PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug use

Buckeyemac
09-30-2013, 03:11 AM
I have a 2005 2500. I have read quite often in the forum, that when a glow plug goes bad it can be real difficult to replace. I am not a mechanic, so straighten me out on my thinking. Quite often, from force of habit and senility, I just jump in and turn the key without waiting for the plugs to warm up and it starts in warm weather. If it will start this way, can the life of the glow plug be extended because it is not being used?

sailquik
09-30-2013, 04:02 AM
Not totally sure, but whenever you start your engine from cold, the glow plugs will cycle, even if you do not give them
the full time they need to get really up to temp by turning the engine over.
So, you are probably not extending the life of the glow plugs.
If you live if a warm enough climate, the glow plugs are really not necessary, but they do help control the cold start up emissions.
If you live in a cold climate (=< 20 deg. F fairly often) and have one or more bad glowplugs then you will eventually go out one
cold morning and not all your cylinders will fire for a maybe 30 seconds. This pushes raw fuel into the cold cylinder and is really
not a good idea.
Fuel wash down of the rings in a stone cold engine can cause significant abnormal wear on the cylinders/pistons/ rings.
Best to replace them, and best to always try to give them the full cycle time the require....it's like < 5 seconds and they are up to
full temp if your battery is at full charge.
That 5 seconds every morning can extend the life of your engine!
Roger

riskydnb
09-30-2013, 06:05 AM
I dont think the outside temp makes a difference in the life expectancy of the glow plugs. I work on a fleet of sprinters in the Arizona desert and I replace glow plugs quite often. If you need some I sell them...http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27954