Your Real Life experience with Motorcycle Carriers

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Hi folks,

I have a 2008 Suzuki SV650s motorcycle. Recently, a 2004 Sprinter 2500 was added to the stable. Moto's name is Suzi. The Sprinter does not have a frivolous name because it is a Cargo Van. So far they seem to get along well in the driveway, and I have see a wonderful future where the three of us roam the mountains and valleys together, like peas in a pod. No, Suzi does not want to be stuck way out back alone on a trailer, as if she were nothing but Cargo. Besides, I don't want to deal with the extra length. But I don't want Suzi inside mucking up the place either, so please don't suggest I bring the moto inside the van. These are civilized living quarters I'm setting up here, not some "toy hauler". (well the mountain bike & road bike get to come inside, but that's different)

Before I purchased the sprinter I looked with envy at the folks on the road who used receiver hitch carriers to bring their motos with them. Among the vehicles using this setup were a number of sprinter vans. "That's the ticket," I said to myself with admiration, "I will surely be happy as a clam, living in my van, and shuttling on mountain bike rides. I'll get where I want to be, set up a stable camp, and use my moto for commuting around. That will be SO SWEET."

I bought the van and installed a Curt class IV hitch, with 1,000 lb tongue weight capacity. Suzi weighs 385 lbs / 437 lbs soaking wet. I began poring over motorcycle carrier reviews, and narrowed down the search to:

But then, this forum shattered my dreams.

I have read, and I acknowledge the following concerns with my plan:
  1. the sprinter chassis is (according to some forum members) not up to the task
  2. the Curt hitch's 1,000 lb tongue rating assumes the use of a weight distribution hitch
  3. every inch of distance from the end of the receiver hitch tube increases the leverage that the motorcycle will have on the hitch, and thereby increase the effective load
  4. weight distribution is an issue, and this will bring the CG way back, lightening the front load and undermining handling performance
  5. since my van is not a dually, the handling will be EVEN WORSE
  6. (space reserved for additional nay-saying from ivory or emerald towers)

I don't care. I want to do it anyway, dammit. I see all sorts of jalopy pickups, jeeps, etc. using the same setup, apparently without issue. AND I have seen other sprinters on the road with this setup, and the driver always looks super content, happy as a clam, as I wish to be. My Sprinter is a CARGO VAN!!!!

Do you have personal experience using this setup? Horror stories that will dissuade me from my plan? I want to hear someone say, "Yes Pirate, I have put on 100,000 carefree miles with my giant Harley on the back of my Sprinter 2500, with no issues. Go ahead. Buy the carrier, you have my blessing."

Do you experience with specific brands/models of moto carriers? If so, I'll be grateful for your advice.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Sweet, thanks CJPJ.

I learned a few things from your links:

• The Sprinter store has some braces to reinforce the chassis for the NCV3 Sprinter. Maybe they also have a version for my T1N. If not, I imagine I could fabricate something myself.
  • Teamtexas (Dan) has made his own carrier that gave me some ideas. In some of the other posts I looked at, I saw the use of additional receiver tubes bolted or welded on to reduce sway... If I go the fabrication route I will consider this option as well...
  • catalina38 uses an UltimatexHauler rack to carry his KLR on a '04 Sprinter, and it looks like its in a similar weight range. :rad: This was the most helpful post so far--though catalina didn't mention how long the setup has been in use, and if there have been any issues...

There were a couple links that seemed unrelated, except for the fact that they had the words "motorcycle" and "carrier" in them. Just curious, did you do a search and then send me the links? I want to assure you, I did a number of searches and spent a couple hours browsing before creating a new post--I don't want to waste anybody's time! :cheers:

Very hopeful to hear the real life experiences of someone using the kind of setup I'm talking about. Most of the posts I'm seeing refer to numbers and calculations--but since I'm operating at the border of the recommended values, I will appreciate practical (as opposed to theoretical) information. I know you folks are out there; I have seen you on the road! Anyone with a few thousand miles in carrying a 400 lb moto on one of these carriers?

