PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve: Replace it or Clean it?

butterjojo
09-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Wondering if anyone out there can advise me about the merits of replacing the EGR valve vs. cleaning it on my '04 Sprinter. Dealer wants to replace it, but that's going pretty deep in the purse. Not a mechanic myself, so I'd need to find someone to do one or the other . . .

riskydnb
09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Is your vehicle not working correctly for them to want to change it? If its not you have around a 25% chance that cleaning it will fix the problem temporarily of course. If you end up wanting to buy one I sell the same one that came on your vehicle for $385 including shipping and tax, which is probably $250 cheaper than the dealer for the same part. Where are you located? Maybe I know someone by you that can install it...Call me if you have any questions.

Randy
760-622-0148

RedDino
09-25-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm facing the same question and I'm buying a new one. After the swap I will see if the old one is fixable/ cleanable. If it is, I will have a spare for the next time around.

Tom9054
09-25-2013, 09:27 PM
Not a mechanic myself, so I'd need to find someone to do one or the other . . .

That's my line! Yet last weekend with the picture by picture assistance available on this forum, I shined mine up. Pretty well I may add.
Did it help mpg any? Not sure yet, short road trip planned for Friday - we'll see.
I say go for it, tell us how it went! :thumbup:

butterjojo
09-26-2013, 05:59 AM
The vehicle's working fine right now. Brought it in to the dealer to get the turbo fixed (which they did a good job of doing); they said that while they were inspecting the vehicle they noticed the egr was getting cruddy and "could leave me stranded" if it were to conk out. Also said it'd give me problems when I need to pass smog come Feb. These guys are good but, as with all dealers, they charge more than other shops and want to always do something else, then something else after that. Trying to figure out where this repair ranks in the importance scale, since I've got a big trip planned for next month.

riskydnb
09-26-2013, 06:17 AM
The vehicle's working fine right now. Brought it in to the dealer to get the turbo fixed (which they did a good job of doing); they said that while they were inspecting the vehicle they noticed the egr was getting cruddy and "could leave me stranded" if it were to conk out. Also said it'd give me problems when I need to pass smog come Feb. These guys are good but, as with all dealers, they charge more than other shops and want to always do something else, then something else after that. Trying to figure out where this repair ranks in the importance scale, since I've got a big trip planned for next month.

How many miles do you have on vehicle? Also, it wont leave you stranded, you just wont be able to go over 45mph roughly...

surlyoldbill
09-26-2013, 02:46 PM
If the EGR on the 04 is somehwat similar to the one on the 02-03, it is simple to replace, anyone with a t30 (t25?) torx bit can do it.
Disconnect intake hose
unplug elec harness from EGR
remove 5 or so bolts
remove EGR
place new EGR
reverse above steps

No mechanic required.
Look online for best price, I purchased a new OEM EGR for my van for under $300 on ebay.

butterjojo
09-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Mileage is up around 104K. I'm thinking maybe I should invest in a new valve & carry it with me on the road in case something goes awry. Is there a distinct point where the valve will "fail", or would it be a more gradual fading away of performance?

butterjojo
09-26-2013, 07:02 PM
The quote from the dealer, btw, is $990 + tax for replacing the "noisey egr valve". They also recommended replacing all 5 glow plugs & the module for $856. Yeeouch! I think I need to find a sprinter mechanic in the Oakland area that isn't used to dealing with people who are made of money . . .

EZoilburner
09-26-2013, 07:21 PM
The quote from the dealer, btw, is $990 + tax for replacing the "noisey egr valve". They also recommended replacing all 5 glow plugs & the module for $856. Yeeouch! I think I need to find a sprinter mechanic in the Oakland area that isn't used to dealing with people who are made of money . . .

Not long ago there was a thread with a discussion about some good mobile mechs in CA, this might be Your ticket.

skill3
09-26-2013, 10:22 PM
The EGR valve on the 2004 is really easy to change. It takes about 5 minutes. Any competent mechanic can do it. Buy the EGR valve, find a friend or neighbor that is mechanically inclined. Show them the new EGR valve and they will see how easy it is to replace. It's really simple.

Three torx head bolts, one hose clamp, and one electrical connector.

surlyoldbill
09-26-2013, 10:27 PM

YIKES!
Never use a dealer shop unless it's for a warranty repair.
People's Precision in Berkeley (near REI) works on Sprinters.
I'LL work on your Sprinter to replace the EGR, GPs and module for a fraction of what the dealer want's to charge you.

Aqua Puttana
09-26-2013, 10:59 PM
The quote from the dealer, btw, is $990 + tax for replacing the "noisey egr valve". ... with people who are made of money . . .
"Noisey"? Some of them are noisey for years. They are controlled by PWM Pulse Width Modulation. Sometimes the operating coils are just a bit different and "noisey". :2cents:

Three torx head bolts, one hose clamp, and one electrical connector.

You are exactly correct... as long as the soot hasn't locked it in. I was fortunate with mine. A few judicious taps with a hammer and it come out.

He may find that operation remains the same and a perfectly good EGR valve was removed. Don't remove the security rejection screws!!! Once the EGR is separated by doing that it will likely never work again so it is ruined as a spare part.

:2cents: vic

dhommes
10-01-2013, 04:51 AM
That's my line! Yet last weekend with the picture by picture assistance available on this forum, I shined mine up. Pretty well I may add.
Did it help mpg any? Not sure yet, short road trip planned for Friday - we'll see.
I say go for it, tell us how it went! :thumbup:

Tom -

Where do you find the "picture by picture assistance" for cleaning the EGR valve? I'd like to do the same thing to mine.

-Dan

Pilgrim
10-01-2013, 01:13 PM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27635&page=2

riskydnb
10-02-2013, 06:37 AM
"Noisey"? Some of them are noisey for years. They are controlled by PWM Pulse Width Modulation. Sometimes the operating coils are just a bit different and "noisey". :2cents:

You are exactly correct... as long as the soot hasn't locked it in. I was fortunate with mine. A few judicious taps with a hammer and it come out.

He may find that operation remains the same and a perfectly good EGR valve was removed. Don't remove the security rejection screws!!! Once the EGR is separated by doing that it will likely never work again so it is ruined as a spare part.

:2cents: vic

When the EGR is locked in there I hit it side to side with a rubber mallet a couple times then stick a phillips head screw driver in the hole where the coolant hose goes and pry up. It comes out everytime.

surlyoldbill
10-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Hey, quick question about 04-06 EGRs.
Butterjo came by yesterday to have me take a look at his EGR for my opinion, and I was under the impression that he had an OM612 for some reason, I glossed over the "2004" part of his post. He has an OM647 with the other EGR, I'm not familiar with them. I started to remove it to look at the crud buildup, but coolant started dripping out. Not wanting to make a mess or fix something that wasn't broke, I tightened it back up.
Question: When removing thr OM647 EGR, do you drain the coolant a little, or do you just let that bit drain out as you take the hose off and top it off afterwards?

Other info on his original post; no GP dash light staying on so GPs are good.

Boater
10-02-2013, 07:37 PM
The refinement in EGR design is a pain!

The EGR is simply a valve, it opens to let exhaust into the inlet to have a bit more oil burned out of it. Some of the oil/carbon stuff in the exhaust will precipitate on the valve and the valve and valve stem. Over time the carbon deposits will build up and cause the valve to stick, when that happens it doesn't open so no exhaust goes into the engine. The ECU reduces the fuel a bit as it opens the EGR so within a few cycles it will realize that it is losing power and conclude that the EGR is broken, probably put your MIL/CEL/EDC/Engine shaped light on, probably record a P0400 DTC and maybe engage limp home mode. Jolly inconvenient! I don't know about the Mercedes system but my GM car keeps trying the EGR and if it starts working again it will restore power, until it fails again....

So in the vast majority of cases the code that dealers (and other garages) tend to interpret as a chance to sell you a new EGR arises from a bit of carbon build up making thinks sticky, carbon build up which is a direct result of the stupid purpose of the thing that gets stuck up (sorry, that's my anti-egr sentiment coming through!).

Originally EGR valves were vacuum actuated, the valve stem is attached to a diaphragm, so whe vacuum is applied on the other side the diaphragm is sucked towards it and opens the valve. In theory that diaphragm could get damaged but usually the valve just sticks. Removing it and flooding it with carb cleaner will remove the carbon deposits and get it working like new again.

Then they made electric EGR valves, one presumes there is a servo in the body, and the chance of servo failure becomes a possibility. It is probably pretty rare, most likely the valve is gummed up with carbon deposits.removing it is little different to a vac one, an electrical connector may be a bit more fiddly than a vac hose. You may need to be a bit careful where you direct the carb cleaner when cleaning it up in case it is bad for the electrics - but actually, how different is it from electrical cleaner? Is it a big deal if you get some in there and let it evaporate.

The latest generation have a microprocessor in apparently (confirmation?) which needs to be kept cool, so they made it water cooled and included it in the vans coolant circuit. Now removing the EGR is a mission, and you probably want to be a bit careful if it really has a microprocessor in it, but still the most common problem will be that it is gummed up and needs careful blasting out with carb cleaner. Yes there are more bits on it to go wrong, but when the dealer is saying that you are goign to have a future problem with it crudding up, that's pretty much an admission that the problem will not be with the electrics or electronics, but with the carbon deposits. At $300 or $900 for an EGR valve, I would definitely want to learn how to clean that puppy myself before letting a garage get their hands on it!

So, Bill - you have found coolant, how to deal with it? EGR valve is pretty high up, all that is really above it is the heater matrix - if you can position a container under the hose to collect the contents of the heater matrix you can probably just take the redneck approach, on the other hand, T1Ns have a handy red drain cock on the drivers (US driver) side of the radiator, so it's probably tidier to attach a bit of hose to that and drain off a couple of litres (or quarts if you prefer) before you start. Probably has around 9 or 10 litre coolant capacity but most of that will be below the EGR valve.

hemmingway
11-06-2013, 07:25 AM
hi i have a 2002 sprinter 2.7 diesel does anyone know where the egr valve is located thanks

EZoilburner
11-06-2013, 12:02 PM
It is between the intake and the last rubber hose from the intercooler, assuming You know where to locate this two. You can do a search on this forum (top right) and You'll have days of reading regarding the EGR, how to clean it, what to clean it with, when it fails, some even came up with a gizmo to have the ECM think it is still there when it fails (still a prototype) and lots more.

EZoilburner
11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Here is one http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22276&highlight=egr+pics enjoy.

Crapu
11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Hello!
I succeed to remove my EGR and I found out it is not so dirty as I was expecting.
But I saw a small quantity of oil inside and a little oil fell down through the small whole from vacuum. I attach 2 photos.
I'm wondering whether it is normal or not to have oil there?... If not, what could be the reason?
Meantime I finished the job. EGR is clean as well as the cover of inlet manifold.
Dismantling the cover of inlet manifold I found dirty black oil... I have same questions to you, is it normal?...
Tks.