PDA

View Full Version : AC Stopped Working

Joelmoak
09-26-2013, 03:25 PM
I have a 2006 3500 Sprinter Cargo with AC in the front only and a berrier behind the seats. Yesterday after driving for an hour in th heat of Dallas being cooled the system stopped blowing cold air. Last night I bought a freon can with a guage and it went into the red saying "possible mechanical failure" I also thought I was hearing a tone (1K) near the AC compressor. I checked it again this morning with the vents closed and just the top vents by the radio open and cool not cold air probably just outside air on regular and recycle. I checked again the freon and still reads "possible mechanical failure". I was able to turn the front of the AC compressor unit by hand and it has the belt on it as well. Should I replace the compressor? They are not cheap....

riskydnb
09-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I have a 2006 3500 Sprinter Cargo with AC in the front only and a berrier behind the seats. Yesterday after driving for an hour in th heat of Dallas being cooled the system stopped blowing cold air. Last night I bought a freon can with a guage and it went into the red saying "possible mechanical failure" I also thought I was hearing a tone (1K) near the AC compressor. I checked it again this morning with the vents closed and just the top vents by the radio open and cool not cold air probably just outside air on regular and recycle. I checked again the freon and still reads "possible mechanical failure". I was able to turn the front of the AC compressor unit by hand and it has the belt on it as well. Should I replace the compressor? They are not cheap....

No you need either an HVAC control panel or a heater shut off valve. I have both used in stock. Call me if interested 760-622-0148 -Randy

Joelmoak
09-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I finally had time to look closer at the compressor. It is not spinning normally just making periodic half turns. Does that mean I need a new clutch or compressor or both?

bc339
09-28-2013, 03:05 PM
Watch the clutch carefully. Does the air gap of the clutch increase/decrease (clutch open/close) while it's running? Also, turn the pulley by hand - this will require that you take tension off the serpentine belt. Is there a rough spot or binding while turning the compressor pulley? This would indicate that the compressor has failed and will need to be replaced.
If the clutch is cycling (air gap opening/closing), a low charge can cause this.

If the compressor is good, take it to an AC shop - you should find out the true amount of refrigerant in the system. A shop will evacuate your system, check for leaks and then add the correct quantity - there should be a label on a cross member under the hood that will list the r-134 amount (typically 1.9 lbs.) Adding cans of r-134 to the system can prove to be very unsafe if you don't have a leak - you can create dangerously high pressures real quick, making repairs to you and your Sprinter very expensive.

Bruce

Joelmoak
09-29-2013, 02:15 AM
I don't know exactly what to look for with the "air gap" but before I saw your post I checked the compressor and the clutch wobbles when spinning and can be pushed upwards and has space between plates. When turned on it wakes half turns. I'm thinking I need to buy a new compressor/clutch assembly.

bc339
09-29-2013, 04:59 AM
The air gap is the distance between the clutch and the pulley - 0.020" to 0.035" - about as thick as 5 sheets of paper.
When the A/C is on, does the clutch cover plate and pulley turn together when it's making half turns or is the pulley spinning and the clutch slipping (starting and stopping)?

riskydnb
09-29-2013, 04:09 PM
You probably just need the clutch but I would replace the whole compressor. I have them in stock, pretty cheap. Call me if interested 760-622-0148 -Randy

Joelmoak
09-29-2013, 11:08 PM
The air gap is the distance between the clutch and the pulley - 0.020" to 0.035" - about as thick as 5 sheets of paper.
When the A/C is on, does the clutch cover plate and pulley turn together when it's making half turns or is the pulley spinning and the clutch slipping (starting and stopping)?

The pulley spins wobley and the clutch cover plate does not spin enough to see if they are together as it may make as much as a half turn every 20 turns of the pulley. It is about 5 sheets of paper between plates. I am able to push the front of the clutch plate about 1/4 of an inch up.

bc339
09-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Based on your description of the wobbly pulley and the amount of play in the clutch cover, it sounds like it's time for a new compressor.

A new compressor from Denso (original equipment) is about $300.00
http://www.densoproducts.com/SearchResults.aspx?kw=471-1293

Rebuilts are available, too - they are a few dollars less.

Bruce

Joelmoak
09-30-2013, 12:45 AM
Thank you.... Thats my next project...