PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fuse Box

cranecanoe
10-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I am trying to remove the fuse box under the column on a 2002 FL 2500. The upper bolt (with the shoulder) just spins, doesn't seem to be unscrewing from the nut or sleeve just under the steering wheel. I can't see what is happening, just feel it. Any advice?
I am exchanging the fuse box because I keep loosing the turn signal and flasher operation during driving. If I wiggle or move the flasher relays just right, I can get the flashers and turn signals to work again. Sometimes for a day, sometimes for just minutes. I replaced both flasher relays with used ones with similar results, but longer duration of actual use. Eventually the turn signals and flashers stop working again. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Bill

NelsonSprinter
10-03-2013, 06:06 PM
A very common occurrence from an over-tightened bolt.
I think 1 side of the nut is flat and placing a flat screwdriver in above the nut will help stop the turning of the inner part. Others have just cut/busted around the plastic. A very poorly designed fusebox overall IMHO

cranecanoe
10-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Thank You. I'll give that a try straight away. I found a piece of styrofoam behind the fuse box that must have been putting the correct pressure on the box to allow the turn signals to operate. And I found the tabs on the fuse box sides pried away as if someone was trying to open the fuse box without removing it from the vehicle. I believe I'm on the correct path to replace the fuse box. Thanks for the advice!!!!

riskydnb
10-03-2013, 11:03 PM
I have fuse boxes for sale cheaper than dealers list price if you need one call Randy @ 760-622-0148

cranecanoe
10-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks Randy. I'll keep you in mind.

davisdave
10-04-2013, 07:00 PM
I got mine out by putting a socket on a drill motor and pulling the fuse box by hand while spinning the bolt. I drilled a hole and secured the new fuse box with a sheet metal screw.

cranecanoe
10-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Thanks Dave. I did try a slow impact wrench while putting downward pressure on the fuse box. Good idea with the drill. Bill