Last edited:

L8RSK8R

2006 2.7 Mercedes 2500
I've covered 20,000+ miles using a Versahaul 55 RO, carrying an 01 Aprilia Mille R/07 ZX6R.

First time unloading the bike, I unlatched one strap (clutch side) and the bike lunged towards the rear doors, denting/scratching the doors. Now I use two ratchet straps & Canyon Dancer on the front end. In addition to Canyon Dancer, I also use two camlock straps, over the the forks for added security.
Remove Canyon Dancer and slowly loosen the camlock straps simultaneously....so forks can decompress evenly.

Love the fact you don't need to roll around at 55MPH. I always removed my license plate (the bike will block license plate) and placed it on the carrier, which I also zip-tied/safety wired.
I was nervous as hell the first few times using this setup. I do have a camera mounted up by the 3rd brake light, so I could view the bike, make sure no straps had broken/come loose.

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
I've covered 20,000+ miles using a Versahaul 55 RO, carrying an 01 Aprilia Mille R/07 ZX6R.
A Mille! I am jealous, have always wanted to hop on one of them rocketships. Thanks for the info.

And 20,000 miles, man that sounds like some good times. Hope a good amount of that was play, not work miles. :bounce:

Sorry to hear about the dings on your van doors. I never heard of the Canyon Dancers before--looks like a good setup. I also have been reading that some folks use a fork brace to avoid compressing the fork to begin with. I like that idea since it would eliminate the pogo stick action, but I'm not sure how secure I would feel without the constant resistance the forks offer while driving. I have no rear camera, so I gotta convince myself its bomber before I hop in the cab!

Thanks laterskater. This gives me much needed confidence.

BTW, does the front end feel "light", or do you notice unusual "sway" when you have the bike on back?

K

L8RSK8R

2006 2.7 Mercedes 2500
Front end never feels light. I occasionally tow a Featherlite open trailer, and Subaru track car 5000lbs +/- Barely noticeable, unless going over the Grapevine towards Laguna Seca.

I've yet to hear of someone blowing out fork seals, from 3 to 4 hours of constant fork compression. I'd say my forks compress about 1.5" when on the carrier. Two more straps on the rear of the bike and one strap around the frame, connected to the hitch carrier.

15 mins to install carrier & load the bike.

davisdave

2005 140 tall passenger
I have the same hitch and carry a 300lb drz on a homemade single rack. The van rides smoother and handles well with the added weight. I drilled two 1/2" holes in the bottom of the receiver and then welded two nuts in the bottom of the rack mount tube...secured with bolts, it eliminates the rack rocking.
The hitch may be rated for 1000lb tongue, but the van is rated for 500lb. The curt hitch adds two big bolts, so it should be able to handle more.
By my reckoning:
Lets say the distance from the rear axle to the rack is x and the distance between the axles is 2x.
rack load = 500lb
rear axle load = 750lb
front axle load = -250lb

disclaimer: i r not enginear

conclusion: get a nice round passenger or load heavy stuff like water jugs and coolers toward the front:idunno:

For years i carried the same bike on the back of a Toyota sr5! That may have been a little crazy, but i never had any problems. I could definitely tell the bike was back there, not so much on the Sprinter

Now pushing your bike up the ramp may not be so fun:tongue:

Attachments

L8RSK8R

2006 2.7 Mercedes 2500
Hope a good amount of that was play, not work miles. All play, Chuckwalla, Willow Springs & Milestone/Pala MX track. I'm done with it for now. Haven't been on track in over a year. Bikes will be sold soon :/

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
disclaimer: i r not enginear

conclusion: get a nice round passenger or load heavy stuff like water jugs and coolers toward the front:idunno:
YAAAASSSS, this is all what I want to hear! I honestly had no qualms until reading a few posts that made it sound like my chassis would bend in half if I did this... :thinking:

I really think this will work ok... Just gotta figure out which carrier to get. Will probably make some plates to reinforce the chassis rails forward a few feet...

Thanks davisdave and L8RSK8R.

