PDA

View Full Version : Some T1N OM611 advice please?

MikeHowe
10-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Since purchasing what turned out to be a poorly maintained ex Police Sprinter mini bus (dual rear wheel) I have been steadily working my way through a LOT of problems. I didn't start out on this mission, it just happened to me, but now I've come this far I'm determined to get through to the relaxing still waters of trouble free motoring....

I've read a huge amount on this forum about common problems and I'd like some advice on my particular engine for clarity. Firstly I'll just quickly list what I've repaired in the past 12 months.

1. Windshield cracked because of rust around frame - had to repair body work before I could replace the windshield

2. Serious black death resulted in a) new head cylinder b) 1 new injector c) all new glow plugs d) new water pump e) new thermostat

3. Air in fuel lines resulted in new fuel filter without the WIF sensor

4. Stalling whilst driving - leak off test - 1 new injector

5. Diesel fuel leaking from injector valley - injector removed and repaired

6. New set of front brake pads and discs, park brake shoes, rear brake discs, park brake cable

7. Alternator clutch seized - replaced

8. New serpentine belt and belt tensioner

Having researched other potential problems I am unclear as to whether my OM611 has :-

1. An EGR valve?
2. A turbo actuator (or do I mean resonator)? :thinking:

These things seem to cause problems but I think that I don't have them on my engine? Is this correct?

Do I need to worry about the HP pump? Anything else? Clarification on the EGR and turbo actuator/resonator (if that's what it's called) would be very helpful.

Thanks as always, Mike :thumbup:

Boater
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Mike, you will have an EGR valve, even my '96 OM602 has an EGR valve, only the aussies don;t have them. Not sure how problematic they are on the OM611. To find it identify your exhaust and inlet manifolds and look for a pipe running between them, the valve will be in that pipe near the inlet manifold. Check if it is vacuum operated or electrical, the electrical ones have cooling water supply but vac ones are really easy to disconnect and clean if you suspect trouble with it. When the engine is hot the ECU pulses the valve open and closed to let some of the exhaust into the intake with the goal of burning some of the previously unburned deposits in it to try and cut emissions.

I think the turbo resonator is an American thing, I'm not even certain what it is (silencer I think), but is different to the turbo actuator, which depending on the type of turbo you have will be a vacuum or electrically operated push-rod that either controls the wastegate (fixed geometry) or the compressor vanes (variable geometry). I doubt the actuator will give you any trouble.

MikeHowe
10-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Mike, you will have an EGR valve, even my '96 OM602 has an EGR valve, only the aussies don;t have them. Not sure how problematic they are on the OM611. To find it identify your exhaust and inlet manifolds and look for a pipe running between them, the valve will be in that pipe near the inlet manifold. Check if it is vacuum operated or electrical, the electrical ones have cooling water supply but vac ones are really easy to disconnect and clean if you suspect trouble with it. When the engine is hot the ECU pulses the valve open and closed to let some of the exhaust into the intake with the goal of burning some of the previously unburned deposits in it to try and cut emissions.

I think the turbo resonator is an American thing, I'm not even certain what it is (silencer I think), but is different to the turbo actuator, which depending on the type of turbo you have will be a vacuum or electrically operated push-rod that either controls the wastegate (fixed geometry) or the compressor vanes (variable geometry). I doubt the actuator will give you any trouble.

Thanks mate that's all good to know. I shall have a rummage around to locate my EGR. Sounds like there shouldn't be too many more common problems coming my way, just the usual wear and tear issues.

owner
10-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Boater, our early t1n om602 powered sprinters have egr here in oz, but the later cdi t1n models don't. I'm guessing its because of the better default emissions of the cdi common rail, coupled with the lower standards for commercial vehicles.

In other words I'm pretty sure the cdi models escaped EGR in the UK and europe as well. They also don't have the turbo resonator, that seems to be a yank only thing too.

Boater
10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Could be right owner - I'm not sure any of them actually need them to pass emissions testing but have them anyway!

I'll try and remember to look in my Haynes manual tonight which covers the OM611, I was exhausted last night so didn't go look for it!
Finished fitting a new diesel tank to my car last night, right swine to get the drivers side strap on, I had to position the jack just right so both front and back were pushed up together until I could get the bolt to start engaging. I must be getting the hang of priming and bleeding the fuel system though, it started right up and although it stopped when it found some air it re-started with just a few seconds turning over, I normally have much more trouble with it than that!

MikeHowe
10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Could be right owner - I'm not sure any of them actually need them to pass emissions testing but have them anyway!

I'll try and remember to look in my Haynes manual tonight which covers the OM611, I was exhausted last night so didn't go look for it!
Finished fitting a new diesel tank to my car last night, right swine to get the drivers side strap on, I had to position the jack just right so both front and back were pushed up together until I could get the bolt to start engaging. I must be getting the hang of priming and bleeding the fuel system though, it started right up and although it stopped when it found some air it re-started with just a few seconds turning over, I normally have much more trouble with it than that!

Thanks Boater, if you've got access to a Haynes and can look it up for me when you've got a moment I'd be grateful :)

Boater
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Haynes says your EGR valve is at the rear left side of the inlet manifold, seems to be vacuum operated.

If you suspect it is giving you trouble, or want to do a pre-emptive clean, should be as simple as pulling the vac hose off, undoing the clips both ends of the aluminium pipe to remove it, then undoing 2 - 4 nuts or bolts on the EGR body itself. Look out for an o-ring where it connects to the manifold. Clean it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, maybe use a scraper to shift any stubborn deposits and make sure the plunger seats OK.

They can fail, but I think it is rarer than it seems to be because a lot of garages will just change it without cleaning, most DIYers find that cleaning solves it.

I reckon you'll be fine!

MikeHowe
10-02-2013, 08:29 PM
That's good info, thanks so much for looking it up for me. I don't have a problem with it at the moment but I'm just trying to anticipate future problems, so it's good to know I have an egr, I'll have a look for it but won't fiddle just yet!