This Will Probably Destroy My T1N...

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
OK, I'm scared to even ask this!

Why does my Sprinter run perfectly with zero problems, as good as a Toyota or Hyundai?

It's a 2005 long and tall T1N, hauling an rv conversion around all day. I drive her very gently, but EGR, transmission, turbo, fuel system.... all perfect!

I am confident to fill up the tank and drive down to visit Argentina with this thing. I regularly drive from FL to Canada... like it's nothing! If you can afford to keep filling the tank, she keeps on going!

Does anyone else feel this way about theirs?

surlyoldbill

At 200k I wouldn't hesitate to drive the spousal equivalent and kids across the country tomorrow. I don't know why a small percentage of people have so many problems.

riskydnb

Why does my Sprinter run perfectly with zero problems, as good as a Toyota or Hyundai?

It's a 2005 long and tall T1N, hauling an rv conversion around all day. I drive her very gently, but EGR, transmission, turbo, fuel system.... all perfect!

I am confident to fill up the tank and drive down to visit Argentina with this thing. I regularly drive from FL to Canada... like it's nothing! If you can afford to keep filling the tank, she keeps on going!

A lot of it has to do with how hard you drive it, my fleet is used for fed ex drivers who have 150 stops a day...stop and go 150 times a day as quick as you can. Even though I take great care of the fleet they have a lot of failures. But we also go thru brakes and tires at least once a year...

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
A lot of it has to do with how hard you drive it, my fleet is used for fed ex drivers who have 150 stops a day...stop and go 150 times a day as quick as you can. Even though I take great care of the fleet they have a lot of failures. But we also go thru brakes and tires at least once a year...
I suspected this. I learned to drive very softly with my first car. 1980's Ford Mustang. Piece of garbage. It broke weekly. My solution was to drive it like a Ford Fiesta (saves a lot of fuel too) and it worked.

Since then, I have babied all my vehicles and it has worked, I think.

Your poor fleet. Ouch. As long as they are making good money though. :)

MikeHowe

2003 Sprinter 413 CDi
Don't worry fellas, I and my T1N will be joining you in trouble free, reliable, relaxed motoring land just as soon as all of the neglect of the previous owner (police) is rectified - I may even be there now, but I'm scared to speak too soon! It's good to know that there is such a place though.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
My first Sprinter was DOA at purchase. Once I got it's issues all sorted out, it gave us 50K happy, trouble free miles up and down the East Coast until a mis-labeled car wash destroyed the roof. Even after the roof was torn up, it still happily towed a 4500# trailer from Fla to Philly.
Our 2nd Sprinter was purchased with about 340K miles on it. Other than having to clean out the radiator(s) to keep it cool and a speed sensor that I accidentally knocked into the tone ring, it's happily hauling my wife and 7 kids around daily. This summer we put a couple thousand miles on it towing the same trailer all over the North East.
I have no hesitations about driving it anywhere.
I also drive carefully and relatively slowly. It is safer, saves fuel and keeps the wear and tear on the van to a minimum.

Ah. A love fest.

I'm very happy with my Sprinter and with over 260,000 miles on the clock I also use it for towing and trips . Driving style can help, but these are mechanical diesel powered computers.

For example, when my rear axle seal went bad and I screwed up the tone ring without my DAD to reset things I would have been driving around with the dash lit up and no safety systems operating until I either found a dealer or someone with the correct scan tool to help me.

I do like my Sprinter, but it can be difficult to access parts and good quality service. I won't even start on the quality of the Arctic whitewash paint.

vic

lindenengineering

Sullyvan
You should have no problem scooting down to Argentina if the van is prepped for the trip.
If there's an issue it will be the road conditions and possible damaged wheels/tires/suspension etc in various parts of Costa Rica.
Once off the ferry to Guayaquil the roads are great from Cuzco south on the Pan American Hwy.
Andale Pues!:rad:
Dennis

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Sully, are you planning a trip to Argentina? Or do you just use it as an example of what you feel you *could* do, if you wanted?

surlyoldbill

I've mentioned it before, but the sample of the population is skewed if you do an internet search for "reliability". People who have problems are motivated to complain about it. People who are just driving don't feel compelled to post their experiences of starting up and driving and parking day after day.

Also, I think modern technology to meet emissions standards has made vehicles a little more frail, so people used to their old Econoline or Suburban may be expecting to be able to neglect the Sprinter and have it continue to function from past experience with other vehicles.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Mine runs great. I think I could point directly to a K&N air filter for all my issues.
After installing one I needed new injectors, A new turbo, EGR valve. I dumped the K&N and my fuel mileage has gone up.
I can't blame it for the ball joints, A/C or smoky Espar. I finally replaced my shocks at 330,000 and the back brakes made it that far too.
I use the cruse control to keep my driving calm.

david_42

My experience has been much the same, a couple problems early on, all covered by the warranty and not much since. Only 88K, but other than routine maintenance I've only replaced the tires and battery, not the brakes or Konis. Even those, I'd call routine for a 9 yo van. I'll be driving it down to Pleasanton, CA in November and don't expect any trouble. I use cruise control even around town and engine braking as much as possible.

At 93,000mi my 04 is running strong.

I push it hard in Los Angeles commuter traffic as my daily driver. A/C blows cold, transmission shifts clean with power on demand. Only failures in the 5 years i've owned it was a cracked radiator and a split Turbo Hose. I've just started getting codes that my glow plugs are failing but it seems to reset itself every few starts.

I upgraded to Koni shocks, Roadmaster Anit-Swaybar and Riordan Turbo Resonator.
Mechanically she seems quite sound and pulls hard at highway speeds. I really enjoy the comfortable seats and elevated ride hight. It lowers my overall stress in traffic.

Complaints?? Body work!!
-Roof leaks water at rear A/C unit when it rains.
-Arctic White paint job flakes off and is rusting everywhere water collects. (roof & windshield)

I can live with body work issues as long as my van continues to drive strong.

Lets hear some more positive feedback from Sprinters owners who are racking up high miles with few troubles.
I need the encouragement.?

2004 NAFTA T1N 140"
10-Passenger Wagon w/ rear A/C unit.
Los Angeles, CA

beachbum57

2003 LTV Free Spirit
Still love mine! Bought used in 2010 with 77,000. Have 115,000 on it now. Have put new brakes, shocks, alternator, tensioner and idler pulleys, serpentine belt, along with regular maintenance items. Only break-down occurred when a return fuel line popped off the fuel temp sensor. The white clip was probably not connected correctly when previous service was done. Has not popped off since connected correctly.

BTW, I traded-in a 2005 Hyundai Tucson when I bought the Sprinter. Sprinter gets the same gas mileage that the Tucson got so my van is my only transportation.

I trust my van to go anywhere and don't believe that it is anymore likely to break down than other cars or vans.

Enjoy your trip!

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
My T1N is still going strong but then at 90000kms, it's barely run in.
Other than a dead glow plug (or two), I've had no issues to speak of during the 30000kms that I've driven it.
Unlike MikeHowe, my previous police owners looked after it :smilewink:

glasseye

Got my 04 with 9800 miles. Nearly 60K incident-free miles so far. Nothing but oil, fuel, tires and brakes.

My dad taught me to drive like I had a raw egg between my foot and the accelerator and an open chocolate milkshake on the dash. :thumbup:

ohlsonmh

Grumpy Member
Sullyvan
You should have no problem scooting down to Argentina if the van is prepped for the trip.
If there's an issue it will be the road conditions and possible damaged wheels/tires/suspension etc in various parts of Costa Rica.
Once off the ferry to Guayaquil the roads are great from Cuzco south on the Pan American Hwy.
Andale Pues!:rad:
Dennis
The Pan American highway is in Chile, not Argentina :thumbup:

That being said, there ARE roads across the Andes - some good, some bad.

Curiously, although it's basically the ONLY long-distance road in Chile, it's called "RT5" ("Ruta Cinco") and when driving on US Interstate 5 in California, you would think you are on the same road: nice & wide, nice rest areas, snowy mountains to the east & big hills to the west.

Only real difference is that the Chilean "RT 5" is plagued with toll booths - in a little Chevvy mini-car we spent more on tolls than gasoline :rolleyes:

I guess they figure "Those who USE the roads, PAY for them".

-Oly

lindenengineering

The Pan American highway is in Chile, not Argentina :thumbup:

That being said, there ARE roads across the Andes - some good, some bad.

Curiously, although it's basically the ONLY long-distance road in Chile, it's called "RT5" ("Ruta Cinco") and when driving on US Interstate 5 in California, you would think you are on the same road: nice & wide, nice rest areas, snowy mountains to the east & big hills to the west.

Only real difference is that the Chilean "RT 5" is plagued with toll booths - in a little Chevvy mini-car we spent more on tolls than gasoline :rolleyes:

I guess they figure "Those who USE the roads, PAY for them".

-Oly
Oly
I am aware of that! I worked in Chile for Daf trucks domiciled In Venezuela for 8 years where I provided product service support for that region.

I mentioned going to Argentina because I did the trip in a Pinzgauer a few years ago from Colorado to Argentina crossing off the Pan American Hwy in Chile to JuJuy crossing into the Salta area. (Saltingueno).
Our ultimate destination was San Miguel de Tucuman but we stopped off to see the folklore celebrations at Cosquin.
My goal at the time was to participate in the folklore celebrations and I would love to go back and see the vivacious Snrta Solidad Pastrutti sing this:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=073aHCCGLd0

I merely thought that Sullyvan might be doing the same thing in Jan 2014. If I could swing it that is what I would be doing in 2014.
Cheers Dennis

shortshort

Dis member
I push mine so hard I split a turbo hose every 50k and I'm lucky to see 22mpg. Other than that, just wear out parts: Brakes, a water pump at 150k and a couple of glowplugs about the same time. Oh, and like ten sets of rear door checks and brackets. The new gen of check arms are a huge improvement, but the brackets are still a piece of under-engineered crap. I recently washed it. Something I do every few years whether it needs it or not. Paint was badly oxidized but cleaned up nicely with TR3. Maxima SC1 made all the badly weathered exterior plastic look showroom fresh. Every spot weld on the roof is rusting, though only light surface corrosion. Stained paint really. What else... The HVAC control knob is really stiff, I need to lube that one of these years. Cracked the nipple off a vane on one of the vents but it was an easy fix with a bit of brad nail. The left/right mirror selector is balky on the drivers side. I have to rock it back on forth a few times to make that work. The OE speakers took a crap. What a shock that was. Speaking of shocks, when I put the Konis on I noticed one of the front struts was weeping. Over 7 years and 185k later, I still wish I'd bought two of them. Mercedes does really well with the simpler vehicles. It's only the really high end stuff that is such over-complicated, unreliable garbage (not my opinion, a documented fact backed up by my mechanic customers). You only hear so much bad news here about the Sprinter because this where people come to get help, not to brag.

Top Bottom