Too DEF or not to DEF?

baldpotter

We were told by the dealer the 2010 Sprinter van we purchased had a 2008 CRD Mercedes diesel under the hood and it required DEF to operate. I believed him, yet I cannot find the DEF reservoir anywhere, nor any reference to adding DEF in the owner's manual. Am I a complete idiot or is the dealer? The dealer was also unaware of the unused generator hanging under the chassis either...hmmm, I'm thinking maybe the dealer should be wearing the dunce cap.
My understanding is that the 2008 engine uses a D"P"F filter and needs no D"E"F fluid. Am I correct? If so, what should I be aware of relating to the DPF filter? Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

sailquik

baldpotter,
When you suggest "dealer" you are talking about an RV dealer right?
Did you buy the 2010 Dodge/Freightliner Sprinter that was built on a 2008 Sprinter Cab Chassis?
Either way, the dealer is totally wrong.
The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter was added to the Sprinters when the 2007 year model came out.
It was needed for the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 engine.
In 2010, the engine was still the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 CRD, but the horsepower and torque were increased from ~168 to ~ 190 with the refinements
added with the SCR (Selective Catalyst Reduction / Diesel Exhaust Fluid or DEF).
So, if it was built on a 2008 chassis....no DEF.....just a DPF.
If it was built on a 2010 chassis, then it has the both the DPF and SCR/DEF.
Maybe you need a different dealer?
Roger

baldpotter

sailquik
HA! Yes it was a Camping World dealer in Strafford, Missouri...yes we've figured out they know not what they did. We were however treated well at the CW in Asheville, North Carolina when a leaking hydronic water heater exchange plate was replaced by the folks there...they did good.
We are "learning" about our Era Sprinter (extended body, non-duels, 2008 chassis, 10,000 miles) the hard way right now. We've done no long trips yet, but are preparing to, thus the anticipated need to top off the phantom DEF reservoir.
Any other words to the wise for this Sprinter newbie with a 2008/2010 hybrid?

Last edited:

sailquik

baldpotter;
Do you have a Scan Gauge II yet?
It's the most important "add on" you can get for getting the most longevity and performance out
of your Dodge Sprinter based ERA motorhome/RV.
It can help you to drive your heavily loaded Sprinter in a manner that keeps everything in the drive
train as happy as possible while giving you the ability to troubleshoot some of the issues that do pop up
from time to time with Sprinters.
You will have to read the codes generically, but the codes can lead you to what's really wrong fairly directly
and help you to decide if it's something you need to call a tow truck for, or simply drive on carefully to a good
Sprinter service facility.
Without the Scan Gauge II... you have no idea what your engine management systems are doing.
Roger

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
what should I be aware of relating to the DPF filter? Thanks for the info!
Any other words to the wise for this Sprinter newbie with a 2008/2010 hybrid?
baldpotte
You need to use MB 229.51 spec. Oil in the Motor. These diesels are now fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) that regenerates to burn off the collected soot and need the low ash 229.51 oil.

Enjoy'...

baldpotter

Thanks to both of you,
I had found the link and have it bookmarked for future reference. I've run chevy diesels before, but certainly not the MB. Quite frankly we're not highly confident with it yet, the dealer took most of that when we left the lot.
I don't have the scan tool yet, where and how much? Where can I get a list of competent Dodge dealer qualified to do warrenty work?

Top Bottom