Advice - Buying new or used

ccm2406

Hey guys,

First post here! I'm in the market for a sprinter. My business is going to start having me travel quite a bit... roughly 1,500 miles a month or so, plus occasionally I'll need to carry a bit of cargo with me.

This brings up the question. New or used? Frankly I'm the type of person who lives by the "Buy it once, and never have to guy again" idea. Yes, their expensive vehicles, but looks like reading through the threads that if their properly maintained, then you've got an engine good for the likes of 500k +.

Ryder trucks sells used Freightliner's. But, the average '07 sprinter w/ 200k miles costs about $25k. No idea how they've been serviced, or driven...

Any advice from you guys?

Chris

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
skip ryder, find a mechanic

Try the classifieds on this forum you may get lucky...
I custom ordered mine new in 07 from a Dodge dealer for sticker out the door, (or +-10% less than sticker), it took 5 months.
Try to find a really nice used one or deal with one of the vendors here that promise the lowest prices for a new one.
Find a good Sprinter mechanic to help you own this vehicle.

businessgypsy

Curiosity fed the dog
My 2010 rig was sold by Mercedes Benz Naples Florida for $60K - before they added a giant wheelchair lift. Eighteen months later, they offered the estate of the owner $28K. I bought it for $30K. Not without a few cleaning and minor cosmetic issues, and the clips on the WIF sensor had been snapped off during a fuel filter change. Also found a loose vac hose, a suspect oil change (wrong kind) and there was a big nasty issue with the starter that ended up being covered by warranty.

In hindsight? $30K savings is quite nice, it is the window van I wanted with the options and color I wanted, taking the interior apart and all the cleaning helped me bond with the machine, and going over the engine, maintenance and problem solving schooled me on Sprinters in ways my previous NCV3 had not. My use is less critical than yours, more of a toy, but I do run it coast to coast diagonally a couple of times a year.

No matter what decision you make, take the advice of Sprinter Savant JD Caples (as I did) and assume personal responsibility for the health and well being of your van from the start. The local and on-the-road techs will help, but it's up to you to know what to look for and be aware of attention when needed. In that, you have this great forum as a guide and resource. Have fun, and welcome!

Shooting the gap north of Price, Utah

Attachments

pfflyer

Welcome to the forum. IMHO if it is something you are going to keep for several years I would buy new. I bought a high mileage used one because I intended to only use it when I had large deliveries and use my F150 for sales calls and daily use. Found out even with diesel about .50 higher than regular it was cheaper to work out of the Sprinter full time. My 2002 Sprinter averaged 23mpg an the F150 19.5mpg. Not only cheaper to drive I just enjoyed driving it and the F150 was only used rarely when I needed to carry more than 1 passenger. Got rid of both and bought a 2013 crew cargo. Mileage went down to 20mpg but I purchased through my company so fuel is bought with pre-taxed money( I do have to report personal mileage:lol:). Also effecting my decision is after joining the forum I got the conversion bug and didn't want to invest time and money on a van with 420k miles. If you buy used I would search "buying Tips" in the blue bar above and I would buy a van used by the owner. No telling how rentals were driven or how a disgruntled fleet driver treated it. That's just my opinion.
Keep us informed on your decision.

Last edited:

thlevy48

I think that the new/used decision should be based on use. In my case, I drive the van less than 30k miles per year. Because of the cost savings, I opted for used. I spent several months looking for a low mileage 3500 long tall NCV3, 2007-2010 that had been one owner or a fleet vehicle (not part of a rental fleet). After searching nationwide, I found a Sprinter with about 120,000 miles on it and have been very happy with it. Be aware that financing on a used Sprinter may be difficult because it is considered a commercial vehicle and many banks/credit unions will not loan on them.

cahaak

If you are only going to put 18K mile a year on it, I would buy a used one that you are comfortable with the usage history. In 15 years, you would only put 270K on it. I bought my '06 used for 15K with 113K on it back in the fall of '09. Really no issues on it other than maintainence (did break the serp belt recently, but not a big deal). I think you are going to get a better value used if you can find the right situation. The other issue is maybe wait a bit if needs are not pressing, because with dodge and ford introducing their large Euro type vans over here, that may change the price and competitive situation in your favor.

Chris

Top Bottom