PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Sprinter that wont start unless I use starting fluid.

riskydnb
10-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Hey guys I have a 2005 Sprinter that wont start unless I use starting fluid. Once its started it runs fine. Checked all fuel line pressures with scanner and they all check out. Also, I have a code P0472 Exhaust pressure low, dont know if that has anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?

Boater
10-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Normally that would be air in the fuel lines but I guess you checked that before checking the pressures.

jmoller99
10-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Do an injector leak test. Odds are good you have at least 1 leaky injector.

Injector LeakOff Test: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149

jb21cri
10-03-2013, 02:52 PM
I had the same problem last winter when starting cold in the mornings,good rail pressure but wouldn't start with out ether.turned out to be a weak starter.the gear reduction was dry upon disassembly.fresh starter cured it.jb.

lindenengineering
10-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Hey guys I have a 2005 Sprinter that wont start unless I use starting fluid. Once its started it runs fine. Checked all fuel line pressures with scanner and they all check out. Also, I have a code P0472 Exhaust pressure low, dont know if that has anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?

Well is this a cold start issue?
If so consider glow plugs/system first!!

If its an all the time/condition problem, consider fueling system.
The code you gave is one of them thar erroneous codes, no help at all!
Dennis

Dingo
10-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Personally i would go with duff fuel pump/s , not enough pressure when cranking to start , but the dose of ether allows engine to run & produce sufficient fuel pressure to continue working .

You say you used a scanner , is an aftermarket item or a genuine MB star system ? Third party items have a habit of reading ECU incorrectly & providing meaningless error codes in relation to a sprinter .

You say the scanner read the rail pressure as OK , i take it you obtained these figures once the engine was running , try again when cranking over . you may well get a different story then

Hope this helps , Oh also avoid ether sprays , engines become addicted & no matter how good it was , they won't fire up without a snort from cold & it only gets worse with time .

treat ether as a ONE SHOT emergency aid :professor:

MillionMileSprinter
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Starting spray is really bad for diesels. Mostly because it ignites so easily you get pre-ignition in the cylinders and it can damage the piston heads. It's really made for gasoline engines, not diesel.
Since you have an '05, you don't have to worry about air in the fuel lines. The injector test is one of my personal favorites, and since you aren't throwing a code for low fuel pressure, I would guess you have an injector (or two) that is just sending back most of it's fuel instead of putting it into the cylinder(s). The fuel pressure sensor is before the injectors, so if it were throwing a code, I would look at the high pressure pump or a clogged fuel filter.
Good luck! Keep us posted with any results.