PDA

View Full Version : MIL light?

sebtown
09-26-2013, 02:24 AM
The MIL light on my 2006 5cyc came on and when I checked the manual I had not experienced any of the issues noted, the fuel tank was full. I went ahead and "bled" the fuel system anyways which made the light go out. Drove it that day but the next morning the light came back on. Any thoughts from this forum would be appreciated.

lindenengineering
09-26-2013, 02:45 AM
Most likely glow plug/glow plug controller issues but a scan will confirm what is going on! -In short it is a window on the world of faults.
Dennis

surlyoldbill
09-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Why did you think it was fuel related?

Aqua Puttana
09-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Why did you think it was fuel related?
He probably consulted his manual.

Of all the things that can trigger the MIL they picked those to highlight?? Especially with the Water in Fuel sensor air leak possibilities after disturbing the fuel filter (2001 - 2003 models). :crazy:

vic

ohlsonmh
09-26-2013, 07:31 PM
OK - I'll bite - what is the relationship between the "Engine Control Module Light" in the manual, as presented here, and a "MIL light?

And what IS a "MIL" light, anyway?

I just LOVE acronyms :bash:

-Oly

Boater
09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
MIL = Multifunction Indicator Lamp
The Engine Control Module makes it light up :)

In the UK it is often referred to as the CEL - Check Engine Light, because they intend you to go to a dealer and have the engine checked when it comes on....

Oh yeah, and on my older sprinter it isn't even engine shaped, it is a red light with the letters EDC - Electronic Diesel Control! Gotta love it when your MIL/CEL has EDC written on it!

Aqua Puttana
09-26-2013, 09:02 PM
OK - I'll bite - what is the relationship between the "Engine Control Module Light" in the manual, as presented here, and a "MIL light?

And what IS a "MIL" light, anyway?

I just LOVE acronyms :bash:

-Oly

These are all the Same Picture of an Engine on the Dash Warning Light

Names are interchangeable: MIL Malfunction Indicator Light, CEL Check Engine Light, ECU Engine Control Unit as in the page from the manual. (common name used across the pond)

Some additional Sprinter acronyms are here for your reading pleasure, or possibly to raise your BP a few points.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=250048#post250048

:cheers: vic

P.S. - For the younger readers, BP = Blood Pressure

ohlsonmh
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
These are all the Same Picture of an Engine on the Dash Warning Light

Names are interchangeable: MIL Malfunction Indicator Light, CEL Check Engine Light, ECU Engine Control Unit as in the page from the manual. (common name used across the pond)

Some additional Sprinter acronyms are here for your reading pleasure, or possibly to raise your BP a few points.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=250048#post250048

:cheers: vic

P.S. - For the younger readers, BP = Blood Pressure

Thanks, Vic & Boater --->Wow - whotta' puzzlement!

Perhaps a simple Dollar Sign ($) would be appropriate , and eliminate confusion. :dripsarcasm:

:lol:

BTW (By The Way) It would have sure saved a lot of frustration and possibly money if that light had come on when my ECU failed earlier this year. -Oly

Aqua Puttana
09-28-2013, 12:23 AM
BTW (By The Way) It would have sure saved a lot of frustration and possibly money if that light had come on when my ECU failed earlier this year. -Oly
I believe that I remember your trials and tribulations with your intermittent no start situation. I didn't recall that the MIL, CEL, ECU dash indicator wasn't on.

Now that you mention it, that is rather ironic isn't it. :bash::frown::idunno::yell::wtf::rolleyes::cheers: :hugs:

(There wasn't an individual smiley that seemed to fit.)

vic

sebtown
10-02-2013, 01:19 AM
As the OP on the MIL light I may have found the solution. After some reaserch on this forum someone mentioned a rusted gas cap and how it may not be venting properly. I never looked at the backside of my gas cap and sure enough the center was thick with rust. I bought a new gas cap and could clearly see the vent holes which were rusted over on the old cap. I drove around a little and the light went out! I encourage everyone to look at the flip side of your gas cap before you go through the angst of having that little motor icon light up on your dash. I might add that at $14.25 this maybe my least expensive repair ever!

ohlsonmh
10-03-2013, 03:34 AM
I believe that I remember your trials and tribulations with your intermittent no start situation. I didn't recall that the MIL, CEL, ECU dash indicator wasn't on.

Now that you mention it, that is rather ironic isn't it. :bash::frown::idunno::yell::wtf::rolleyes::cheers: :hugs:

(There wasn't an individual smiley that seemed to fit.)

vic

Beautiful, Vic!

Almost makes my trials & tribulations worth the price of admission!

Thanks for a hearty laugh!

-Oly

LeeOts
12-19-2014, 03:25 PM
I know this thread is over a year old but it seemed as good place as any to thank all the Sprinter Wrenches, Nutz, Nerds, Geeks, etc who contribute their collective knowledge, expertise, skills and experience in making life easier for those of us who can barely tell a wrench from a spanner.

Recently, as I prepared my 2006 WGO View for sale, it started throwing a MIL/CEL (malfunction indicator light/check engine light). My SGII (ScanGauge II) found codes P0674 and P0380, typical of defective glow plug #4. After reading all the scary, hairy, puckery stories about seized GPs (glow plug), I did what most do, procrastinated. Finally, knowing that it would never sell w/ a MIL/CEL, I bought two GPs from Europarts-SD (http://europarts-sd.com/) and took the rig to my local wrench who has cared for the View. I painstakingly explained it would require patience and finesse on his part to run the engine up to ~190F, rock said bad GP to & fro, my $160 SGII might not have identified the correct defective GP and if the GP broke off, it would be a major expense to get it fixed.

Tony, the wrench, likes to mess with me so he nonchalantly replied, "Don't worry, if it's seized I'll have Alan (his 300lbs partner) slap a 1" impact wrench on it and yank that sucker out one way or the other. It might twist the head off the block but it'll be out!" I think I passed out at that point.

Well, the GP came right out w/o any devastating boo-boos. Then, I got even with him because his fancy scanner wouldn't reset the MIL/CEL. I used my SGII to reset it while Tony muttered something about a "$6K POS." All this cost me a grand total of $60 plus $16 for the GP. This morning, in 36F temps, the View started right up w/o a MIL/CEL or blue smoke.

This would have been easier on my nerves if I hadn't confused MIL/CEL with the GP light. I didn't realize a defective GP relay would set a GP light while a MIL/CEL only indicated a GP related emission fault. All this dawned on me after reading dozens of threads on this forum. Thanks again for all the great advice.

Lee
2006 WGO View (for sale (http://prescott.craigslist.org/rvs/4775703617.html))
2010 WGO Vista (more room, half the MPG)