PDA

View Full Version : 2006 engine oil and filter question

sunshinecoastmark1234
10-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Can anyone post the recommended oil and oil filter for my 2006 sprinter, thanks.

sailquik
10-05-2013, 03:03 PM
The most recommended oil is Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula!
This is a full synthetic multi-viscosity oil that will give you the maximum engine
protection throughout the maximum range of ambient temperatures.
The recommended service interval on your T1N Sprinter is to change the oil and oil filter every 10,000 miles.
The most recommended/best oil filter is the MANN-FILTER HU 718/1 k.
It will take 9 quarts of oil for a complete oil/filter change.
DO NOT put all 9 quarts in the engine. Put in 8-8.5 quarts of oil, run the engine
until it's fully up to temperature, then add a bit more to get the oil level (hot....if your engine oil
dipstick has a red handle) up to just below the full line.
Having the oil level slightly low is not a problem.....overfilling it will get you a "HI" greeting from
your Sprinter's engine management computer....meaning the oil level is too high.
The oil is available at your nearest Mercedes Benz Authorized Sprinter Commercial dealer for ~$6.50/quart
which may be less expensive than even WalMart.
You will need the special 14 flat Oil Filter cap/housing socket, so look for one of these if you don't already have one.
http://europarts-sd.com/oilfiltercapwrenchdieselengine-2002-2006.asp
The correct oil comes in 1 quart plastic bottles and perhaps 5 quart plastic jugs.
Make sure it says Mobil 1 European Car Formula and the approvals include MB Bevo 229.5.

I have > 250,000 miles in Sprinters, ~20% of the mileage towing a 4,500 lb. Cargo trailer in the
hot summer months. I may be lucky, but it seems logical that using the most recommended/best fluids
and filters have provided me with completely trouble free miles.
No Turbo Resonator failures; no EGR issues; no DPF issues (NCV3 516 series (3500 NAFTA) here).
The only issue I've ever experienced with a Sprinter was an electronic issue where the engine cut off suddenly.
ECM/PCM was replaced under warranty, and while it did not completely solve the issue, it cut the frequency of incidents to an acceptable level.
Hope this helps,

CJPJ
10-05-2013, 05:48 PM
You have plenty of tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz (Specification 229.5) Multigrade engine oils to chose from.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?navigation_path=bevolisten&blatt=229.5&content_action=show

and this outfitter can provide you with necessary equipment: http://europarts-sd.com/default.asp

:2cents:

shortshort
10-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Don't let the oil companies scam you. I've got 800,000,000,000.00241 miles on my Sprinter running bacon grease. The only drawback is the long line of dogs that always follow me.

sunshinecoastmark1234
10-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Don't let the oil companies scam you. I've got 800,000,000,000.00241 miles on my Sprinter running bacon grease. The only drawback is the long line of dogs that always follow me.

?

sunshinecoastmark1234
10-06-2013, 02:35 PM
The most recommended oil is Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula!
The best oil filter is the MANN-FILTER HU 718/1 k.
It will take 9 quarts of oil for a complete oil/filter change.
DO NOT put all 9 quarts in the engine. Put in 8-8.5 quarts of oil, run the engine
until it's fully up to temperature, then add a bit more to get the oil level (hot....if your engine oil
dipstick has a red handle) up to just below the full line.
Having the oil level slightly low is not a problem.....overfilling it will get you a HI greeting from
your Sprinter's engine management computer....meaning the oil level is too high.
The oil is available at your nearest Mercedes Benz Authorized Sprinter Commercial dealer for ~$6.50/quart
which may be less expensive than even WalMart.
You will need the special 14 flat Oil Filter cap/housing socket, so look for one of these if you don't already have one.
http://europarts-sd.com/oilfiltercapwrenchdieselengine-2002-2006.asp
The correct oil comes in 1 quart plastic bottles and perhaps 5 quart plastic jugs.
Make sure it says Mobil 1 European Car Formula and the approvals include MB Bevo 229.5.
Hope this helps,

Thank you very much, very helpful answer and to the point.

hkpierce
10-08-2013, 05:04 PM
?

Clearly a reaction to someone who hasn't used SEARCH on this forum looking for answers to the exact same question!:bounce: