2004 sprinter 2500 fuelpump ??

Rodney 49

I have had a humming or low pitch vibration which sounds like it is from the motor. This sound happens when the motor warms up and continues as I drive. It also can be heard after the motor is not running. This only last for a short time and sounds like a hum or medium pitch vibration. I had my in tank fuel tank pump replaced. This did not solve the problem. Preformance has not been effected. The motor runs strong. This has been going on for over 10,000 miles.....What is this hum or whinning noise???

segler

2003 158" 3500 Class B RV
I also have a hum only when the engine is warm. I suspect the idler bearing for the AC compressor V-belt, which wiggles a little when running. 2003 T1N. More thoughts?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
It could the "dosing pump" for the Espar heating system. It is located on/near the firewall between the engine block and the battery. Use the search function and you can find a photo of it.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
If you have a smartphone or digital camera, please post a recording to Youtube and post a link on here so we can hear it too ?

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Water pump for the aux heater (Espar) if that is installed. Electric pump on the firewall, driver's side. It runs anytime the motor is running. Put your hand on it when the motor is cold. You'll probably feel the unit vibrating.

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
Here's a photo. It's below and behind the brake booster.

DSC_0003.jpg

Wonder why you first suspected the fuel pump??:thinking:

Gulf SV

Kevin Burns
It could the "dosing pump" for the Espar heating system. It is located on/near the firewall between the engine block and the battery. Use the search function and you can find a photo of it.
Joel, isn't the dosing pump under the van, like below the driver seat? The water pump is what's on the firewall. :thinking:

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Joel, isn't the dosing pump under the van, like below the driver seat? The water pump is what's on the firewall. :thinking:
You could be correct. I may have the wrong name for the pump. But you and I are talking about the same pump, whatever it's called. One would think I would remember the name because I had to replace it in my '02:idunno:

A few things to check

The aux electric water pump which Kevin mentioned.

The fuel lines under the van have been known to break loose from the plastic supports and may then make noise.

The high pressure fuel pump relief valve.

Turbo John gives this method for checking for the pump relief valve.

Turbo John said:
You will hear that when the fuel pump is on.........thats the clue. Mine is mostly when ts hot. Sprinter fuel pumps will turn on for 25-30 seconds and stay on for about 2 seconds after turning the key off and of course stay on during running.

My drone/hum would stay on for 25 seconds with just the key on...and then quit when the fuel pump shuts down.or after about 25 seconds.
Not one person mentioned that for some reason....that alone will tell you its the fuel pump high pressure relief.

I can hear while the engine is running as well.......so if its bad so to speak anytime you turn the key on you will hear it........running or not running.
I knew it was that when I read the sprinter fuel pump runs for about 25-30 seonds when you turn the key on and that is the real clue...

You dont need to feel or touch a thing.........if you turn the key on without starting the engine and you have the hum.............then thats what it is.........cause the hum will stop with the fuel pump shuts down...........25 seconds
vic

Last edited:

drew502

I just stumbled onto this thread and I'm certain that I have this issue with the high pressure relief valve on my 04/T1N/2500. I have had the exact symptoms described by Turbo John since I bought the vehicle and it has always annoyed me. In another post Dr. A says that almost all 04's have this issue if the valve has not been changed.

Could someone be so kind as to post pictures of the pump and valve location and any tips for replacement?

Also, does replacing the valve:
1. quiet the pump while the vehicle is running and
2. eliminate starting and stopping pump drone,
3. do anything else?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Also, does replacing the valve:
1. quiet the pump while the vehicle is running and
2. eliminate starting and stopping pump drone,
3. do anything else?

Thanks!
Reports are that it quiets everything.

I don't believe that it affects operation at all, but I suppose it could over the long haul. :idunno:

Could someone be so kind as to post pictures of the pump and valve location and any tips for replacement?
039HighPressPump.jpg

040HighPressPump.jpg

041HighPressPump.jpg

042HighPressPump.jpg

043HighPressPump.jpg

It is mounted on the front of the engine. You will recognize it from the pictures above.

Turbo John did a great job of describing the valve change.

Turbo John said:
I had the same problem and nobody really had the answer for me but I just finished it so I can tell you.

The Fuel pressure relief valve under the left side of the forward mechanical fuel pump would be difficult to do without the following.

Took me one hour.

I cut a 16 MM box end wrench down to 5 inches in length and narrowed the handle for more movement.

you need that exact wrench.

Remove the fan shroud.....no need to touch the radiator.

Remove the Serpentine Belt.

Remove the Turbo Shroud

Now you can attach the box end to the valve almost from the front and turn it clockwise.

Its a good idea to get a Mirror for the location and of course have the new fuel pressure valve

My ball valve in the old part was coated with the diesel fuel death.

Replace everything and no more noise! :rad:

I decided to replace the serpentine belt because it had 75,000 miles. It was dry cracked so a good idea. 45.00 dollars for a new dayco belt was worth it. The valve cost $58.00 dollars.

Hope this helps youl.....
vic

drew502

Ok, if it's not possible to access the valve w/o removing stuff? . . . how would the uninitiated figure out how to remove:

Remove the fan shroud.....no need to touch the radiator.

Remove the Serpentine Belt.

Remove the Turbo Shroud

Top Bottom