2014 Sprinters and OBD compliance

surlyoldbill

Since I have a T1N, I have to use a DRBIII or DAD to do diagnostics.
Are the NCV3s compliant with aftermarket OBD devices?
How about the "redesigned" 2014 Sprinters?

Boater

I can see what you mean, but here is a technical answer!

All vehicles sold in the US have to be OBD2 compliant, your T1N is OBD2 compliant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

OBD2 only really covers emissions related stuff (other stuff is non-mandatory)
Most things above and beyond emissions is manufacturer extension to OBD2, there is no de-facto standard that all manufacturers use or that any generic scan tool can assume for anything beyond what is in the OBD2 standard.
And yes, I know some of the OBD2 mandated stuff varies slightly in regard to interpretation for a given engine/system but that is usually easy enough to work out.
So strictly speaking, a vehicle is OBD2 compliant if it meets the mandatory requirements but not the optional stuff, so even where there is a standard OBD2 code that isn't mandatory, the manufacturer complies even if they assign a different meaning to it, or use a different code for the same meaning.... OBD2 compliance in itself does not mean any OBD2 code reader can interpret all the codes!

It makes no sense for manufacturers in a world where IP is valuable to allow all their codes to be understood by any device other than the one they sell!
If I recall Dennis' post the other day right, Toyota data is pretty much out in the open but they seem to be alone....
Most other manufacturers protect their dealer network's market edge with ability to diagnose their vehicles in a way few others can afford to!

I share your frustration, but I can't see the situation changing any time soon!

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
2013 upgrades through to 2016 are the same as the July release 2006 NCV series 906
U need X entry for data access.
Are U Rich...:lol:
mbt.JPG
global training 2 (Custom).JPG
As Boater states and I agree ,however with reservations there are specific requirements and strings attached, with associated costing involved, it's simply not free,nor should it be.

As an example only...If this information was freely given to all !There would be no franchisee outlets to service your vans .

espf1.jpg

espf11.jpg

espf12.jpg
Have a great weekend folks.
Cheers Richard

Top Bottom