PDA

View Full Version : abs and low speed shifting problem

mike01001
09-25-2013, 12:52 PM
2006 Dodge Sprinter T1N. Soon after replacing my drivers side front rotor my abs/transmission acted up. When coming to a stop, no matter what the speed, my abs will pulse when my speed drops to about 5 - 10 mph. If I do not come to a complete stop and accelerate at this time my transmission will not fully engage and makes pulsing or jerking situation until the van accelerates out of that speed range. Once moving out of that range the transmission shifts smoothly. If I accelerate from a stop there are no issues, only from a low speed rolling acceleration. There are no dash lights on. Before I start replacing sensors I was looking for advice on a course of action. Thanks.

showkey
09-25-2013, 01:00 PM
Sounds like one or more wheel speed sensors are not reading or sending the signal correctly. Likely sensor is the one you just worked on......left front.......but it could be any sensor.

"my abs will pulse when my speed drops to about 5 - 10" Is a classic symptom of speed sensor errors.

Aqua Puttana
09-25-2013, 01:09 PM
2006 Dodge Sprinter T1N. Soon after replacing my drivers side front rotor my abs/transmission acted up. When coming to a stop, no matter what the speed, my abs will pulse when my speed drops to about 5 - 10 mph. If I do not come to a complete stop and accelerate at this time my transmission will not fully engage and makes pulsing or jerking situation until the van accelerates out of that speed range. Once moving out of that range the transmission shifts smoothly. If I accelerate from a stop there are no issues, only from a low speed rolling acceleration. There are no dash lights on. Before I start replacing sensors I was looking for advice on a course of action. Thanks.
The first thing that I would do is to check the wiring and position of the wheel speed sensor, and also the condition of the tone ring on the changed rotor position. That said, I would expect a dash light of some sort for that. Maybe the caliper/pads are hanging up?

The real answer is to check for codes in the safety system modules. Most generic OBDII scan tools are not capable of doing that. vic

mike01001
09-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Wiring looks fine, no breaks or fraying. I've replaced rotors on this van before with no issues. Does a place like Autozone have a diagnostic tool capable of showing the code? I will search for info on proper sensor positioning. Ironically in searching info on wheel sensors I found this similar post http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9268&highlight=tone+ring. Ive never attempted messing with these sensors before and am about concerned about making this job even more expensive.

Aqua Puttana
09-25-2013, 02:13 PM
... Ive never attempted messing with these sensors before and am about concerned about making this job even more expensive.
I too would be concerned as that is a real possibility.

So many times issues like this trace back to the last things done...

Does your speedometer drop like the person mentioned in your link?

My 2004 left rear sensor is about 15 thousandths. The link mentioned 15 - 20 thousandths so that seems consistent to what I found.

An auto parts house scan tool will most likely not be able to access the wheel speed related DTC's. A Snap-on scan tool with proper adapters and program should be capable.

Here's some recent information about wheel sensors.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28827

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=260696#post260696

vic

mike01001
09-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I hadn't noticed the speedometer dropping but will test drive once I get the wheels back on and look. I realize the previous work is probably related but the discouraging thing is there is no evidence that I dislodged anything at the time of the work. Today I will check the placement of the other front wheel sensor in relation to the tone ring for comparison. Thanks for the links and advice.

mike01001
09-25-2013, 03:29 PM
On initial inspection I did not seat the new rotor close enough to the sensor. I will try to seat it further and see what happens.

Boater
09-25-2013, 08:43 PM
By rotor are you referring to a brake rotor or the tone ring?

Symptoms sound similar to the way my car behaved with a cracked tone ring (except that being manual the transmission was not affected), so if it is the tone ring you are meaning then re-seating it will likely be the solution you need. Are these heat shrunk in place on the sprinter? I came very close to getting one on my car wonky as it cooled (and shrunk) faster than I expected but I was able to knock it off quick and heat it back up again to seat properly.

mike01001
09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Was referring to the tone ring. I still can't get it to seat as close as the tone ring on the other front wheel though. I pulled the hub off and checked to make sure the bearing races were fully seated and they were. Is it possible to push the speed sensor further through the holder?