Kitchen Sink Separation

My wife and I are the new and happy owners of a 2012 Unity MB. We were previous owners of a Winnebago Rialta and I must say we are delighted with our choice.

We took our MOHO out for a couple day 'shakedown' trip and everything worked great with one exception. The kitchen sink separated from the Corian counter top while my wife was doing the dishes. When I got under the counter to take a look, the sink mounting clips were hanging down held by what was left of the epoxy that was used to mount them in the first place. I was able to easily pull the clips off.

We limped along for the remainder of the trip by using some plastic cups to hold the sink in place to avoid moving the plumbing around too much.

We took the unit to the dealer and he explained that LTV uses that mounting approach due to the Corian counter, inferring that using screws of some type would not be good for the counter.

My personal opinion is that LTV should explore another mounting method. I do have a couple of questions for the group:

1. Has anyone else had this experience?
2. If so, did you come up with another method of mounting the sink?

If you haven't had this problem, you may want to check your mounting clips from time to time to ensure that are holding up OK.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
We have not had this experience, and I thank you for sharing. I will take a look at ours.

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
No problem with the sink, but we had the garbage can mount come loose. The garbage can is supported by plywood strips that are glued to the bottom of the counter. Looks like silicon rather than epoxy.

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
That's not epoxy. If you bonded a sink to a rough counter material with epoxy, you'd have to destroy one of them ( or superheat the epoxy) to get them apart.

mumkin

I have had no problem with either... and mine has been driven on some pretty bad roads in the last few years... mine was built with the first of the 2012s.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
SullyVan,

Thanks for the comment. Do you happen to know what it might be if not epoxy?
I'm sorry. Without being there, I don't know. Probably a less expensive adhesive.

For the past 3 years, I have been building a large boat out of foam, fiberglass and epoxy. I work with it literally every day, so that's why the passionate response. :)

If you do use epoxy to stick it back in place, you will need to clamp/steady it for a couple hours while the epoxy cures. You will also need to get a thickening agent (colloidal silica) to make the epoxy more solid... so it doesn't just run/drip out of where you want it.

Marine stores have specialty little vials of overpriced, but pre thickened epoxy called marine-tex. That might be the easiest and least expensive way for such a small job.

Just make sure to rough up any areas you want to bond together. The surface needs to be keyed (roughened) to bond well.

PS: Silicone is a terrible bonding agent. It's more of a "gasket maker" . If there is silicone oily residue on anything you are planning to bond, it must be completely removed in order to have the proper adhesive stick.

Last edited:

mumkin

If you have not called the warranty department at the factory yet, I would do so. This is the sort of issue that Brad in Warranty wants to know about...

grumman

Hi everybody,

I have a 2012 Unity C B and the sink start to separate from the Corian counter

LTV had been noticed and they will repair it under warranty

Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom