PDA

View Full Version : do i need E load tires?

chrispsprint
09-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Ive seen posts on here where folks are using Cooper AT/3 tires. these are not E load rated. I want to get these, but sears says they wont work.
any help would be great.
thanks
04 passenger van.

sailquik
09-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Chris,
Might try someone other than Sears.
You can buy any tires you want, online, from Tire Rack...Discount Tire....several others, and they will be shipped to your nearest truck
tire store where they can be installed.
Look at your owners manual and the sticker on your driver's door jam and the driver's seat box.
If you purchase tires that do not meet the requirements of the stickers you assume some liability in an accident.
Since even passenger vans get overloaded at times (normally when you are going some place well away from home and are taking
luggage/camping gear/sports equipment) so having tires with the designed in safety margins just makes sense.
What is the wheelbase on your 04 2500 Passenger Van and how many passengers is it set up for.
Since you have a 2500 with single rear wheels, the rear tires are going to be fairly heavily loaded and you may need the higher load rating.
What do you like about the Cooper AT/3 tires?
They look a bit "all terrain"....do you plan to spend a lot of time off road or on dirt/muddy roads?
My suggestion would be Michelin LTX MS2 tires, which have the correct load ratings for Sprinters!
Roger

surlyoldbill
09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
They're not rated for the max load you MIGHT carry. If you get them, just don't ever fill your van with people and take corners hard. People put all kinds of tires on these vans, there's one around here that has low profile tires on 18" rims; it looks like crap and probably drives like crap, too. BUT, I've seen it several times over the years and it still has those tires on it, so they aren't exploding.

david_42
09-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Sears won't mount anything except the exact tire recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Your best bet might be to buy the tires and take them to an independent service station to be mounted. That way, they aren't responsible if the tires fail. As mentioned, to run at the rated load, you have to use range E tires.

hkpierce
09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
Chris,

Since even passenger vans get overloaded at times (normally when you are going some place well away from home and are taking
luggage/camping gear/sports equipment) so having tires with the designed in safety margins just makes sense.

Roger
ChrispSprint:

I agree with Rodger.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19817

11 people * 160 each: 1760
14 Packs * 50 each: ... 700
3 seats * 250 each : ... 750 (not in curb weight)
Total: . . . . ... ... ..... 3210
Not including fuel (which is not in the curb weight)

GVW: .. .. .. 8550
Curb weight: 5000
Load ......... 3550

mendonsy
09-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Ive seen posts on here where folks are using Cooper AT/3 tires. these are not E load rated. I want to get these, but sears says they wont work.
any help would be great.
thanks
04 passenger van.
I have load range E AT3's on our sprinter. They work well in snow and get reasonably good tire wear.

SullyVan
09-23-2013, 06:58 PM
I love the proper, extended life, heavy duty truck tires. They last soooo much longer. Worth the money, imo.

d_bertko
09-23-2013, 07:31 PM
The Michelins are very good.

Tires are a serious safety item. A few years back Ford spec'd tires for their Explorer SUV that were a little too close to the mfr's max rating. They compounded their error by suggesting a lower "comfort" inflation than the mfr indicated.

Upshot was that the tires started disintegrating on hot days at speeds above 60 mph when full of passengers. Typically a rear tire died under the heavier load. I was surprised at the time to learn that rear tire failure caused most of the ensuing rollovers.

Dan

L8RSK8R
09-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Mine are Michelin MXV4 255/55/18, 2039 lbs.

Dingo
09-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Use only tyres that are rated & approved for your van . Anything of a lower weight / speed / ply rating will normally invalidate your insurance , no matter which country you live in ! ! ! ! !

I suspect the U.S. would be even more liable to result in a court war following an accident , where it was found you did not have correctly rated tyres fitted . It might be possible that the lower weight rated tyres have less strength in the side walls , causing a build up of heat & that could result in tyre wall failure /de-lamination of the carcase / accelerated wear / odd handling

Carolann
09-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I had Cooper AT3's on a 10,000 pound van and they did very well in rain, mud, & highway driving. Check the Cooper website, I'm pretty sure they have your size in an E rated tire.

cahaak
09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Cooper AT3 are available in a E rated tire, just like the HT and many of their other LT tires. They do sell that tire in SUV sizes (including the same size that fits the sprinter) that are not E load rated, so make sure that you check. The E load rated tires cost more of course.

Chris

surlyoldbill
09-23-2013, 09:01 PM
ChrispSprint:

I agree with Rodger.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19817

11 people * 160 each: 1760
14 Packs * 50 each: ... 700
3 seats * 250 each : ... 750 (not in curb weight)
Total: . . . . ... ... ..... 3210
Not including fuel (which is not in the curb weight)

GVW: .. .. .. 8550
Curb weight: 5000
Load ......... 3550

I think there is a miscalculation of about 1100lbs.
11 people may average 160lbs, but 11 AMERICANS would average about 260lbs each.
So, your total load could be 4310lbs, over the GVWR.

hkpierce
09-23-2013, 09:25 PM
I think there is a miscalculation of about 1100lbs.
11 people may average 160lbs, but 11 AMERICANS would average about 260lbs each.
So, your total load could be 4310lbs, over the GVWR.

I was counting the ones in the picture in the link! They were in excellent shape. :rad:

shortshort
09-23-2013, 10:16 PM
I run D (8 ply) rated. Maxxis Bravo. Have run through maybe three sets of them in the last 8 years. Drive like a madman, carry a fair amount of crap in the van. Works for me. Depends on the temperament of one's sphincter I reckon. The load ratings seem to be adequate at 2335# a tire. In practice they are just fine.

bad_assr
09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
I put Michelin LTX A/T2 LT245/75R16 load range E on my 2006 140" 2500 and love the ride. They are a quiet tire and offer a smooth ride. I operate mine at max recommended tire inflation, I almost always have 4 dirt bikes plus 4 "big" guys and all our riding gear, spare parts, extra fuel etc. and haven't had any issues. Great tire wear so far with just over 20k on the tires.
I did, however, have to slightly modify the mud flap on the front wheel opening. It was very close to rubbing so I tapped the edge of the fender flare back with a mallet. I'm about as picky as it comes to making things work perfectly and was very satisfied with the fit, also my speedo is exact now, (checked with radar from a cop buddies squad car).
I like the E rated tire for the stiffer sidewall. You get less tire roll in the corners and with the high roof and extra weight up high inside ( I built aluminum racks to put our riding gear on, that is about 14" from the roof), I don't want tire roll.
Don't forget about the spare tire if you are going to change tire sizes.

chrispsprint
09-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys, I am currently running Michelin LTX MS now and they have gone 80k miles or a bit more by now. I just ordered some koni shocks so i was hoping to save a few hundred on the tires. I only have a two seater in the van now. I built a platform bed but planning on adding house battery system and small kitchenette. I will look into the AT3s with an E rating. I want the AT style because I do a lot of gravel roads, sometimes in a bit of snow and they also look pretty cool. But i wont pay too much extra for cool...

Chris Francis
09-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I have read that the speed sensors go bananas with varying sizes of tires, but are you okay to upsize all of the tires with a matching set of 4? Seems logical. I think I have 225/75/16 HT now, and I would like something a little taller, wider, and more aggressive.

surlyoldbill
09-24-2013, 03:08 AM
I've heard that 235/75/16 will make the speedo correct, but leaves VERY little clearance for mud or snow in the wheel well. We already only have a small bit of clearance when turning the fronts, so taller, wider tires are a bad idea in my opinion. I can roll around under my van without jacking it up, so I don't think taller tires are really needed. Block tread designs are loud and get worse mileage.
If you want better grip, have your new tires siped at the tire shop.
If it's a cosmetic thing, do whatever you like.

riskydnb
09-24-2013, 07:02 AM
I have read that the speed sensors go bananas with varying sizes of tires, but are you okay to upsize all of the tires with a matching set of 4? Seems logical. I think I have 225/75/16 HT now, and I would like something a little taller, wider, and more aggressive.

I went from LT225/75/16 to LT245/75/16 and it didnt mess anything mechanically/electrically on my 2006 2500. Tires rubbed a bit in the wheel well while turning but didnt effect my usage for delivering 200 packages every day.

Aqua Puttana
09-24-2013, 01:52 PM
The tires do all need to be matching, but as was said, not original size.

Should you change the size of your 4 tires just keep in mind that if you don't make the spare the same size the computer will notice when/if it is installed. That will cause the computer to limit performance. It will still drive, but not at the speeds you may like. vic

Chris Francis
09-24-2013, 11:55 PM
The tires do all need to be matching, but as was said, not original size.

Should you change the size of your 4 tires just keep in mind that if you don't make the spare the same size the computer will notice when/if it is installed. That will cause the computer to limit performance. It will still drive, but not at the speeds you may like. vic

In the event I need to put the improperly-sized spare on, what will happen? Stuck in second gear for limp mode? Just a little slower? Or what? Also, the tires I have now... 2 have great tread, and the other two are almost bald. How "off" must the tires be to freak out the computer? If the two I think are great turn out to be more like medium, and then I put two brand new ones on (of the same size), is that okay?
:yell:

surlyoldbill
09-25-2013, 01:29 AM
I think the final diameter is what matters to produce LHM. If you get some larger rims but lower profile tires, as long as they are the same final diameter as the spare you'll have no problems.

Aqua Puttana
09-25-2013, 01:48 AM
In the event I need to put the improperly-sized spare on, what will happen?
Read here.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4382

...Also, the tires I have now... 2 have great tread, and the other two are almost bald. How "off" must the tires be to freak out the computer? If the two I think are great turn out to be more like medium, and then I put two brand new ones on (of the same size), is that okay?
:yell:
There is tolerence built into the system. There needs to be some allowance for tire wear or even a lower pressure tire. Both of those things can affect the effective diameter. I haven't ever seen where anyone put a number or percentage to it though.

vic

NelsonSprinter
09-25-2013, 02:32 AM
I put different sized tires on to see what would happen, front 235/75R15 and rear 225/70R15 and it was not limp home mode but the ASR came on braking due to the different tire speeds it thought was a skid, Triangle light on and intermittent braking to get the tires at the same speed. Pressed the ASR button and it still felt weird but wasn't braking.
Front diameter tires were 28.8", rear 27.4"

shortshort
09-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Is it anything like the first Jeep ABS where people were rolling backward off of mountains because the brakes didn't work if a wheel was in the air?

Chris Francis
09-25-2013, 11:55 AM
I read the spare tire thread. I can live with that. The spare would be only in case of emergency, and I don't travel too far from home, so it wouldn't be on there long. Basically, it would drive kinda weird, especially around 60 MPH. No biggee! Maybe I will lift it up and put monster truck tires on it, all the same size of course.

MillionMileSprinter
09-25-2013, 01:23 PM
Keep reading the tire threads on the forum. Many others have gone down the "larger/smaller/wider/taller" road and have posted their results. IIRC, you put ONE tire on that's a different size (the spare) it will send you into Limp Mode. The biggest problem you will have with larger tires is the front wheel wells. The rears have lots of space and you can easily use a block lift between the axle and leaf springs to get the desired height. But the fronts have less space to play with and are much harder/more expensive to lift. Usually the first/easiest thing to trim in the front is the inside of the bumper. I had to trim that back an inch or so to fit my 255/55/18 wheel and tires.
Good luck.