PDA

View Full Version : What is this? Passenger wheel well.

ohlsonmh
10-03-2013, 05:40 PM
My daughter noticed fluid dripping from this rubber thing in my 2004 T1N front passenger side wheelwell - I'm used to dew dripping on the ground in the mornings and never realized it came from some specific component.

The photo of the rubber component was taken later in the day after dripping had stopped in order to get better light up in there - it is wet in the mornings. Van had not been run for several days prior.

It only drips in the morning so it's probably just dew, but I thought I'd ask the experts :idunno:

-Oly

RedDino
10-03-2013, 08:13 PM
What does it taste like?

pfflyer
10-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Looks like the front tire so could it be dew from the windshield dripping into the trough below the wipers then to the holes on the sides the leaves always clog up?

sailquik
10-04-2013, 12:44 AM
ohlsonmh,
I would check to see if that isn't the water drain from your cabin filter.
It's the correct shape, it is in about the right place.
Open the hood and look at that fender and see if there isn't a rubber plug with a hole in the bottom
in front of the cabin filter.
These need to be removed and cleaned out fairly often if you live anywhere with trees to park under
that drop leaves on the front of your Sprinter.
Roger

ohlsonmh
10-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Looks like the front tire so could it be dew from the windshield dripping into the trough below the wipers then to the holes on the sides the leaves always clog up?

Yes, it's the front passenger side wheelwell. There isn't a similar rubber plug or whatever it is on the other side and there is too much machinery above where it is to see if it's anything other than a drain.

Sounds like it is - as I suspected - jut a drainage of morning dew ;-)

Thanks, all!

-Oly

pfflyer
10-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Have you tried pouring some water in the trough to see if it comes out this "plug" or valve? I don't recall this on my 02 and it is not on my 13. I would check the cabin filter box like Sailquik suggested make sure it is all clean and sealed as well. This must be some sort of check valve and makes more sense on the filter box than for the windshield trough and I don't think dew/moisture should be getting in the filter box. If it is for the trough this seems to be over engineering.

Cheyenne
10-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Hi Oly,

I think it is the air cleaner drain (dump) valve.
If you look directly above in the engine bay you should find the air cleaner and this valve will be at it's lowest point so any water will drain away.

Keith.