PDA

View Full Version : Its time for Brake pads & Rotors...OEM?

SoCalSprinter
09-23-2013, 04:46 AM
I need pads & rotors this week but i am still looking for the right combination.
Ive found a few interesting threads pursuing ceramic pads but they lead to dead ends.
The OEM combo stops great but leaves my wheels and tires covered in scorching brake dust. The paint on my steel wheels has been ruined.

I know friction is our friend and brake dust is evidence of just how much i need my brakes in this urban labyrinth, but Im not overly concerned with my ability to pull an emergency stop under full cargo load since I always run my pass van completely empty (without benches) as a nimble daily driver.

I am willing to compromise industrial strength braking for a softer touch with less dust, within reason. I am also willing to adapt my driving style as needed.

Who among you has found this winning combination?

shortshort
09-23-2013, 05:16 AM
anything but oem pads. Those are the worst imaginable.

Douglas Hicks
09-23-2013, 04:11 PM
My 2005 longtall got 30,000 miles from the factory pads and rotors. I got over 80,000 miles on my next pads and rotors from Upscale. I do not know the brand.

SoCalSprinter
09-23-2013, 04:30 PM
That's great info but my issue isn't longevity.
My issue is excessive brake dust ruining my wheels.
How is you brake dust?

sailquik
09-23-2013, 06:26 PM
SoCalSprinter,
Consider that the "brake dust" you see on your wheels is about 50% rotor material.
Yes, the OEM pads and rotors are designed so the pads and rotors wear approx. the same amount.
So, you get a lot of ferrous "dust" on your wheels which is difficult to clean off unless you stay after it.
I get > 100,000 miles on a set of brakes on the 3500's, I do downshift quite a bit and use the minimal engine
braking. I also ascribe the Juan Manuel Fangio's remarks on using your brakes....spend as little time as possible
with the brakes on....use them....then get off them.....no rolling along with partial braking.
I have a normal amount of brake/rotor dust, but it washes off an leaves the rims looking nearly like when they
were new.
I vote for the OEM brakes.....for those of you who think the OEM brakes squeak and squeal too much, I have a short story.
Guy I know worked at Bendix Brake in upstate NY. The engineering staff there were constantly experimenting with different materials.
They finally came to the conclusion that Europeans want brakes that stop the vehicle best....Americans want brakes that are quiet....and will stop the vehicle eventually.
Unfortunately you cannot have it both ways...there has to be a compromise on either the stopping power... or the noise.
Roger

shortshort
09-23-2013, 10:42 PM
The OEMs are fine till you get them hot. Then they start to act out. My first two sets were OEM. Both behaved the same. "Hideous" sums it up nicely.

jmoller99
09-23-2013, 10:55 PM
My Rotors looked fine to me. I bought the premium pads for my 2002 (asked for 2003 Dodge parts) from Advance Auto Parts (A chain) - They work great (no dust) - a bit over $100 for the front/rear pads. Next time I'll change the rotors too.

The Brake pad brand/model was 'Wagner Severe Duty'. I have around 3000 miles on them since the change - excellent Brake pads.

surlyoldbill
09-24-2013, 02:57 PM
I bought off ebay and they have worked fine. I think total for front rotors and pads was about $100. Rear pads were under $50.
People say to avoid slotted or drilled rotors for Sprinters.