebuild rack for a 2005 sprinter on ebay for $200. I cancelled the order because shipping would have taken a week and I needed the rack right away. I got a used oem rack from lkq on car-part.com for around $160. I paid another $50 for aligment and $20 or $30 for oem fluid. I was all done for around $250. It took about 2 hours of work to drop and replace. Spending more than that is a waste of money. If you do it yourself make sure the steering wheel doesnt spin when the rack is out. You will have to reset the steering angle sensor with a scan tool.

lindenengineering
10-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Interesting view points.

I mentioned the OE camshaft issue because it emphasises the global nature of parts supply chains. When the OE factory shaft failed it was discovered by me to be of Turkish origine and suffering with the same metalurgical issues as the one I could have bought in the aftermarket for $400 cheaper. Even the manufacturing date & batch number was close to one I had used in another incident and had failed previously with similar results. This led me only to spec a genuine OE NOT OEM shaft. But as experience has shown me even some manufacturers slip potentially defective parts into their systems.

Running a shop and being observant lets take a look at Brembo brakes as an example. Marketed to the manufacturer by AE Autoparts UK and all made in China. Certainly quality stuff and arguably as good as the stuff when it was made in Europe.

One manufacturer sells their disc rotors in a factory box for $140 each.
Now I can buy the exact same thing trade for $43. Again the batch serial numbers and specs are a direct correlation to the same rotors in the OE box.

Let's specify Sprinter 2.7 engines to stay on topic.
Mahle complete pistons sets are $468 from MB retail source. hence $2340 for a set of five.
The EXACT same piston through the trade is $1250 for a 5 off piston set.
There are lots of examples of this but I agree buying stuff like Cardone is dealing with the price concious bottom feeders, but there is a place for them especially with price concious customers.

In any case it is going to get worse as E-tailing makes inroads into traditional parts supply businesses.

Now when you deal with fleets and customers who want advise the same factor applies and that is COST.

Lets say a customer came in the shop with a defective rack assy on a 2012 Sprinter.
It would make perfect sense in a repair estimate to specify a genuine MB rack and pay the price for it and the factory support which would hopefully come with it.

Now lets change the formula!
Say that Sprinter is now a 2002 model with 650,000 mls on the clock.
Do you specify a new MB rack or offer a good quality re-man replacement at $600?
The one I would offer would have a year's warranty or 25K miles whichever came first and based upon some peoples usage is about 2 years operation at least.
Next question.
What is a battered up 2002 Sprinter van worth with 650K miles on it?
$6000 ???
So are you saying that you should shell out 30% of its value on a genuine rack or reduce the up front cost by using a quality aftermarket reman unit?
After all how long is the customer going to keep it?
One or two years more?
It doesn't make economic sense!
Especially when you take vehicle disposal /resale values into account.

I could expand this and give you real life situations on large fleet operations and huge cost savings by using SELECT parts from the aftermarket without compromising safety, reliablity and fleet in service ratios( availability).

In the end its all about the money and the manufacturers know how to control their overheads best, believe me.
Dennis

NBB
10-11-2013, 03:48 PM
So are you saying that you should shell out 30% of its value on a genuine rack or reduce the up front cost by using a quality aftermarket reman unit?
No - that's when it's time to sell! Someone with all the time in the world and no value for it can have at it. I'll show them the leak, hand over the records, tell no lies and send that thing on its way.

If you value your time and your time is actually worth something - I think it's roughly the same cost (average) to keep an old car on the road as a new one, except the new one is a lot less trouble.

If it's your business to hedge the aftermarket and you feel like you can win at it, more power to you. I'm not in the business, so I play my cards differently.

Cvollmar
10-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Try Lares corp. They supply Fedex not sure if they sell to the public.

FFR5445
10-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Anyone use the Cardone parts?

I can't speak to their steering racks but I did buy a Cardone rebuilt power steering pump for my Subaru last year. It's working great. Got it at carquest.