Now I need to think about getting one of these so I can shuttle MTB rides when its just me! :tongue:

Attachments

Last edited:

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Hope a good amount of that was play, not work miles. All play, Chuckwalla, Willow Springs & Milestone/Pala MX track. I'm done with it for now. Haven't been on track in over a year. Bikes will be sold soon :/
Well, everything ends I am learning. I hope offloading the bikes makes room in your life for better things.

K

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Sprinterpirate,

I think you need more info than what your getting. And maybe need to provide a little more info.

First, are you hauling just the SV? I wasn't understanding the "muck" reference. It's a road bike. What muck has you in a tizzy?

Second, the SV has an overall length around 78", longer than the Sprinter is wide. Just a point of consideration.

Third, Davisdave's math is pretty screwy. If you're going to use his logic, go do your own measurements. And don't forget the load out back is dynamic—it is going to be bouncing up and down.

Your total static weight will be less than the tongue weight restrictions, so that's not a problem, but personally, I wouldn't want one of my scooters being the buffer between me and some a-hole who can't get stopped in time.

Remember the Beverly Hillbillies' rig? Just because someone else has done it doesn't mean it's practical or safe, for you or others on the road around you.

So, here's my :2cents: worth. Sprinters can be nervous when they're loaded light on the front axle. You want to carry weight up front, and the like to have about 25-30% of their weight on the front axle. My first trip to Barber fully loaded was a handful, partly due to my inexperience with Sprinters, and with the way I was loaded. I moved my tool box(about 100#)and my generator to behind the front seats, and the ride was much nicer.

If you didn't find this thread, go check it out. Lot's of good info on loading both axles. I'm keen on all this because when I get to the track, I don't want to be wore out by the drive. I can easily do 600 miles in a day and not feel hassled by the trip.

'Nuf said, cause you're gonna do what you want to do, but consider finding a way to move inside with the bike. You'll have lots more fun getting where you need to go, and you'll be ready to ride when you get there.

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Sprinterpirate,

I think you need more info than what your getting. And maybe need to provide a little more info.

First, are you hauling just the SV? I wasn't understanding the "muck" reference. It's a road bike. What muck has you in a tizzy?

Second, the SV has an overall length around 78", longer than the Sprinter is wide. Just a point of consideration.

Third, Davisdave's math is pretty screwy. If you're going to use his logic, go do your own measurements. And don't forget the load out back is dynamic—it is going to be bouncing up and down.
Hi Kevin, thanks for the advice...

I'm just hauling the SV. The "mucking up the place" is actually me quoting my dad, who used to say that whenever I brought my bicycles in the house. And, though I didn't think of it as I was writing, that's how I meant it too.

I'm going to be living out of my van, probably for the next year. My job keeps me on the road most of the time, so I have finally decided to stop paying rent, hopefully work a little less, and enjoy my time off as a series of road trips and temporary home bases. Its a 140" wheelbase, and I expect it will be crowded at times. I would much rather be able to keep my motorcycle outside--even though I know it could be stored inside, I think it would seriously undermine my sanity. Plus it would be sharing the space with my work gear, climbing gear, two bicycles, a bed, etc. :rolleyes: If I'm in a tizzy, its because I'm used to a little more breathing room.

So that's why I want it outside while I'm around. Why not get a trailer? Well, its hard enough finding a place to park the Sprinter when I'm out of town for a month--I don't want to add to the difficulty by having a trailer to store as well. Also I like to tuck my vehicle in to some small, out of the way spots when I camp, and I like the back roads. I hate dealing with a trailer if I don't need to.

As for the width, I know! I had it parked right up against the back end of the sprinter, and it undermines one of the things I love about the sprinter--its narrow track width. But not by too much--I was recently towing an enclosed trailer that was wider. EDIT - It actually is almost 8" wider, so the tires will stick out 4" on either side.

Some of my gear is dense enough that I think I'll be able to compensate for the tail weight, but I know it will be a challenge to keep enough up front. And I agree, ride quality does matter--thats why I ended up purchasing konis all around and a roadmaster swaybar. If I have one gripe about the Sprinter, its that its chassis doesn't seem stout enough to handle the loads that people will obviously load in a cargo area thats so expansive.

You're right, I still am leaning towards going for it, inspite of many recommendations for prudence. I suppose the comments that stand out for me most are the ones that make me think I'll damage the van, or myself, in the process. I will know after the first drive if it affects the van's handling too severely.

As for math--there are a million theoretical reasons not to get in a car in the first place. Statistically its pretty dangerous. Motorcycles even more so. What I'm wondering is, has anyone on this forum actually damaged their chassis using one of these carriers? If so, was it user error (i.e: not preventing "rocking" or inadequately securing the bike) or was it mechanical failure?

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Kevin mentioned the dynamic vs static load, but MB doesnt differentiate. If they say 500# it doesnt matter. That 500# trailer tongue weight becomes dynamic once you start driving. Youve come to the right place for sprinter info. Good luck!

calbiker

Cool photo. Saw something like that motorcycle/bike carrier while mountain biking in Prescott, Az a couple days ago. I carry a Yamaha XT225 on the back of my Sprinter MH. I love that cycle. It got over 50k miles on the back of my MH. Besides the 2" hitch, I also added two 1 1/4" hitches. It really adds to the stability.

Be sure to get an aluminum carrier. Mine is from Add-A-Bike.

Cal

Now I need to think about getting one of these so I can shuttle MTB rides when its just me! :tongue:

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Kevin mentioned the dynamic vs static load, but MB doesnt differentiate. If they say 500# it doesnt matter. That 500# trailer tongue weight becomes dynamic once you start driving. Youve come to the right place for sprinter info. Good luck!
Thanks Type2Teach, you sure are prolific my friend! Yeah, that's how I was thinking when I started this search. But I have read many posts discussing "moment of inertia", etc, and I think I know what Kevin means: even if you have the thing fastened down really tight, and its not rocking, you still have that weight suspended at the end of a big lever. Even if MB doesn't differentiate, there is an actual difference!

One thing I like about the Versahaul and Mototote (as opposed to the other two I listed), is you can adjust the distance between the bike tray and the hitch itself. That way you can minimize the leverage the bike has on the hitch, and in turn on the chassis.

Cool photo. Saw something like that motorcycle/bike carrier while mountain biking in Prescott, Az a couple days ago. I carry a Yamaha XT225 on the back of my Sprinter MH. I love that cycle. It got over 50k miles on the back of my MH. Besides the 2" hitch, I also added two 1 1/4" hitches. It really adds to the stability.

Be sure to get an aluminum carrier. Mine is from Add-A-Bike.
Cal
Hey calbiker! I think you're onto something with the XT225. I heard that bike is good fun! This whole thing has me thinking I ought to just get rid of the SV and get a lighter bike--just need to spring for a KTM 690. 64 Nm @ 305 lbs!!!

I saw you wrote about the added 1 1/4" hitches on the discussion about versa-lift carrier. Yours were bolted on, right? Is that something you purchased as a kit or did you fab it yourself?

Also, regarding the Add-A-Bike, I saw it discussed at ADVRider forum, I'm wondering if you were in on that discussion too. I saw alot of mention about securing the bike with the pegs, which I think is the setup you have. Not sure that particular setup would work with my bike.

Why aluminum? Eliminating rust or for light weight? I was actually thinking an alu tray would be ideal, to prevent rust and to reduce weight. But is the main tube that fits in the receiver aluminum? That would scare me, considering the way aluminum fatigues, and then fails catastrophically--instead of just bending like steel does. Not that I think its an issue for your bike, but mine is at least $1.50 heavier than yours...

Ahrrr all this talk about biking and moto riding. I'm working in the hills of PA and its beautiful out right now. Wish I had a bicycle with me! :drool:

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I heard that bike is good fun! This whole thing has me thinking I ought to just get rid of the SV and get a lighter bike--just need to spring for a KTM 690. 64 Nm @ 305 lbs!!!
Yes, and get a KTM, a plated EXC, with two sets of wheels for offroad and on. :smilewink:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Thanks Type2Teach, you sure are prolific my friend! Yeah, that's how I was thinking when I started this search. But I have read many posts discussing "moment of inertia", etc, and I think I know what Kevin means: even if you have the thing fastened down really tight, and its not rocking, you still have that weight suspended at the end of a big lever. Even if MB doesn't differentiate, there is an actual difference!
I wasn't being clear, sorry. I was pecking away on my phone. Of course there is an actual difference between static and dynamic loading. I have personally learned this the hard way. What I'm saying is that MB takes this into consideration when they say no more than 500# tongue weight.
Yes, keeping the weight as near the bumper as possible is better than having it hang way out there. But MB over-engineers their products to *safely* handle the loads up to and including the limits. After pulling a 5000# trailer all over the North East US this summer, I feel pretty confident that a 350# motorcycle can be safely secured to a properly installed rear hitch.
I think the extra supports for the outer edges are a great idea, by the way. :thumbup:

Where in PA are you? I've mountain biked numerous trails from Philly to Pittsburgh.

shortshort

Dis member
I have a Joe Hauler. It's carried everything from a 'tard to a Desmosedici. Maybe 100 trackdays. Loaned it out a few times as well. Indestructible, comes with a ramp, and has this gadget built in that tightens it into the receiver so no wobbles. Last use was picking up a 10R from the wreckers after my buddy's nasty spill on Palomar. Worked fine even wrangling that tattered hag onto it. Surprised it's not on your list.

Link to the one I have:

http://www.joehauler.com/camloc/pdf-files/haulers/JD-HAUL05.pdf

Last edited:

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
Yes, and get a KTM, a plated EXC, with two sets of wheels for offroad and on. :smilewink:
Seek, you are speaking my language. Either the 690, 500, or 350... But man are they expensive--and then you have to line up & beg for availability!
After pulling a 5000# trailer all over the North East US this summer, I feel pretty confident that a 350# motorcycle can be safely secured to a properly installed rear hitch.
I think the extra supports for the outer edges are a great idea, by the way. :thumbup:

Where in PA are you? I've mountain biked numerous trails from Philly to Pittsburgh.
Yesss. I think my strategy of initial hostility to naysayers worked. EVERYONE IS TELLING ME WHAT I WANT TO HEAR: GET THE BIKE CARRIER! HUAHAHAHAHAHA AAAA HAAAAA!!!! :rad::rad::rad::rad:

I'm staying in Altoona, and working in Portage for the next few weeks. From the looks of this terrain, I would be surprised if you haven't been riding out here! And if you haven't, you should check it out. I have seen some ATV trails at least.

I sure am grateful to be able to witness the leaves turning this year. Haven't seen that in a while.

I have a Joe Hauler. It's carried everything from a 'tard to a Desmosedici. Maybe 100 trackdays. Loaned it out a few times as well. Indestructible, comes with a ramp, and has this gadget built in that tightens it into the receiver so no wobbles. Last use was picking up a 10R from the wreckers after my buddy's nasty spill on Palomar. Worked fine even wrangling that tattered hag onto it. Surprised it's not on your list.
Link to the one I have:

http://www.joehauler.com/camloc/pdf-files/haulers/JD-HAUL05.pdf
Shortshort, you are for reals. I have never even seen a Desmosedici in person.... :bow:

Well then. If this carrying solution is good enough for your fine wheeled machinery, it certainly is good enough for my ratty ol' Suzi. It will make its way to the list ASIP (as soon as i post).

The carriers are all starting to blend together. Can't believe how many models are on the market. Now that I'm comparing them in earnest, I'm starting to consider making one myself that has all the features I want: adjustable drawbar length, two additional support bars like Calbiker has, etc. The question is: do I spend time earning money to pay someone to make it, or do I spend time building it myself after i get home from spending time earning money?

Ah man, too much time on the ol' compu today. I'm getting delirious. :crazy:

Last edited:

Top Bottom