PDA

View Full Version : Weirder and weirder

MikeHowe
10-07-2013, 08:56 PM
In the short time that I've been on this forum I have learnt an awful lot, mainly because my sprinter simply will not behave, and so I've had to educate myself about a seemingly never ending list of problems.

It's got to the point now where I absolutely will not give in until the unruly beast is subdued. Yesterday yet another weird thing happened...

I was driving not far from home when the van very suddenly died. No warning lights, no shudder, no noises, the engine simply stopped, facing up a steep hill. I rolled backwards, silently, down the hill and had to stop in the middle of the road.

I checked all the hoses and pipes and it didn't take long for me to notice that rather than air bubbles being in the clear fuel lines, there was no fuel in the clear fuel lines! Then I noticed something very odd. The pipe on top of the fuel filter that receives the fuel line from the tank had cracked at it's base where it joins the fuel filter, and diesel was oozing out of it. And so air was being sucked in and no fuel was reaching the pumps, hence the engine simply died.

I have absolutely no idea how this might have happened, and no one I've spoken to has ever heard of this happening before. So I went into town, bought a new fuel filter, although a different make this time (I've been using the one without the WIF sensor due to previous air in fuel problems), popped it in and the engine fired up again and runs fine.

This is the latest incident in an unbelievably long line of problems, it's beyond a joke now. So much so that I'm actually enjoying the challenge. It's a bit like trying to break a wild horse, and by god I am going to do it.

Just thought I'd share this latest anecdote with you. In case you want to know the dodgy filter was manufactured by Reisse, shan't be buying one of them again.

Mike

surlyoldbill
10-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Someone not to long ago with air problems discovered his feeder hose to be damaged at the filter, cut off 1" and everything was fixed.

david_42
10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Someone not to long ago with air problems discovered his feeder hose to be damaged at the filter, cut off 1" and everything was fixed.

OP had a cracked pipe on the filter, not a hose problem. I don't remember anyone posting the same problem.

Boater
10-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Definitely odd!

MikeHowe
10-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Definitely odd!

I think that because I've had so many odd and common problems people here are going to think I am completely incompetent :) And whilst that is partially true, I can assure you that the strange problems keep coming without any help from me!

The last 2, including this one and the one before, where my injector was leaking fuel from around the nozzle joint, seem to be very rare occurrences. I wonder what will be next?....:bash: