PDA

View Full Version : Cigar lighter lamp replacement

Gulf SV
09-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Anybody ever try to replace the light in the ashtray? Mine burned out, and I cannot find out what I need to buy to replace it. the parts manual shows a couple of different parts, none descriptive enough to order something, and when I finally managed to get it all apart, I could not figure out how to get the bulb from the socket.

All help is appreciated.

shortshort
09-25-2013, 05:15 AM
Try e cigs :)

Gulf SV
09-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Try e cigs :)

e-cigs? Can they help me find change in my ash tray? :idunno:

Aqua Puttana
09-25-2013, 12:59 PM
As to E-cigs...

Your change must come from within. :professor:

:cheers: vic

Gulf SV
09-25-2013, 01:12 PM
As to E-cigs...

Your change must come from within. :professor:

:cheers: vic

:lol: Really, I'd like to fix this light. But i did know this was all coming. :rolleyes:

Aqua Puttana
09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
:lol: Really, I'd like to fix this light. But i did know this was all coming. :rolleyes:
Clearly we are not capable of helping with your original change the light problem, so we have meandered to help with other possible issues.

Give us the information after you resolve the light problem. I know you'll figure it out.:thumbup:

vic

shortshort
09-25-2013, 02:56 PM

Yes. They have an led on the end.

bc339
09-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Kevin, I recently replaced the lamp when I had to repair the ash tray tracks. The tracks got broken from the constant use as a change holder. Pictures would have made this whole description easier, but I didn't believe it would be as involved as it turned out.
The easier method is to completely remove the ash tray assembly to access the lamp holder. It's held in with two torx fasteners and an electrical connector. If you carefully release all the clips that hold the metal top on the ash tray assembly, this will help alot to access the lamp. Yes, there is a spring under the latching device.
The lamp holder can be pushed out by carefully using a tool of your choice. I used small screwdrivers pushing on the lock tabs of the lamp holder. Pliers or needlenose pliers would have damaged the holder.

Edit - another method is to use two small pins. Insert the pins in between the bulb holder and receptacle to release the lock tabs. Use a pair of pliers on the terminal to pull the bulb holder out.

Pop out the holder and the lamp will pull out of the receptacle. I matched one up at the autoparts store - there are a few that look close, but the amp ratings may not match up. You'll need a good magnifying glass to read the miniscule numbers on the bulb. I'll pass the number along after I locate the spare bulb.

Bruce

Gulf SV
09-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Kevin, I recently replaced the lamp when I had to repair the ash tray tracks. The tracks got broken from the constant use as a change holder. Pictures would have made this whole description easier, but I didn't believe it would be as involved as it turned out....

Bruce

So, a funny thing happened on the way to a repair. Before my trip to North Carolina, I started working on this, and I got as far as finally getting the lamp holder off the casing around the lighter, but I couldn't get the bulb out. Seemed that every tool I thought would work was too big. Looked through all my on-line sources and could not find the part. I finally decided to visit my Sprinter parts guy thinking two heads might work better. I think I have purchased darn near every Sprinter part I've bought for the van—outside MB specific stuff— through Arthur at Byers in Columbus. The guy is a pit bull for finding parts. We couldn't find the lamp and figured it might be sold with the base(5124456-AA; MB A 000 820 17 51). Decided to check with the MB dealer first to see what they might come up with. Same numbers, and the service tech said it was an assembly. So Arthur ordered it. Came in today—holder and lighter base, but no lamp.

Oh, the funny part? somewhere between the MB parts counter yesterday and this morning, I managed to lose the lamp and holder:bash:. So I've got a new lighter base and the plastic holder, but no lamp receptacle. Did I already say :bash:?

Planning on calling Sprinter customer service Monday and let them figure it out. Meanwhile I spent half the day looking for the darn thing. I'm going to check some of the junk yards, too, while I'm at it.

bc339
09-28-2013, 03:12 AM
The lamp that was closest to the same rating is a Sylvania 2721LL - 13.5Volts, 1.2Watts.
It pulls right out of the receptacle.

Bruce