PDA

View Full Version : scangauge question

EZoilburner
09-29-2013, 04:11 PM
I was programing the scangauge II gauges for someone else and since the vehicle was not at hand I used My sprinter to turn the SG on and do this, well I can't get it out. I tried pulling pressing and the obdII plug will not give, I use a other t1n scanner many times on the sprinter and never had a problem, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I don't want to break the plug on My t1n to get this off.

Thanks.

pfflyer
09-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Mine was tough to remove as well in my 02. No tips except you just have to work at getting it out.

Sgt Ret
09-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Mine was the same way I thought I would break something to get it out just keep working it side to side. I ended up putting some electrical grease a small amount in the plug and it works a lot better I don't know if that's good or bad I just know it worked for me. Hope that helps good luck.

pfflyer
09-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Mine was the same way I thought I would break something to get it out just keep working it side to side. I ended up putting some electrical grease a small amount in the plug and it works a lot better I don't know if that's good or bad I just know it worked for me. Hope that helps good luck.

I thought about doing that as well. How long ago did you do that? Anyone know of any ill effects?

Sgt Ret
09-30-2013, 03:04 AM
I did it about 4months ago I used a small art brush like a pin head and put a small amount in each hole have not had any problems. Better then breaking off the connector.

EZoilburner
10-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Well I did get it out after much back and forth, I removed the clip from the scangauge plug I don't want that thing getting stuck again, I will be more careful next time I plug something temporary to the van next time.

oregonjim
10-05-2013, 10:04 AM
radio shack makes an aerosol tuner/cleaner that has a lubricant. I have used it on various electronics.
I am planning to buy a scanguage !1 for my 06.
would appreciate any advice.

sailquik
10-05-2013, 12:10 PM
oregonjim,
Have had Scan Gauge II's in all my Sprinters...actually the same Scan Gauge II with the same cable and plug....and never had any issues
with getting it connected or disconnected.
To avoid the problem that EZoilburner experienced, it is suggested that you remove the little plastic door for the OBD-II port.
It has small plastic hinge pins (not removeable) but if you are careful you can spread the trunions that the hinge pins engage enough to
slip the cover off the port. I stow the cover in the bottom of the Glove box so it can be reinstalled when selling or trading in the Sprinter.
Also, if the plug does not go in easily but snugly, it's probably a good idea to work it a bit with a file/emery cloth on the high spots that are causing
it to be tight.
A bit of petroleum jelly or some other lube could be used, but I think removing the cover and being careful + fitting (only if required) is really all you
need to do.
Hope this helps,
Roger

oregonjim
10-05-2013, 09:17 PM
thanks Roger. I just ordered a scanguage ll and also a spliitter to avoid any problem.
jim