PDA

View Full Version : plastic trim under rear doors

jb21cri
10-03-2013, 03:07 PM
does anyone know how to remove the plastic trim under the rear doors?there are 7 pins that I have removed but the thing still won't even start to come loose.i want to have access as I believe that it is rusting underneath.jb.

NelsonSprinter
10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
If you mean the plastic on the footwell beside the front seats that helps you step into the van, there are Torx screws holding it to the body under the plugs. It may be covered in sand and a jet of water may clean it out to the screws.

mean_in_green
10-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Once those plastic wedges are out - go carefully and they can be reused - the trim is loose and should just lift out. Damage may be causing it to bind?

It's a good idea on both T1N and NCV3s to whip this part out early on in ownership. It's the part which sits internally under both rear doors. Rain gets under it because of its close proximity to the rear door aperture gasket and rust gets a proper hold before you realize.

Easy pre-emptive action: remove the trim and coat with a thick chassis wax. Do the insides of the rear doors whilst you're at it too.

jb21cri
10-04-2013, 07:27 PM
thanks nelson been there done that.it is a good idea to clean out rust prime and paint the foot wells on the fronts as well as the side slider,mine were all full of sand,dirt and rust.what I was referring to was the plastisc trim under the rear cargo doors.yes I have pulled out the 7 if my memory serves me correctly pins that I assumed held the trim down.i suppose it might be do to damage as m.i.g. suggested but it seems to be held quite firmly as no amount of judicious prying could even come close to loosening it.i know there's rust underneath as I can hear it when I step on the trim itself.will post again if I get this figured out thanks,jb:thinking: