PDA

View Full Version : Key will not turn

ddduck
10-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Hi ,I have a 05 3500 w/215K. My last cloned key broke off in the door (at the zoo in a hurry :bounce: ) I was able to stick the broken part in the ignition and with the chip part start the van. I had a locksmith make a clone from the broken key for me and it work just a couple of times but with trouble.I then just started using the broken key with the broken chip end to start. Worked fine most of the time for a few weeks. Some times the chip would not read and would have to try again to start the van. Then as I parked the van the other day the key would not turn to the first position. The steering was in the locked position. I can turn the key just far enough to unlock the steering wheel, but when I release the pressure on the key the wheel locks up again. I unlock the shifter a couple of times and shifted back and forth with no change. I have read some post about the newer sprinters have this problem but nothing on the older ones. Are the lock out electronics different on the 05 than newer vans? Might my tumbler be contaminated and not turn? Is it possible to change the tumbler or is it part of the steering column? How do I tell my mechanic buddy to start. I did disconnect the battery and drain any stored voltage by shorting the battery cables to each other. No luck :frown: My buddy has a good scanner to check for faults. Does anyone have an idea where to start? Thanks for any help :bow: Don

Aqua Puttana
10-04-2013, 12:02 PM
...I can turn the key just far enough to unlock the steering wheel, but when I release the pressure on the key the wheel locks up again. I unlock the shifter a couple of times and shifted back and forth with no change.
Sounds mechanical. Maybe further use caused the key stub to not mate up properly?
...Are the lock out electronics different on the 05 than newer vans? Might my tumbler be contaminated and not turn? ... Don
There is no electronic-mechanical lock on key. There is a mechanical cable to the shifter. The SKREEM security on a 2005 prevents engine start. It doesn't prevent the key from turning. vic

ddduck
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks Vic, do you know how to remove the tumbler to replace? I have one locksmith that can get me one for $120

autostaretx
10-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Removing the cylinder is covered in the Service Manual.
The 2006 manual from here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/2006-VA-SM.pdf
covers it on page 19-5

good luck
--dick

ddduck
10-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Thanks Dick you saved me a lot of time :thumbup: