PDA

View Full Version : espar installation

Glow Plug
10-01-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm installing my espar D2 and wiring it up to run it through an auxiliary battery, problem is I have no clue what size or what kind of battery I need :thinking:. The espar heater is the only thing that will be used by the aux battery. The battery will go under the passenger seat. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

nathanhdunn
10-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I have a clone espar heater, though I havn't got around to installing it yet. They actually use a lot of power, 7 amps, for the glow plug that ignites the fuel. This is only used when it's heating, so cycling on and off with a thermostat will be better for your battery.

IF you were going to run it for 12 hours straight, which i doubt. you'd need 84 amp hour storage. and using your battery to only 50% to increase it's lifespan, a 160amp hour battery. This is worst case.

It realy depends on how much it's running, which depends on your location, insulation, and desired temperature setting. It's too variable for anyone to help you. Except perhaps someone with a similar sized van in a similar climate who's tried it and measured the usage.

cahaak
10-03-2013, 12:26 AM
Any decent group 27 deep cycle battery should do the trick for you, you could go up to a group 31 if you want. The Espar will use more power at start up for the GP, but once it is running, it doesn't actually use that much power, especially if it is running on low. Take a look on their website and they have the power draw numbers( 0.67 amps on low to 2.8 amps on high while running). Probably the most important thing here is to do a good job insulating your van, it will greatly reduce the usage and improve the comfort level in general.

Chris